Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 08:54 PM

1,195 posts, read 497,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The Lakers had Jerry West. He traded Divoc for Kobe (via the draft selection) and orchestrated a Shaq trade. Then in 2008 the lakers orchestrated a blockbuster trade with Memphis for Gasol. Shaq and Gasol did not come to LA as free agents or because Kobe was there. In theory what West did could have happened anywhere.

The Mavs have Mark Cuban. He let Brunsen go for nothing and traded the teams depth away for a 2 month rental of Irving. Perhaps he should pay whatever it takes to get Bob Myers and Jerry West to Dallas.
You also have to factor in some players demand a trade to the lakers, like ad. For the small team they either have to give up more in a trade so the star player goes to la, or risk losing them for nothing. Big market teams know this and ask for the better exchange of assets. Theres a chance kyrie signs with dallas, if kyrie was not a headcase dallas has no shot signing him . Look at kawhi, toronto got him in a trade, won a chip, and couldn't re sign him, some rich dude offered him a free condo.

Stars can choose where they get traded to, and you cant be a small team and trade 10 firsts for a prime d wade, d wade might just tell them if you get me, i will not play hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 03:54 AM

30,448 posts, read 12,049,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
You also have to factor in some players demand a trade to the lakers, like ad. For the small team they either have to give up more in a trade so the star player goes to la, or risk losing them for nothing. Big market teams know this and ask for the better exchange of assets. Theres a chance kyrie signs with dallas, if kyrie was not a headcase dallas has no shot signing him . Look at kawhi, toronto got him in a trade, won a chip, and couldn't re sign him, some rich dude offered him a free condo.

Stars can choose where they get traded to, and you cant be a small team and trade 10 firsts for a prime d wade, d wade might just tell them if you get me, i will not play hard.
I agree AD demanded to be traded to the Lakers. But it took two different attempts to make that happen. NO could have said no and sent him elsewhere. Kyrie wanted to be traded to the Lakers and the Nets said no.

There is also something else behind the scenes and that is LeBron's agent. Who AD had signed with and Draymond Green is with. That is another way of drawing in players to LeBron and influencing trades.

Lets not forget that L.A. is also a rich market for high school talent. Kawhi and PG13 are both from SoCal so that had a big bearing them wanting to play near home.

You are right that Kyrie might sign with Dallas because they might be the only team willing to pay max money for him. Question is why? Nothing goes right with Kyrie. Only time was the title with LeBron then he wanted out. Seems like players want to get away from him and I am sure understand what a wild card he is. So even if they have Luka and Kyrie what quality player will want to play with them knowing how things always go wrong with Kyrie? I am sure even LeBron does not want him now. So just like the Nets, Dallas will tie its title hopes to Kyrie just not going off the rails. And it would be one thing if Luka and Kyrie were winning most of their games since Kyrie got there. There is no indication they will ever be a good combo.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I agree AD demanded to be traded to the Lakers. But it took two different attempts to make that happen. NO could have said no and sent him elsewhere. Kyrie wanted to be traded to the Lakers and the Nets said no.
Yeah, new orleans said no to the lakers a couple times when the lakers offered a bunch of scrubs but held onto kuzma. Who knows kuzma flatlined and ingram became an all star. But still, new orleans had no choice and gave in or else ad will not resign with them. And as another team that wants ad, if i offered whatever package, its only a one year rental, and he will not resign, so its not worth it for me to get him, so i dont put an offer. Thats why teams are doomed if a player demands a trade somewhere, and said they want to resign only with the lakers. It makes all other teams not get in.

Had ad been like, hey i want out of new orleans, and whichever team gets me i will resign with them and be loyal like Damian Lillard, im sure a ton of small market teams will throw players and assests at new orleans, and new orleans can choose the best deal possible.

La won that deal, they got a ring, while new orleans somewhat won with ingram being a all star, but they are not going to win anything in the future with their situation now. All those picks and players mean nothing, compared to 1 player that can play elite basketball.

Last edited by accord2008; 04-14-2023 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, new orleans said no to the lakers a couple times when the lakers offered a bunch of scrubs but held onto kuzma. Who knows kuzma flatlined and ingram became an all star. But still, new orleans had no choice and gave in or else ad will not resign with them. And as another team that wants ad, if i offered whatever package, its only a one year rental, and he will not resign, so its not worth it for me to get him, so i dont put an offer. Thats why teams are doomed if a player demands a trade somewhere, and said they want to resign only with the lakers. It makes all other teams not get in.
I agree.

Quote:
Had ad been like, hey i want out of new orleans, and whichever team gets me i will resign with them and be loyal like Damian Lillard, im sure a ton of small market teams will throw players and assests at new orleans, and new orleans can choose the best deal possible.

La won that deal, they got a ring, while new orleans somewhat won with ingram being a all star, but they are not going to win anything in the future with their situation now. All those picks and players mean nothing, compared to 1 player that can play elite basketball.
That is why I don't get Dallas. Kyrie wants to play in LA. I think he would sign with Clippers too. So Cuban thinks he can change his mind? When Kyrie decides something hard to change it. Look at the vaccine issue.

One of the first guys Cuban went after was Dennis Rodman. And it lasted a month.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I agree.

That is why I don't get Dallas. Kyrie wants to play in LA. I think he would sign with Clippers too. So Cuban thinks he can change his mind? When Kyrie decides something hard to change it. Look at the vaccine issue.

One of the first guys Cuban went after was Dennis Rodman. And it lasted a month.
Kyrie wants to play in la, but with a max contract. Cuban probably knew the lakers will not pay that, even if its backed by lebron. Lebron at year 21 and on will have major availability issues, look at how many nagging injuries he got this year and every game was probable with left foot soreness.

Cuban needed any all star to keep luka from leaving, so that was probably why he did this. I dont think any team will offer a max to kyrie, but he still can test the market for the best deal possible. He will stay in dallas if its a max contract or the best deal possible. Kyrie had issues with every team hes played in.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Kyrie wants to play in la, but with a max contract. Cuban probably knew the lakers will not pay that, even if its backed by lebron. Lebron at year 21 and on will have major availability issues, look at how many nagging injuries he got this year and every game was probable with left foot soreness.

Cuban needed any all star to keep luka from leaving, so that was probably why he did this. I dont think any team will offer a max to kyrie, but he still can test the market for the best deal possible. He will stay in dallas if its a max contract or the best deal possible. Kyrie had issues with every team hes played in.
I could see the Clippers offering. Package Powell and Zubac and some other players to even it out. Or perhaps a 3 team trade. Might be good for both teams. Better than Dallas getting nothing.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I could see the Clippers offering. Package Powell and Zubac and some other players to even it out. Or perhaps a 3 team trade. Might be good for both teams. Better than Dallas getting nothing.
Yeah, i dont think the clippers have the cap space to sign kyrie, but getting him via trade would have kyrie, pg13, and kawhi. But then they would have traded away their whole supporting cast for that though.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:44 PM

3,915 posts, read 4,502,222 times
Quote:
And they dont have any stars going there in free agency for their whole existence. Big in population, 5th in market size but nba stars still go to other cities thats smaller.

Im just putting everything as a package for what a young man will think and want as multi millionaires. Average nba player might go there for the money. Big stars wont be thinking about which city has good schools or good water quality, or good cost of living and nice public transportation, healthcare, etc.
I'm late to the conversation. I live in the metroplex. It's a legit large city. All the big city amenities that you find in NY/LA/Chicago are here as well. Put it to you this way. The DFW metro is larger than every metro on the entire east coast outside of NYC. Plus it's not a question of athletes not wanting to come here since the Cowboys have zero problems getting free agents. (Their problem is the GM wannabe but that's another story).

My theory on why nobody comes to Dallas is that for the most part, recruiting of free agents is heavily influenced by your current super star. He will go out and recruit other stars to come. That to me is the number one factor in pulling the top-level guys (not your journeymen/lower-level players). For example, look at how Lebron has been recruiting players to his teams for years. Or look at how Draymond and Steph went and recruited KD. But to be able to recruit, your star must have already built a relationship with other stars in the league. American born players have an inbuilt advantage in that since they have all known each other in most cases going back to AAU in high school or from college. Foreign players don't have that. So, looking at Dallas, it's been Dirk and now Luka for the last 25 years.

So basically this will probably be how things are for the Mavs until a native born superstar is in Dallas.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm late to the conversation. I live in the metroplex. It's a legit large city. All the big city amenities that you find in NY/LA/Chicago are here as well. Put it to you this way. The DFW metro is larger than every metro on the entire east coast outside of NYC. Plus it's not a question of athletes not wanting to come here since the Cowboys have zero problems getting free agents. (Their problem is the GM wannabe but that's another story).

My theory on why nobody comes to Dallas is that for the most part, recruiting of free agents is heavily influenced by your current super star. He will go out and recruit other stars to come. That to me is the number one factor in pulling the top-level guys (not your journeymen/lower-level players). For example, look at how Lebron has been recruiting players to his teams for years. Or look at how Draymond and Steph went and recruited KD. But to be able to recruit, your star must have already built a relationship with other stars in the league. American born players have an inbuilt advantage in that since they have all known each other in most cases going back to AAU in high school or from college. Foreign players don't have that. So, looking at Dallas, it's been Dirk and now Luka for the last 25 years.

So basically this will probably be how things are for the Mavs until a native born superstar is in Dallas.
Would it be that texas is huge in football? Its just a question but the cowboys are huge in history.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:00 PM

3,915 posts, read 4,502,222 times
Quote:
Would it be that texas is huge in football? Its just a question but the cowboys are huge in history.
It's probably a part of the reason but I don't think it's a big factor for the Mavs. In today's NBA, it's all about being able to recruit to join friends or worst case, a superteam. It takes a real deep relationship to pull that off since it usually means that someone is going to have to either take less money or less minutes or less shots to make it work. Take the Nets for example. Being able to pull in KD, Harden and Kyrie only works if they all are super tight with each other since someone had to take a back seat in that arrangement. And it only worked for barely two seasons. No way are two superstars coming to Dallas to join Luka since none of the Americans have a relationship with him on that level. Kyrie is only there now out of desperation for his max deal. I honestly think if it was up to him he would join the Lakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball