Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 05:07 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times

Advertisements

If it is, which I doubt, I think they should bring it up. No point in making memorials where one can see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 05:17 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Gotta love this.. When conspiracy nuts try to disprove conspiracy nuts.

https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/...s/captured.htm
That’s kind of why I hope they found her plane to finally debunk all the other myths. I don’t think she had the fuel to get to the Marianna’s and the Ithaca did report receiving strong signals so they had to be close to Howland.

Japan was heavy in conflict with China in 1937 at that front I don’t think they had a presence that far east at the time.

Looking at some of the Atolls in the Marshall Islands on Google Earth and seeing how remote some of those villages are from the rest of the world. Pretty neat. Baker Island is only 42 miles to the south east of Howland Island but it didn’t get its airfield until 1943. Lots of WW II history with these remote islands.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 01-30-2024 at 05:47 PM..

Old 01-30-2024, 05:45 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
That theory of Earhart being captured by the Japanese likely surfaced during World War Two.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM

861 posts, read 865,230 times
If it is their plane then it should be recovered and put in a museum. Too important of a historical artifact not to. It’s a historical artifact and as long as they’re displayed with respect I think it does more to honor the deceased than letting it decay into the sand. History is more important than a grave.

I’m skeptical as well about this being anything significant much less AE’s plane. Could be a random boat or plane that went down.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:10 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OK, I remember now, that she didn't land in the Marianas. She landed on Jaluit atoll, which is in the Marshals. The Japanese picked her (them) up there, and shipped them along with her plane to Saipan. The Marshals, and Jaluit especially being more southerly, are closer to Howland. She landed half on the beach in Jaluit, and half in the water of a little bay.

That makes a lot more sense. You can probably find videos on youtube of the interviews with the locals discussing this. One of the locals IIRC said, he was fishing near Jaluit and saw her plane go down, and someone saw the Japanese put her plane on the deck of the freighter that took them to Saipan. Saipan was where the Japanese had a jail and the level of authority to interrogate and sentence the two pilots.

I also remember reading, that the San Jose newspaper, the Mercury, reported at the time that she'd been found. That can probably be looked up in the Mercury's archives.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-30-2024 at 07:21 PM..

Old 01-30-2024, 07:21 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Lots of stories and theories. Everyone loves an unsolved mystery. Amelia was heading out over open water to an island barely above sea level. She was supposed to make contact with a Coast Guard ship nearby to guide her in to a safe landing.

But she decided not to bring a a long trailing wire antenna to communicate with the Coast Guard and radio transmissions became garbled. As a consequence she got lost ran out of gas and crashed. Any other explanation such as being captured by the Japanese or making it to another island is unreasonable speculation.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:35 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I am LOVING this thread. So many at least somewhat knowledgeable posters! I have read only one book about this -- Finding Amelia
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/14478 -- and I still have it,, but the mystery of her disappearance has intrigued me for about 60 years.

I love discussing unsolved mysteries, but I do hope this one is solved.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Lots of stories and theories. Everyone loves an unsolved mystery. Amelia was heading out over open water to an island barely above sea level. She was supposed to make contact with a Coast Guard ship nearby to guide her in to a safe landing.

But she decided not to bring a a long trailing wire antenna to communicate with the Coast Guard and radio transmissions became garbled. As a consequence she got lost ran out of gas and crashed. Any other explanation such as being captured by the Japanese or making it to another island is unreasonable speculation.
Except for all the eyewitness accounts. A resident of Saipan serving her and Fred food in jail. Another local working for the jail, washing their clothes. Whether or not she got lost isn't being debated. It's possible she never made it to the vicinity of Howland, and was west or northwest of there, and strayed farther northwest into the Marshals looking for a place to land, but not knowing where she was.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:35 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
That theory of Earhart being captured by the Japanese likely surfaced during World War Two.

I think it was around before then, honestly. Remember, there were.. Tensions between the US and Japan even before WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am LOVING this thread. So many at least somewhat knowledgeable posters! I have read only one book about this -- Finding Amelia
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/14478 -- and I still have it,, but the mystery of her disappearance has intrigued me for about 60 years.

I love discussing unsolved mysteries, but I do hope this one is solved.

We're just going over some of the more popular.. and.. Oddly.. Less crazy theories. There's more.

I briefly mentioned the guy who got his butt sued off for claiming this poor woman from New Jersey was Amelia in the 70's. Sticking with the WWII angle.. there were rumors that she was Tokyo Rose.

And.. Of course.

It's a fascinating story. I mean the closest analogue today might be JFK Jr's plane crash.. But, at least they found him. He, also, wasn't trying to set records.

I'll also admit.. While, I think you can see from many of my posts.. I don't have a whole lot of respect for her as a pilot.. I do actually have a ton of respect for what she represented. That women could do anything that men could do. In that respect, she's one of the most influential people in the 20th century. She just should have read the freaking manual a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Except for all the eyewitness accounts. A resident of Saipan serving her and Fred food in jail. Another local working for the jail, washing their clothes. Whether or not she got lost isn't being debated. It's possible she never made it to the vicinity of Howland, and was west or northwest of there, and strayed farther northwest into the Marshals looking for a place to land, but not knowing where she was.

Problem is.. We know she DID make it to the vicinity of Howland due to the strength of the radio signals received by the Itasca.

So, the theory that she was totally off course and never wound up near Howland.. Is out. I forget the exact band those radios were on, but.. as I recall, you're basically looking at AM radio. It.. Goes a whole lot further at night due to atmospherics. Doesn't fly very far during the day. The advantage is that.. there weren't a whole lot of other signals in the way at the time. both due to location and.. Well.. Radio was relatively new. It was down in the kilohertz range.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Problem is.. We know she DID make it to the vicinity of Howland due to the strength of the radio signals received by the Itasca.

So, the theory that she was totally off course and never wound up near Howland.. Is out. I forget the exact band those radios were on, but.. as I recall, you're basically looking at AM radio. It.. Goes a whole lot further at night due to atmospherics. Doesn't fly very far during the day. The advantage is that.. there weren't a whole lot of other signals in the way at the time. both due to location and.. Well.. Radio was relatively new. It was down in the kilohertz range.
I don't think that was an official theory. That was just a guess of mine in response to another poster. But I believe the eyewitnesses and adult children of deceased eyewitnesses, who were interviewed. Plus there's that article in the San Jose (CA) Mercury, saying she'd been found and was in Japanese custody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation