Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 01:29 AM

9,788 posts, read 7,511,961 times

Advertisements

Lakers in 6. Like the first 2 series they'll split the first 2 games in Denver and hold serve at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 07:14 AM

30,253 posts, read 11,879,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Thats 3 years ago, jokic refined his craft and ad slowed down a bit, he was not where he was in new orleans. I give the lakers a 20% chance of winning the series.
I am not making any predictions. I think the Lakers defense is much better this year than 3 years ago. From what I have read they have had the best defense in the playoffs and best since the trade deadline during the regular season. They were able to keep Curry in check. Last three games his three point shooting was 27%. He did not have any monster 40 or 50 point games.

Lakers need to steal one in Denver and put all the pressure on Denver. First two series they had to play the two teams of the three teams with the best home records in the league and won road games in both series. Denver is the other one of those three. I think that will be the key to the series. If the Lakers lose the first 2 they are in trouble. They split the first two I like their chances.

Jokic is better now. AD is playing at a level on both ends of the floor better than 2020 or anytime since he has been with the Lakers. His only issue is mentally taking a game off. But last 3 games against GS he was engaged.

Denver won 53 games. A slightly better percentage than they had in 2020. I believe they won 64% of their games this year and 63% in 2020. But are not talking a 65 win team that dominated the West. Jokic may be much better than in 2020. And the team might have a better roster. But the end results are about the same as then.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-14-2023 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-14-2023, 09:33 AM

10,597 posts, read 7,821,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
It will be an interesting matchup. The Nuggets were the number 1 seat for a reason. Probably the most complete team in the West. Lebron is going to be the key in this series. I'm not sure Denver has anyone to counter him. If the Lakers can win one on the road, then I believe they win the series in six.
I agree. The mile high environment for games in Denver could be taxing on LeBron, given his advanced age as a pro ballplayer.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:25 PM

1,127 posts, read 462,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Jokic is better now. AD is playing at a level on both ends of the floor better than 2020 or anytime since he has been with the Lakers. His only issue is mentally taking a game off. But last 3 games against GS he was engaged.
Ad's stats are not as good as when he was in new orleans, and in los angeles he has lebron to feed him the ball so he gets more points. If he had lebron in the new orleans years, his numbers would be even higher. From now until the finals ad must average 35 and 15 consistently to win it all. He did this in a stretch of games when lebron was out this year.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:40 PM

7,050 posts, read 11,355,201 times
A big issue will be AD's inability to play help defense when matched against Jokic......or choosing to stick like glue to his guy and having his teammates (not known for foot speed) get beat to the rim. Can he survive 7 games of pounding as the center? Do any of those other guys have the ability to play without being eaten alive (I don't think so.)

But yeah, AD will be able to score in droves, draw fouls, he is a nightmare match-up back the other way for Jokic, especially if he can get a few outside jumpers to fall.

Old 05-14-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Ad's stats are not as good as when he was in new orleans, and in los angeles he has lebron to feed him the ball so he gets more points.
This year AD averaged 25.9 and 12.5 reb. Last year in NO he averaged 25.9 and 12 reb. He did have a couple of 28 point seasons but he took more shots in NO. This year he shot 56% best if his career and had his best rebounding year of his career. Sure Lebron can feed him the ball but he is taking about 3 less shots a game than he did in NO. So his points are 1 or 2 less. I really don't know what you are saying.

Its like saying Kevin Love's stats were not as good in Cleveland as they were with the Wolves. Kevin Love had Lebron feeding him the ball yet his production dropped about 10 points a game. The fact that AD was now teamed up with a guy who takes a lot of shots and his stats did not drop much tells you about AD.

Quote:
If he had lebron in the new orleans years, his numbers would be even higher. From now until the finals ad must average 35 and 15 consistently to win it all. He did this in a stretch of games when lebron was out this year.
He is not going to average 35 and 15 with Lebron out there. They have enough roll players that he gets a double double with more than 20 points they have been winning those games. I believe they have more offensive weapons that can give you 25 or 30 than they did back in 2020. AD's problem is bringing it every game.

Old 05-14-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
A big issue will be AD's inability to play help defense when matched against Jokic......or choosing to stick like glue to his guy and having his teammates (not known for foot speed) get beat to the rim. Can he survive 7 games of pounding as the center? Do any of those other guys have the ability to play without being eaten alive (I don't think so.)

But yeah, AD will be able to score in droves, draw fouls, he is a nightmare match-up back the other way for Jokic, especially if he can get a few outside jumpers to fall.
That is up to Ham to figure out. Ham has done a good job with thinking on the fly so far. Jokic presents a big problem for the Lakers. And when you have two elite big men battling it out. Its going to be tough for both of them trying to stop the other.

Jokic, Murray, Lebron and AD will get their points. Its going to come down to which roll players step up. I think that will decide the series.

Old 05-14-2023, 04:47 PM

14,720 posts, read 14,692,694 times
I feel this one could go either way. AD is inconsistent but they did beat the Warriors. I’m pulling for Denver because the last thing we need is another Lakers/Celtics finals.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:09 AM

1,127 posts, read 462,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
This year AD averaged 25.9 and 12.5 reb. Last year in NO he averaged 25.9 and 12 reb. He did have a couple of 28 point seasons but he took more shots in NO. This year he shot 56% best if his career and had his best rebounding year of his career. Sure Lebron can feed him the ball but he is taking about 3 less shots a game than he did in NO. So his points are 1 or 2 less. I really don't know what you are saying. .
He is less athletic than what he used to be when he is in new orleans. Look at his career highlights, he was more explosive back then. 3 years is a big difference between jokic and ad. Jokic is like a big, slow swiss army knife. Jokic is top 2, ad is like top 8 at this moment.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
He is less athletic than what he used to be when he is in new orleans. Look at his career highlights, he was more explosive back then. 3 years is a big difference between jokic and ad. Jokic is like a big, slow swiss army knife. Jokic is top 2, ad is like top 8 at this moment.
I am just looking at the numbers. His block shot numbers in the playoffs have been off the charts. His rebounding numbers are the best of his career. So whether is less athletic or not, that is your take. He is getting the job done so not sure your point. He is motivated right now. Last two years he was not. He wanted a title in 2020. He got it and combined with injuries he had a lousy 2 seasons. Now he seems to have a chip on his shoulder getting snubbed in the end of season awards. Jokic will be a big challenge.

NBA playoffs 2023: 3 best defenders in postseason so far

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-15-2023 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball