Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 01:11 PM

83 posts, read 66,826 times

Advertisements

I would almost believe it except for the fact the sonar image looks a lot like a swept wing single tail looking configuration. In all actuality it looks like the top view of an F86 or other single engine swept wing aircraft. Time will tell.

bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 09:11 AM

1,851 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRider View Post
swept wing single tail looking configuration
I thought that as well, but there's always the possibility that the wings separated on impact with the ocean floor.

Old 02-13-2024, 01:28 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I thought that as well, but there's always the possibility that the wings separated on impact with the ocean floor.

The explanation for that from the people who 'found the plane' is that it's due to the depth at which they had the sonar. They were running it quite shallow, which would mean that due to the time it would take for the sound waves to bounce back.. It would have caused the image to show the swept back wings.

They were interviewed for about an hour on a local news show down in Charleston, SC, where they're based, and they had a sonar expert on there who agreed with them that.. The way they were running the sonar certainly could have that result.

Correction.. It was a station in Tampa, FL.. here is the stream of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2aaQbDyZE8&t=957s

That guy on there, Mark Martin.. Retired submariner for the Navy.. Apparently has quite a bit of experience in the field. He works in ocean salvage.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/markmartinsubsea

So.. I tend to lend some decent credibility to what he has to say.. and.. At least what I got out of that interview/podcast/whatever you want to call it.. He pretty much has the standard belief.. It's in the right area.. The sonar image is intriguing. But.. at this exact moment, it basically means nothing. It could be her plane, it could be a different plane.. It might not even be a plane. Until 'eyes' are put on it, we won't know for certain.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:33 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,123,485 times
It seems with each passing day it appears that confidence is growing that this could be her plane. Woods Hole and National Geographic has endorsed the opinion that this is a plane and in the article from the link below the team has confidence it is hers.

https://www.gbnews.com/news/world/am...ane-discovered

It is in the right area for her plane to be found with its proximity to Howland Island.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:25 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
It seems with each passing day it appears that confidence is growing that this could be her plane. Woods Hole and National Geographic has endorsed the opinion that this is a plane and in the article from the link below the team has confidence it is hers.

https://www.gbnews.com/news/world/am...ane-discovered

It is in the right area for her plane to be found with its proximity to Howland Island.

The biggest questions I've had.. Have been given satisfactory answers. We don't have any situations like "How did they make it 1000 miles away from Howland with an hour of fuel left" and no good response to that.

A previous poster has addressed what the condition of the plane would most likely be. That was a huge concern.. I honestly would have thought the conditions would have deteriorated it to nothing left but the engines at this point, but.. Planes from the Lexington which sank just 5 years later are still very recognizable as planes. There's a plausible explanation for the swept back wings.. So..

Will I be surprised if it winds up being her plane? Well.. yes. And it has NOTHING to do with anything other than.. Well, hell.. We haven't found it for 87 years.. Why should I expect it's been found now? that's the only reason that I'll be surprised if it is her plane.

I very much still leave open all possibilities, though. Anyone who looks at that image and does NOT go "well, that's a plane".. c'mon.. That looks like a plane to people who have never seen a plane before. BUT.. That don't mean it's a plane.

I still believe the odds are more that it will wind up being a plane dumped from the deck of a carrier during WWII. I have a tough time believing that Earhart could.. as I've said before.. Pull a Sully and set the plane down mostly intact on water. She had a hard enough time doing that on land. And, in a way.. I'm probably being a little tough on her with some of that. back in the day.. I mean, flight was in its infancy. It was.. Almost a given that a pilot would have a crash then. Remember that one of the Wright brothers killed a guy in a plane crash at Ft Myer in Virginia.

no matter the outcome. I applaud the people who made this discovery and how they have presented it. For my tastes, they're.. A LITTLE bit too far to the "We found Amelia" side, but.. it's not grotesque. And, again, something I should probably understand. I'm sure they genuinely believe that there's a strong possibility they've found her plane. And.. That's influenced the way they've worded some things. but, never have they come out and said "We've solved the mystery!".. They've kept it in check and have been very good in full interviews about saying "Look, right place, it LOOKS like her plane to us, we think it is, but we don't know for sure".. And.. I'm OK with them. I understand that they need to raise money to get a submersible down there to get pictures to determine one way or the other. So, I don't fault them for going public. I'd kick some money their way if they were doing a gofundme or something on this.

in other words.. **** TIGHAR.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:05 AM

1,851 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Well, I for one am excited to see what they find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation