Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 PM

13,176 posts, read 9,740,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Anyone watch 'Air Disasters' on the Smithsonian channel? I have discovered this show and it's so interesting how they can figure out why an airplane crashes. I used to travel for work but thank goodness I no longer have to fly. I enjoy watching the show but it surely makes me not want to fly anymore. lol
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 06:38 PM
exm

3,747 posts, read 1,812,126 times
Quote:
Anyone watch 'Air Disasters' on the Smithsonian channel? I have discovered this show and it's so interesting how they can figure out why an airplane crashes. I used to travel for work but thank goodness I no longer have to fly. I enjoy watching the show but it surely makes me not want to fly anymore. lol

Go Google videos about car crashes.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:18 PM

47,064 posts, read 26,194,922 times
Quote:
Meh. I fly a lot. I like that show because it shows the painstaking process used to trace down the root cause for every incident. Actually makes me feel safer. (Still, you will never find me on a flight not having memorized the number of rows I'd pass to get to the exit.)

In my spare time, I sail tall ships - complex machines where bad decisions cause fatalities - and I sometimes wish we had as structured of an approach.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,864 posts, read 58,503,009 times
45+ yrs as CDL driver.

I prefer to fly (a lot fewer 'bloody' crashes per day)

Old 03-17-2019, 09:26 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,903,568 times
"Crucial flaws" in documentation provided to the FAA by Boeing...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartandhp

Old 03-17-2019, 09:30 PM

468 posts, read 620,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Meh. I fly a lot. I like that show because it shows the painstaking process used to trace down the root cause for every incident. Actually makes me feel safer. (Still, you will never find me on a flight not having memorized the number of rows I'd pass to get to the exit.)

In my spare time, I sail tall ships - complex machines where bad decisions cause fatalities - and I sometimes wish we had as structured of an approach.
Why does it make you feel safer? Once it's gone, lives are lost, so the process to find the root cause is just a formality particularly for the public who want answers. In fact, it's probably designed especially to make you feel safer.

"Meh" indicates indifference. This is part of the issue. We shouldn't be indifferent to such a loss of life.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 PM

15,624 posts, read 9,289,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
45+ yrs as CDL driver.

I prefer to fly (a lot fewer 'bloody' crashes per day)
At least a car crash is pretty instantaneous. You will probably have about three agonizing minutes to think about it, if you fall to your death from 35,000 feet.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
At least a car crash is pretty instantaneous. You will probably have about three agonizing minutes to think about it, if you fall to your death from 35,000 feet.
I know far too many maimed or in rehab from auto / motorcycle / bike accidents. I will gladly take my chances with commercial air (140 USA flights last yr + 8 international, as I have done man yrs), often 40+ international. That is a lot of hours in the air. Never so much as a 'fright'. (even with Asia budget) Inter island Hawaii has always been the flights where I have been left to wonder about pilot / crew / aicraft qualifications.

I will gladly endure 3-30 minutes to certain demise. It will give a lot of opportunities for many to 'get-their-life-(future) secured. That is 3 minutes more than most will get!

I have witnessed and attended many in death (Hospice volunteer + many, many highway and work accidents. Especially farming accidents. 3 of my best friend neighbors died in ONE tractor accident when I was age 8. That was sad. 3 coworkers were killed while I was off for a new job interview (Grain elevator explosion). Several truckdriver friends have met their demise avoiding cars who were not operated safely.

I'll sign up for an airplane crash if that is an option (hasn't been yet in thousands of flights). Not counting on it for me, but could still happen (today).

One of my co-workers survived (3) airplane crashes in Alaska. He, understandably, is leery of flying.

RE: Max 8 / 9 flights... 340 in service x 4 - 6 flights / day(?) is a LOT of history. Some in service for nearly 2 yrs... FAA and Boeing will review it all...

(BTW: I am not keen on Max 8, but neither keen on the overhead 'servo' sounds in Airbus 319 / 320 (Sounds like 'winding the Rubber Band' while taxiing.)

I still enjoyed the DC-10 the best (in spite of safety record).

MD-80s, Bring a Grease Gun for the Jack Screw
787... a class D fire Extinguisher
Max 8... a 'manual override' instruction card for conflicting AoA readings. (Icon based...understandable across multiple languages)

Not being trite, ... I'm an engineer. We learn from each incident, very sad this operational instruction was not clearly communicated, BUT if flying thousands of successful flights for the last 20 months, where was the gap leading to these (2) crashes?

Lion Air clearly muffed by sending out an aircraft that had many control issues documented on inbound flight. (and previous also).

Ethiopian Air is very concerning with a very new plane and (2) very new pilots.

I have never heard how many of their (very few) hours were 737 based. Likely very little!

Stuff happens in complex mechanical machines.
Best be prepared to deal with it.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-17-2019 at 10:47 PM..

Old 03-17-2019, 10:52 PM

15,624 posts, read 9,289,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I know far too many maimed and in rehab from auto / motorcycle / bike accidents.

I will gladly take my chances with air (140 USA flights last yr + 8 international, as I have done man yrs), often 40+ international. That is a lot of hours in the air. Never so much as a 'fright'.

I will gladly endure 3-30 minutes to certain demise. It will give a lot of opportunities for many to 'get-their-life-(future) secured. That is 3 minutes more than most will get!

I have witnessed and attended many in death (Hospice volunteer + many, many highway and work accidents. Especially farming accidents. 3 of my best friend neighbors died in ONE tractor accident when I was age 8. Too bad.

I'll sign up for an airplane crash if that is an option (hasn't been yet in thousands of flights). Not counting on it for me, but could still happen (today).

One of my co-workers survived (3) airplane crashes in Alaska. He, understandably, is leery of flying.
I have survived a dozen car crashes, and I'm still a lot less leery driving, then flying. If my car breaks down while I'm driving, I just coast over to the shoulder and call AAA. If a plane I'm flying on breaks down in flight...

Old 03-17-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have survived a dozen car crashes, and I'm still a lot less leery driving, then flying. ......
OK... we each have our comfort zones.
3m miles driving I have never been in a crash, (including many motorcycles and muscle cars, and yrs on Mtn Passes in inferior commercial trucks = high risk). Except (2) strikes from the rear by chain-reaction 'cell-phone-talking-SUV's

Driving... I KNOW I'm at risk. Motorcycle riding conditions you to know EVERYONE can make a mistake / miss seeing you and... splat.

As a Mechanic... I know axles and hubs break, pitman arms fly off, and tire shops forget to tighten wheel lugs...

Flying. I know the stats, so I sleep well while flying, often before we lift off, until touch down.
A&P Mechanics are under very close scrutiny and reporting regulations.

As I mentioned on Page #2...
I concur the Max 8 should be taken out of service while a data is compiled and root cause determined.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-17-2019 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation