Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:02 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,208,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I actually think it's rude to have your car sitting, taking up a pump long after it's done while someone is inside shopping. There have been times especially in the morning rush when I'd drive around the pumps looking for an open one, and half the cars sitting there are done but the owners nowhere in sight as they are inside getting coffee or breakfast sandwiches. If the station is busy, get gas first then go inside.
When I finish pumping my gas, paying for it, etc, I drive my car up to a parking space, and go inside for whatever I may want to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM

4,245 posts, read 3,784,925 times
Its incredibly rude to go inside when you pump your gas. Ive been to many pumps where I am waiting behind a car that is fully fueled but the owner is still inside the store getting what he needs. I always pump, then pull up and go into the store and get what I need so that the car or potential car behind me does not have to sit there and wait for me.

I live in NJ where you dont pump your own gas and ive heard many attendants say how they wish they could tell people to stay in their car because it backs things up when they get out but they arent allowed too. They just have to deal with it unfortunately.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:01 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,691,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But in the nanny state of Vermont it is legal to self-pump gas while nude, as long as you remain out by your car on the pump island. Can you do that in your free red state?

Ah, wait, I know what your libertarian reply will be: "But I don't want to do that, so that's not a protected freedom."
Sadly, we're past the naked gas pumping season for this year, anyway.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,786,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
First off I don't leave the pump running because I am a cheap son of a ***** who doesn't fill up, I tend to buy $20 at a time. With that said a $1,500 fine for something that most of us did not even know was illegal is insane. If that's the law and the fine then it needs to be posted. "Do not leave your car unattended" is simply not the same thing, not even close.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 796 times
I worked in aviation and jet fuel is less likely to explode or catch fire than gasoline. We had to take extream measures to ground and operate the fueling system on the aircraft in order to avoid explosion and fire. Since gasoline has a lower flashpoint and is many times more likely to ignite than jet fuel I have to wonder why we even let untrained and unqualified people operate gas pumps as Joe public is usally too stupid to walk and chew gum at the same time. It's amazing we haven't had a rash of gas station fueling deaths!!!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,756,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetruckman43 View Post
I worked in aviation and jet fuel is less likely to explode or catch fire than gasoline. We had to take extream measures to ground and operate the fueling system on the aircraft in order to avoid explosion and fire. Since gasoline has a lower flashpoint and is many times more likely to ignite than jet fuel I have to wonder why we even let untrained and unqualified people operate gas pumps as Joe public is usally too stupid to walk and chew gum at the same time. It's amazing we haven't had a rash of gas station fueling deaths!!!
Beautifully stated, DidgeTruckMan . . . I could not agree more.

Although a few years now, I will never forget witnessing the aftermath of a Gas Station explosion (post #6). I have often wondered / questioned how much we save with Self Serve / Pump You Own Stations.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,837,471 times
This would never happen in MA. The pump handles don't even have a notch to leave it fueling unattended. You have to hold down the handle the entire time. Sucks when it's middle of winter and the wind chill is 20 below zero.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:16 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,229,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
No I've never heard of it... Where are you located...
Common sense at the gas pump?

It seems like a lot of people haven't heard of it either.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,873,566 times
About a year ago the auto shut off function on the pump malfunctioned and gas went everywhere, I was right there to shut it off, but it is amazing how much gas comes blowing out of there. If I had been inside (which I never do), that thing would have kept pumping gas out until the auto shut off started working, or I or someone went to shut it off.

I use my CC to pay all the time anyway, I have not gone inside to pay for gas in almost 20 years.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:24 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,510,796 times
I have never understood the need to go inside while pump is on - how much time does it take like may be few minutes at most? Are people really that busy that they can't do just one thing for a few minutes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive