Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 06:14 PM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Would it be that texas is huge in football? Its just a question but the cowboys are huge in history.
The Cowboys are huge because they have won multiple titles. The Mavs win 4 or 5 titles in a decade they will be much bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 09:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 453,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The Cowboys are huge because they have won multiple titles. The Mavs win 4 or 5 titles in a decade they will be much bigger.
Yeah i know they are huge, but i was referring to biafra4life's post since he said the cowboys didnt have issues with football stars going there, but in the nba its not. But, texas is huge in football, for high school, college, and the nfl. The biggest thing that dallas cant offer is beaches. But it is very populated.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:13 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Yeah i know they are huge, but i was referring to biafra4life's post since he said the cowboys didnt have issues with football stars going there, but in the nba its not. But, texas is huge in football, for high school, college, and the nfl. The biggest thing that dallas cant offer is beaches. But it is very populated.
The Lakers and Dodgers rule LA because of their past success. UCLA hoops and USC football again because of past success. People like winners. Even though the Mavs have the 2nd best record in the past 25 years there is not the perception that they are winners.

Look at the Clippers. They never got big time free agents until Kawhi went there. Why? Their perception was a loser franchise who had a horrible owner for decades. Even now. They just can't get over the hump.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:13 AM

4,003 posts, read 2,368,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm late to the conversation. I live in the metroplex. It's a legit large city. All the big city amenities that you find in NY/LA/Chicago are here as well. Put it to you this way. The DFW metro is larger than every metro on the entire east coast outside of NYC. Plus it's not a question of athletes not wanting to come here since the Cowboys have zero problems getting free agents. (Their problem is the GM wannabe but that's another story).

My theory on why nobody comes to Dallas is that for the most part, recruiting of free agents is heavily influenced by your current super star. He will go out and recruit other stars to come. That to me is the number one factor in pulling the top-level guys (not your journeymen/lower-level players). For example, look at how Lebron has been recruiting players to his teams for years. Or look at how Draymond and Steph went and recruited KD. But to be able to recruit, your star must have already built a relationship with other stars in the league. American born players have an inbuilt advantage in that since they have all known each other in most cases going back to AAU in high school or from college. Foreign players don't have that. So, looking at Dallas, it's been Dirk and now Luka for the last 25 years.

So basically this will probably be how things are for the Mavs until a native born superstar is in Dallas.
The Mavs had that way back when Kidd, Jackson and Mashburn were there, IIRC. That trio was supposed to be something special but they couldn't get along for some reason. If the Mavs could get that kind of chemistry on the floor again then they would be on to something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball