Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 06:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
So American... So Boeing... (My engineering employer did the same)

(might be a 'disgruntled) worker. like the 300,000 engineers from my previous High Tech company)
Boeing's 737 Max Software Outsourced to $9-an-Hour Engineers
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/boein...204657048.html

...Rabin, the former software engineer, recalled one manager saying at an all-hands meeting that Boeing didn’t need senior engineers because its products were mature. “I was shocked that in a room full of a couple hundred mostly senior engineers we were being told that we weren’t needed,” said Rabin, who was laid off in 2015.

Just makes good BUSINESS sense (ask the directors!, higher bonuses )
$9 / hour code writers can be very good too!
If true may the Boeing Executives be hung high. The trick in any big engineering endeavour is to maintain the core talent that understands the process and the physics and the damned details.

Even when I got to be a second level big wheel I still went into the lab. No I was not second guessing my staff who were in general very competent. I was getting my hands wet on the problems that were preventing progress or threatening program goals. Carriage being moved by what appeared to be a perfect phase locked servo was smearing thing. Actually built circuitry to double check that the phase lock was holding...it was. Got out a good old red laser. Bounced it off a mirror on the frame of the scanner. Projected it on a wall 30 feet away. Perfectly straight line. Moved to the back of the deflection mirror on the scanner. Beautiful damped sinusoid when the mirror changed direction. The optics guys screwed up...the center of thrust did not align with the center of mass so the thing sprang.

Knowing to do that is what Senior Engineering types get paid for.

If Boeing contracted any of that sort of things out of the senior core they should be hung. The MCAS error is stupid. In fact so bad I doubt anyone person was responsible. The system screwed up and no one caught it..and 350 people died. Simply inexcusable in my world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 07:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:

(might be a 'disgruntled) worker. like the 300,000 engineers from my previous High Tech company)

...Rabin, the former software engineer, recalled one manager saying at an all-hands meeting that Boeing didn’t need senior engineers because its products were mature. “I was shocked that in a room full of a couple hundred mostly senior engineers we were being told that we weren’t needed,” said Rabin, who was laid off in 2015.

I mentioned this earlier. Allowing the bankers to run things as opposed to the engineers.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:26 AM

758 posts, read 551,024 times
I pay my first year graduate social science research assistants who write code to analyze statistical data, where the worst thing that can happen is we conclude that social X causes social Y when it does not, 3x as much (plus health benefits and tuition) as Boeing was paying programmers to write code that is supposed to work to prevent life-or-death situations, not create them. Wow! Just, . . . WOW!

Old 06-29-2019, 05:57 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:

The link says,

Quote:
Boeing said the company did not rely on engineers from HCL and Cyient for the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, which has been linked to the Lion Air crash last October and the Ethiopian Airlines disaster in March. The Chicago-based planemaker also said it didn’t rely on either firm for another software issue disclosed after the crashes: a cockpit warning light that wasn’t working for most buyers.
and

Quote:
In a statement, HCL said it “has a strong and long-standing business relationship with The Boeing Company, and we take pride in the work we do for all our customers. However, HCL does not comment on specific work we do for our customers. HCL is not associated with any ongoing issues with 737 Max.”
I don't like what Boeing is doing, but even your article says it has nothing to do with the crashes.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:05 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
^ what they said, is that the software issue is an internal, self inflicted, problem; Not an outsourced problem with supervisory oversight.

I wish BA would get better PR.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
So they say...for now. You know how these things happen. Layers start getting peeled back and eventually the truth is found.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:43 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Rabin, the former software engineer, recalled one manager saying at an all-hands meeting that Boeing didn’t need senior engineers because its products were mature.

That right there is the death knell for a company. Once senior management starts thinking like that, run - don't walk - away. Sell your stock.

I worked for a company like that - old-school Danish telco. Except they were still completely locked down in being "the phone company". I was employed in the data communications subdivision that had graciously been given autonomy, so that the company could properly focus on optimizing the voice telephony service. That was the mature core business that was at the core of the income stream and that defined the company in the public mind. (It was also where the promotion ladder was firmly planted.) Data communications was such a minor niche. Then the Internet arrived... Let's just say they weren't ready.

Ironically, I'm now working for a manufacturing company clawing its way out the hole that 10 years of thinking "Oh, people will always buy XYZ" left it in.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I feel bad for all the decent people who work for Boeing but you read this and part of me hopes it never recovers.

Boeing has confirmed it is in talks with families of the victims of the first of two fatal 737 Max crashes about reaching a settlement that could prevent the case from ever reaching court.

There are reasons the families would agree: It saves them a painful trial and gets a quick resolution.
But legal experts told Business Insider that Boeing had leverage in the talks to settle.

The company is arguing for the cases to be moved from the US to Indonesia.

One expert said having a trial in another country with a different legal culture, and less scope for close scrutiny of Boeing, would render the cases "worthless."

https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...lawyers-2019-6

Old 07-01-2019, 04:37 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't find that funny. If it was a problem, it's not funny because it doesn't happen a lot.
It wasn't supposed to be funny. The point is allowing non-professional layman to weigh-in on the issue.
If you aren't type-rated, mind your own business.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:04 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Boeing is in a world of hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation