Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 06:01 AM

4,085 posts, read 2,421,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Initially, when Dallas pulled off this trade, I thought they had made an epically good move that would set them up for a good, maybe, half-decade or soof serious contention with a few more good role-playing parts to pick up.

But it did not even come close to working. I am still surprised that it didn't.

To me, I think some of this is on Luka. He MUST learn to play WITHOUT the ball sometimes. Save more energy for defense. Just like Harden, I refuse to excuse him for his terrible defense. I am not saying he has to become Kawhi, but he has too much size to be as horrible a defender as he is. I am only asking for effort. If he provides average effort, he stop being such a huge minus defender. But, he rarely even makes the effort because he is resting on defense.

Last season, Dallas had a Luka running mate in Jalen Brunson. Brunson should have operated the offense more when Luka was on the floor. Again, Luka is a great player and shooter. The defense must be aware of him at all times. He can play off the ball sometimes and still create opportunities for his teammates, and sometimes, you can have someone create something for you (what a concept!) so everything you do is not so much hard work...just sayin'.
He's out of shape always. I believe he drinks alot.( I am guessing) That is why he is always resting on defense and gassed all the time. Just like Harden was in the last years in Houston and when he was with the Nets early on. Only this season with the Sixers has Harden came in fit. My point is Luka needs to get in a fitness regiment so he will have that effort you are looking for. He is still young and has plenty of cash to buy chefs, trainers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 10:40 AM

30,298 posts, read 11,944,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
He's out of shape always. I believe he drinks alot.( I am guessing) That is why he is always resting on defense and gassed all the time. Just like Harden was in the last years in Houston and when he was with the Nets early on. Only this season with the Sixers has Harden came in fit. My point is Luka needs to get in a fitness regiment so he will have that effort you are looking for. He is still young and has plenty of cash to buy chefs, trainers, etc.
You wonder if Harden regrets not taking it more seriously when his Houston teams were battling the Warriors? The time for winning a title is running out.

Old 04-12-2023, 03:01 PM

7,095 posts, read 11,393,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I'd guess the same, it looks like water weight. But how do you convince a guy who is already All-NBA from age 20 that he needs to "shape up?" My answer would be the Mavs needs to get some tough guy vets in there, you know the guys that get on his butt if he shows up hung-over or starts to slack on defense.........whichever version of P.J. Tucker they can find.

That ain't Kyrie. What a match made in h_ll, the young superstar content with his own numbers meets Mr. Zero Accountability.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 475,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You wonder if Harden regrets not taking it more seriously when his Houston teams were battling the Warriors? The time for winning a title is running out.
With luka, harden, shaq, sir charles, etc, some players take it seriously by playoffs, some just take it easy since their being paid big bucks and eating bad enough just so you can get up and down the court without being winded.

We are mostly not all at a healthy weight, depends on our jobs or pay, but its a hard thing to do when food is a addiction for some people. Not everyone can be like kobe and eat right his whole career and work hard long hours. Some will just get a big payday and enjoy life a little more.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
With luka, harden, shaq, sir charles, etc, some players take it seriously by playoffs, some just take it easy since their being paid big bucks and eating bad enough just so you can get up and down the court without being winded.

We are mostly not all at a healthy weight, depends on our jobs or pay, but its a hard thing to do when food is a addiction for some people. Not everyone can be like kobe and eat right his whole career and work hard long hours. Some will just get a big payday and enjoy life a little more.
I agree its a hard thing to do, I know that personally. But I am not being paid because of my athletic ability.

I guess some are content with having a good career, all-star, etc. Nothing wrong with that. Others want to be the GOAT. Lebron, Brady, Kobe, etc. In their minds they are not just competing against the best current players but the best ever.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree its a hard thing to do, I know that personally. But I am not being paid because of my athletic ability.

I guess some are content with having a good career, all-star, etc. Nothing wrong with that. Others want to be the GOAT. Lebron, Brady, Kobe, etc. In their minds they are not just competing against the best current players but the best ever.
Yes but if its not athletic ability, its still skinny/light enough to do whatever job you do. There are fat cops, firefighters, waiters, valet parkers, janitors, etc that is a pound away from not being able to do their jobs due to running, bending, etc.

I dont think luka or harden is hungry enough to want to win and they are probably ok with that playing bad defense and not eating right, while getting paid. Kobe died 3 years after his retirement, his whole life from high school to age 38 he ate right and chased excellence. Was it worth it that he had all that money and not being able to enjoy good food and starving himself? He only had 3 years to eat whatever he wanted and be full after each meal. No one knows when their day comes.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yes but if its not athletic ability, its still skinny/light enough to do whatever job you do. There are fat cops, firefighters, waiters, valet parkers, janitors, etc that is a pound away from not being able to do their jobs due to running, bending, etc.

I dont think luka or harden is hungry enough to want to win and they are probably ok with that playing bad defense and not eating right, while getting paid. Kobe died 3 years after his retirement, his whole life from high school to age 38 he ate right and chased excellence. Was it worth it that he had all that money and not being able to enjoy good food and starving himself? He only had 3 years to eat whatever he wanted and be full after each meal. No one knows when their day comes.
Good point........would I have chosen 5 rings or beer and pizza at age 24 if I was guaranteed millions of dollars either way?

At some point it was mentioned that having a guy like Luka pull down 9 boards a game only to walk the ball up the court is a huge missed opportunity. He's letting teams off the hook. Look at Jokic, you don't have to be fast to lead the break, you just gotta push the ball each and every time and let your teammates sprint.

At 24 though, there is time. Maybe this season was the wake-up call.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Good point........would I have chosen 5 rings or beer and pizza at age 24 if I was guaranteed millions of dollars either way?
Yes but kobe was in la, stars and starters come, and veterans take a pay cut. Kobe had shaq, and gasol later on. Had kobe chased his excellence in dallas or houston, he still would have 0 rings. Lebron was in Cleveland for 7 years and never came close to a ring. Being in the finals that year, they seriously needed another all star at minnimum.

For luka and harden, it doesnt make sense to be fit and get rings, the chances are so low and theyre already garunteed hundreds of millions.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Yes but kobe was in la, stars and starters come, and veterans take a pay cut. Kobe had shaq, and gasol later on. Had kobe chased his excellence in dallas or houston, he still would have 0 rings. Lebron was in Cleveland for 7 years and never came close to a ring. Being in the finals that year, they seriously needed another all star at minnimum.

For luka and harden, it doesnt make sense to be fit and get rings, the chances are so low and theyre already garunteed hundreds of millions.
I think most late 1990s/early 2000s franchises with Kobe wins at least one Finals. The league was a bit different then, Kobe would have attracted talent anywhere. Yes, the Lakers ended up winning lots of rings, but I don't think their rosters were better top to bottom than the Suns/Kings/Mavs/Blazers of that era(s). The difference was.............the Lakers had Kobe.

My guess is that Dirk values his one ring, and thinks that the 1,000s of hours refining his game to succeed in his moment was well worth it.

Time will tell. How many 24 year olds have it figured out? Doncic could still be 3-4 years from his peak, which is a scary thought. That peak will only be reached through conditioning and effort that means the big stats turn into wins. It's almost impossible (watch me eat my words) to put up bigger numbers than he is already. Of course efficiency could improve.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:

The Lakers had Jerry West. He traded Divoc for Kobe (via the draft selection) and orchestrated a Shaq trade. Then in 2008 the lakers orchestrated a blockbuster trade with Memphis for Gasol. Shaq and Gasol did not come to LA as free agents or because Kobe was there. In theory what West did could have happened anywhere.

The Mavs have Mark Cuban. He let Brunsen go for nothing and traded the teams depth away for a 2 month rental of Irving. Perhaps he should pay whatever it takes to get Bob Myers and Jerry West to Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball