Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:54 PM

45,454 posts, read 60,666,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
sometimes the pumps don't shut off and gas spills onto the ground. That's why you should never be far away from the fueling operation. Simple, common sense.
Something in short supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 05:57 PM

24,491 posts, read 26,033,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What about remote starters?

I do it more in the summer. I can take the key out while it's running, lock the wheel and the door, and...

...it can't be stolen, any more than any other vehicle.

Remote starters are covered in the last part of the video and are exempt if there is no key in the ignition.

Thats what I do.

It can be stolen easier if the keys are in the ignition.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:01 AM

16,289 posts, read 10,434,651 times
First off I don't leave the pump running because I am a cheap son of a ***** who doesn't fill up, I tend to buy $20 at a time. With that said a $1,500 fine for something that most of us did not even know was illegal is insane. If that's the law and the fine then it needs to be posted. "Do not leave your car unattended" is simply not the same thing, not even close.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:32 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,035,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah I saw a video where a spark ingnites the gas and the the guy pulls the nozzle out and it like a flame thrower throwing gas and fire all over the station
Out of curiosity, how should we handle this situation if it ever arises?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:41 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,192,845 times
Maybe the law is a good idea, but it should be posted that it's a law... and $1,500? Good grief, that's a week's salary for a fairly well off person, more for a poorer person. Maybe a $100 fine would be a good idea, after giving the gas stations a period of a few months to post about the law and a further period of six months to even a year after that before the fines were enforced.

The $1,500 fine is pure and utter horse crap though.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,441,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Out of curiosity, how should we handle this situation if it ever arises?

Release the lever on the pump and drop it. Grab near by extinguisher and sweep the chemical side to side towards the base of the flame starting at about 8 feet away.

Or.....get the hell out of there.

I can't find pumps around here at even still have the nozzle trigger lock still installed on them. You have no choice but to stay with the vehicle.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:21 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,862,045 times
Nope, never have left a car unattended while pumping gas. Guess that's why most gas stations around here have taken out the lock switches on the pump. It's just not usin any kind of common sense to leave a car while pumping gas in a car, in fact 1,500$'s seems a little lite on the fine, as my work truck which only has liability on it is worth around 5,000$'s, so if ur so stupid as to take a chance with burning ur car up, why should others have to pay for ur stupidity, jm2c, lol.

Double stupid to leave the car runnin while pumpin gas.

triple stupid to smoke, while pumpin gas.

Did ya mama give u no common sense or do we need to explain it to u, naw if ur a adult and don't understand the stupidity, nuthen said here will help much

Old 11-29-2013, 07:11 AM

169 posts, read 284,254 times
Just remember, its not just YOU who you need to look out for, its everybody else. You may not leave your car on or smoke, etc. , but what about that other idiot a pump or two down? You have to watch out for others as well. Its a sad world when you have to cover yourself and others as well. People in general do stupid things and don't think about it. Got to watch out for yourself.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:15 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,241,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Release the lever on the pump and drop it. Grab near by extinguisher and sweep the chemical side to side towards the base of the flame starting at about 8 feet away.

Or.....get the hell out of there.

I can't find pumps around here at even still have the nozzle trigger lock still installed on them. You have no choice but to stay with the vehicle.
I'm definitely seeing fewer.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:26 AM

50,878 posts, read 36,563,313 times
I actually think it's rude to have your car sitting, taking up a pump long after it's done while someone is inside shopping. There have been times especially in the morning rush when I'd drive around the pumps looking for an open one, and half the cars sitting there are done but the owners nowhere in sight as they are inside getting coffee or breakfast sandwiches. If the station is busy, get gas first then go inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive