Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 02:34 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amelia-...ep-sea-vision/

Figured I'd post this and get some thoughts from you all and.. Any opinions on what I say, or what's in the article that come to mind for you..

So.. My thoughts? It's interesting. Obviously follow up is needed.

I'm not sold on this.. A few things that stand out to me.. First, being that the image is just too damn perfect.

Beyond that.. The Electra didn't have swept back wings.. Not to that extent.. but.. I can come up with two reasons now to possibly explain that.. First.. Who knows how they hit the water and what would have happened when they did. Could have broken the wing supports and.. The wings wound up at a greater angle when it settled on the bottom.. There's possibiities about what would happen with the pressures of 16k feet.. I'd assume the fuel tanks had air and would have imploded.. WELL before it got even close to 16k feet.

It could be a situation where decay and currents over the past 87 years have 'swept' the wings back like that?

But.. Overall.. The image just seems too perfect after 87 years on the bottom. That long in saltwater.. Aluminum frame? I wouldn't think there'd be a whole lot left no matter what.. Certainly not so much that.. In that image, it looks mostly intact. It might have looked like that the first 5, 10 or 20 years.. but it's been 87.

I'd.. More have expected something along the lines of a hollow frame.

Anyway.. Yeah.. I think someone needs to put a remote vehicle down there and get some video.. Lord knows what it is for sure without looking.. But.. There's a chance. And that chance means it's 100% worthwhile to check it out more closely.

And.. No matter what.. while this guy went a little bit clickbaity with his statement of

Quote:
Deep Sea Vision, a Charleston, South Carolina-based team, said this week that it had captured a sonar image in the Pacific Ocean that "appears to be Earhart's Lockheed 10-E Electra" aircraft.

I'd be even happier if they had dialed that back even more to say they had captured an image CONSISTENT with the Electra.. or Possibly Consistent or Could Possibly Be..

"Appears to be" is a bit too strong of wording for me.

But.. At least they aren't the idiots at TIGHAR who put out a press release every couple of years saying how they've solved the Earhart case.

To me.. It's history.. So, we do need to keep investigating to solve it. And.. If this winds up being the plane, it should be recovered.. And.. Exactly what from there.. I don't know. But.. First and foremost.. Laying Earhart and Noonan to rest. I know some might argue that's what they're doing now.. But.. I look at it along the lines of the Hunley sub.. And I don't know that you can answer all the questions and get the entire story without recovering the aircraft.. Assuming it's possible. Going back to the 87 years.. Trying to recover it may destroy it. the Hunley was iron.. The Electra is aluminum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 02:57 PM

5,127 posts, read 6,123,485 times
I saw this yesterday in the news.

So many theory’s over the years, from garbled radio transmissions from her, possible being captured by the Japanese, finding bones or a landing strut. It would be nice if we could put all the mystery to rest finally.

A couple of notes from me.

The wings do look swept back to me also.

I wouldn’t have eluded to it being her plane unless I had concrete proof or they want some funding for National Geographic or similar like Discovery Channel.

They say they are going back with a remote vehicle so we shall see.

I think the wreckage should be left alone along with anything left in or around it unless they need a metal sample for verification.

This would certainly close the book on this mystery and they can move onto
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I saw this yesterday in the news.

So many theory’s over the years, from garbled radio transmissions from her, possible being captured by the Japanese, finding bones or a landing strut. It would be nice if we could put all the mystery to rest finally.

A couple of notes from me.

The wings do look swept back to me also.

I wouldn’t have eluded to it being her plane unless I had concrete proof or they want some funding for National Geographic or similar like Discovery Channel.

They say they are going back with a remote vehicle so we shall see.

I think the wreckage should be left alone along with anything left in or around it unless they need a metal sample for verification.

This would certainly close the book on this mystery and they can move onto
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

Whether to recover the aircraft will be a touchy thing. I honestly don't really know about Noonan.. But Amelia never had kids and if i'm not mistaken, her sister didn't either. Her sister only passed away like 20 years ago as I recall..

About 25-26 years now. She died in 1998 at the ripe old age of 98. And.. Actually, she did have 2 kids. So, closest living relative to Amelia would be her niece, Amy Morrissey Kleppner of Silver Spring, Maryland

obviously.. I would think she should have a voice in any decision so far as remains. Pending on what might be recovered. And, perhaps, even *IF* there should be a recovery.

It all just seems too damn perfect to me. Everything lines up.. And, that certainly looks like a plane sonar.. Though, not the exact right layout.. The tail is interesting in that image.. Electra had a somewhat distinctive tail that.. You can kinda make out in that image.

Right now.. I'm equally split three ways between this being a hoax.. Being her plane.. And being just the worlds greatest coincidence, meaning it's not a plane, or it's a different plane..

Old 01-29-2024, 06:39 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Definitely interesting. I assume they'll send an ROV down for a look?

Old 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Definitely interesting. I assume they'll send an ROV down for a look?

Seems to be the plan. Send down a submersible with cameras and see what's actually there.

The image wasn't discovered real-time.. Only in reviewing the data, so, that's why they couldn't do any further investigation at the time.

And.. I'm rather certain the announcement is designed to get some donations / sponsors on board to fund that trip. Don't knock them for that.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I saw the news yesterday. I'll be surprised if it's her plane. How many times have people "solved" what happened to them?

Figured they were looking for a show to feature them. It was very premature to release this.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:11 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Surprised Geraldo Rivera isn't hosting the final "reveal" like he did Al Capone's vault.

I have a feeling it will be as disappointing.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:17 AM

5,127 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Surprised Geraldo Rivera isn't hosting the final "reveal" like he did Al Capone's vault.

I have a feeling it will be as disappointing.
I hope this doesn’t happen. I think as I mentioned in my previous post that possibly they are coming out with this news to possibly get funding from the likes of National Geographic or Discovery Channel.

I would hate to see this become another Oak Island debacle.

I have always been fascinated with what happened to her and looking back on Wikipedia last night there were so many scenarios and theory’s about what happened.

If it is indeed her plane we still won’t know a lot but where it was found in relationship to Howland Island and the Coast Guard Cutter should shed a few clues.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:27 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I saw the news yesterday. I'll be surprised if it's her plane. How many times have people "solved" what happened to them?

Figured they were looking for a show to feature them. It was very premature to release this.
I tend to believe the stories from the Mariana Islands, about her being taken prisoner by the Japanese with her co-pilot, and her plane deliberately burned when the US captured the islands. There were too many witnesses for the stories to be easily dismissed, including a few Navy enlisted men who saw her plane and watched officers burn it, one who actually had her briefcase after a safe was found and blown open, etc. As I recall, one officer actually wrote up a report about it all afterwards, as his ship was leaving he area, and sent it to US naval authorities.

For this reason, I doubt this new find is her plane. Her plane was recovered by the Japanese from a small island where AE and FN were able to land, and was taken to the airfield on Saipan. Of course the Japanese would have spotted a foreign plane going down in their territory. They accused the two of spying. Apparently the plane had been outfitted with a camera on the exterior. That's the one questionable part IMO.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I tend to believe the stories from the Mariana Islands, about her being taken prisoner by the Japanese with her co-pilot, and her plane deliberately burned when the US captured the islands. There were too many witnesses for the stories to be easily dismissed, including a few Navy enlisted men who saw her plane and watched officers burn it, one who actually had her briefcase after a safe was found and blown open, etc. As I recall, one officer actually wrote up a report about it all afterwards, as his ship was leaving he area, and sent it to US naval authorities.

For this reason, I doubt this new find is her plane. Her plane was recovered by the Japanese from a small island where AE and FN were able to land, and was taken to the airfield on Saipan. Of course the Japanese would have spotted a foreign plane going down in their territory. They accused the two of spying. Apparently the plane had been outfitted with a camera on the exterior. That's the one questionable part IMO.

The Saipan theory.

The problem with that one.. Getting from the Howland Island vicinity to Nikumauroro....Gardner island.. Is a massive stretch. In theory, she had about an hour of fuel left, tops and Gardner was like 4 hours away.

Getting from Howland to Saipan is completely outrageous. I don't even think she could have made it there if she had headed directly there when leaving New Zealand. At least on one tank of fuel.

Then.. There's the whole thing about her and Noonan being 'spies'.. She was.. All things told.. A pretty crappy pilot. He was a drunkard. Not exactly the top recruits in the class. Woman ALMOST crashed as much as Danica Patrick. Don't get me wrong. She was a pioneer.. Brave, etc, etc.. But.. She was a pretty crappy pilot.

The part that DOES make this one believable, however, is the 'witnesses'.. All of them were pretty believable. But.. That's why they're believable.. They're not lying. They may be mistaken.. But they are telling what they believe to be the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation