Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 03:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
My BIL has an early 1970s 210, and has mounted a pair of brackets for a small GoPro on the wings. It is, as posted above, nothing new.

Now, the wearing of a parachute... how fortunate he had one that ride. That reeks of fraud.
And the fact that the door was half way open before the “engine failure.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
LOL. That seems perfectly normal to me. Why would anyone fly without a parachute? I surely wouldn't!
Some of the other videos he was out flying in, he wasn’t wearing a chute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 04:13 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
I'm a glider pilot, and we are always prepared to land off-field.
I saw at least two prospective landing sites. You don't really need much, especially with a tail dragger. Just set up the landing and go in slow; you'll be fine if you hold just above stall speed.
Thump her in, and walk away.

I think it's just BS.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:52 AM

24,292 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm a glider pilot, and we are always prepared to land off-field.
I saw at least two prospective landing sites. You don't really need much, especially with a tail dragger. Just set up the landing and go in slow; you'll be fine if you hold just above stall speed.
Thump her in, and walk away.

I think it's just BS.
That's quite valid. What's the landing speed of a T-Craft? 35-40 knots? Online specs say it stalls at 38 mph. Any patch of a couple hundred feet will do.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:24 AM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
That's quite valid. What's the landing speed of a T-Craft? 35-40 knots? Online specs say it stalls at 38 mph. Any patch of a couple hundred feet will do.
What I noticed, and may have missed it or there was editing, was that once the engine quit he didn't appear to even attempt a restart. He had plenty of altitude and a craft with a decent glide ratio that he had some time to restart or at least do some attempts.

It seemed, to me, that the engine quit and after the initial "Oh ****" that he decided to hit the 'chute right away. Yeah, I know that you have to know when to bail and that can be a split-second, but he wasn't on fire and the plane wasn't losing parts while not losing altitude at that great a rate.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:43 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
My take on it is that it was intentional. As others have stated there were obvious places he could have set it down safely. Also why a Taylorcraft? Because they are very inexpensive.
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search...-type=aircraft

I am wondering what the guy thought he could earn for this video?

Also; the last thing I would think about if I was forced to bail out of an aircraft is holding onto my selfie stick.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:04 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
I don't know anything about this aircraft, so pardon my ignorance. After he jumps out the plane, it seems to fly itself in a sustainable rate of descent and follows a wide circular path until it crashes. Is this a natural characteristic of the plane? Does the plane come with trim tabs in both pitch and yaw, and does the plane's path indicate these may have been set by the pilot before he jumped out?

I guess what I'm saying for a "crash" the orderly descent almost seems to suggest there was pre-planning involved to get it to land in the location and manner it did. Or am I off-base here?

Old 01-05-2022, 01:58 PM

2,039 posts, read 1,659,151 times
Quote:
Fake. There's no reason for the cameras attached to the tail and wing of the plane unless placed there to capture the crash.

Also, the filming was perfect from the cockpit until the engine stopped. After that,.... oh, the drama!!!

I been in numerous planes that had cameras mounted in various places including the tail and wingtip. None of them crashed. Basically an aircraft selfie and nothing nefarious.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:05 PM

2,039 posts, read 1,659,151 times
Quote:
LOL. That seems perfectly normal to me. Why would anyone fly without a parachute? I surely wouldn't!

Put on a parachute and go for a couple hour drive in your car. See how comfortable that is and how well you can control the car. The seats in small aircraft, especially older ones, are not as comfortable and adjustable as in a car. Also, landing an aircraft requires more agility than parking a car.

There's also the aspect of, if you feel the need to wear a parachute, perhaps you shouldn't go flying.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:26 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
It was certainly staged. The camera from the plane above was too convenient.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:32 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
Parachutes normally are worn by those performing aerobatics or military pilots in tactical aircraft. Few general aviation pilots wear a parachute, and would be viewed by other pilots as being eccentric if they did.

Do you own a parachute that you wear when you fly?

Last edited by BLS2753; 01-06-2022 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation