Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 07:50 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am not concerned about SWA -MAX8 inventory (on hand). 34 of 754 can be worked around.
Southwest had its 26th B737Max-8 delivered on the same day when the Lion Air Crash happened on 29 October 2018. Since then it has taken 8 more deliveries.

Southwest planned on acquiring 44 B737Max jets in 2019 according to their quarterly report filed January 24, 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Tho... not sure which aircraft is certified for HI.
I suspect that Southwest better delay their Hawaii service. I think it will probably be impossible without the Max8.

Southwest was planning on retiring some of their older 513 Boeing 737-700s this year (143 seats)
They have 207 Boeing 737-800s so it is possible they may be able to purchase a few dozen older ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 07:58 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
I've never heard of anyone, 28, with 8,000 hours. This guy must of been flying for a living since he was 18.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:06 AM

14,451 posts, read 20,630,704 times
This reminds me of Alaska Air. It crashed well over 2 hours after takeoff and the pilots spent alot of time trying to fix the problem related to a stabilizer. They should have descended as quickly as possible and landed in a corn field if needed. The plane inverted and hit the ocean top down only a few dozen miles from numerous airports along the route.

With the Lion Air flight their pilots had little or no time to try to fix it.

CNBC reported that an eye witness saw smoke coming from the Ethiopian plane.

If the cause was the same as Lion Air, these malfunctions do not give even fully trained pilots time to correct.
Yes one of the Ethiopian pilots had few flight hours but that is the problem. There are well over 250,000 pilots world wide and how to train them all on a "quick fix" at a few thousand feet in the air.

The MAX is only about 2% of China's fleet so it is not material to them.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:19 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I've never heard of anyone, 28, with 8,000 hours. This guy must of been flying for a living since he was 18.

Ethiopian Airlines connect Addis Ababa with far off countries. An overwhelming majority of passengers are on international flights. So if any pilot is a First Officer regularly on say Addis Ababa to Tokyo flight, I think that getting those kind of miles will not be impossible.

In American context where most pilots are on short distance Domestic flights, it will be a challenge to get that number of miles.

I am not a Pilot so I may be wrong though !!!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
Let's be honest here. Most Americans couldn't give two licks about plane crashes that happen in places like Ethiopia or Indonesia. They really don't.

It's been so long since there's been a catastrophic crash of a jetliner on US domestic service that people have come to take it for granted and think that it just can't or won't happen here. Good thing these people weren't around in the 60s-80's, where a plane going down was a monthly if not weekly thing.

A disturbing trend appears to be emerging with Boeing that suggests or implies that they *might* be cutting a few corners or rushing things along for speed. First the 787. Now this.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:50 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
I’m kind of curious about SWA's fleet utilization of their MAX airplanes.

In another forum, quite a few of the people were blaming the pilots. Someone else pointed out that, of the delivered MAX jets, most have been delivered to airlines in the developing world. This means that it’s just statistically more likely that they’d have accidents. I know typically that SWA put a LOT of cycles per day on their planes. Some of the segments are longer, and some are longer. I bet that, although some airlines have had more of them for longer, theirs have flown segments. SWA has not had any accidents though. Boeing NEEDS to fix the problem, but I think that a more experienced pilot would be able to correct the MCAS problem.

I’d fly on a MAX, but there’s no way that I’d fly on one to Hawaii. That will be a problem for SWA.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:17 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Southwest had its 26th B737Max-8 delivered on the same day when the Lion Air Crash happened on 29 October 2018. Since then it has taken 8 more deliveries.

Southwest planned on acquiring 44 B737Max jets in 2019 according to their quarterly report filed January 24, 2019.

I suspect that Southwest better delay their Hawaii service. I think it will probably be impossible without the Max8.

Southwest was planning on retiring some of their older 513 Boeing 737-700s this year (143 seats)
They have 207 Boeing 737-800s so it is possible they may be able to purchase a few dozen older ones
Alaska flies the 737-800 to Hawaii from Southern CA so at least from that region it doesn’t require the “upgrade” to the Max8.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:20 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
This reminds me of Alaska Air. It crashed well over 2 hours after takeoff and the pilots spent alot of time trying to fix the problem related to a stabilizer. They should have descended as quickly as possible and landed in a corn field if needed. The plane inverted and hit the ocean top down only a few dozen miles from numerous airports along the route.

With the Lion Air flight their pilots had little or no time to try to fix it.

CNBC reported that an eye witness saw smoke coming from the Ethiopian plane.

If the cause was the same as Lion Air, these malfunctions do not give even fully trained pilots time to correct.
Yes one of the Ethiopian pilots had few flight hours but that is the problem. There are well over 250,000 pilots world wide and how to train them all on a "quick fix" at a few thousand feet in the air.

The MAX is only about 2% of China's fleet so it is not material to them.
This flight haunts me since I know people who knew some people on that flight. They had a place in PV.

I'm no pilot, but I believe the reason the pilot did not try and land, is that they were off the coast near LA.
The area was way too populated to land safely, and they probably, BRAVELY I MIGHT ADD, decided if they were to crash the loss of life would be less than if they took a chance and crashed on land.

Just a guess on my part.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:23 AM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Let's be honest here. Most Americans couldn't give two licks about plane crashes that happen in places like Ethiopia or Indonesia. They really don't.
Yeah, ok. Good luck getting Americans on a Boeing Max 8 without trying to change flights.

Quote:
A California woman with tickets on Southwest Airlines to Portland, Oregon, in May asked the airline on Twitter how she can find out what type of plane will be used on the route.

"I don't want to be on a Boeing Max 8,'' she said
Quote:
A passenger who recently purchased tickets on Southwest had similar concerns, telling the airline on Twitter that nobody in the family wants to fly the Boeing 737 Max.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ic/3127692002/

Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
My husband is a retired United pilot with 22,000 hours, last plane was the B-777. In his exploration on these crashes, he leans towards Boeing engineers designing the plane to rely on the electronics (I’m not clear on exact terminology) including when something goes wrong and making it harder for the pilots to override the computer-driven controls. He thinks they are almost designing the planes in a manner to take the pilot out of the equation.

The United DC-10 that crashed in Sioux City many years ago only had survivors thanks to pilots, including some dead-heading pilots in the cabin, who creatively figured out a way to fly a plane that had lost its hydraulic system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation