Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 09:41 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,995 times

Advertisements

I think this series will go to the wire just like last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 01:42 PM

207 posts, read 149,135 times
Heat have won all three game ones on the road this postseason. That's crazy!

Old 05-18-2023, 03:59 PM

1,109 posts, read 451,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoCO1 View Post
Heat have won all three game ones on the road this postseason. That's crazy!
Yeah, but brown and tatum are really good and younger than butler, everybody will take tatum over butler, and most people will take brown over butler.

The Celtics are much more of a complete team. Its for sure the celtics will win at least 2 games in the series even if they magically lost the series.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:17 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Yeah, but brown and tatum are really good and younger than butler, everybody will take tatum over butler, and most people will take brown over butler.

The Celtics are much more of a complete team. Its for sure the celtics will win at least 2 games in the series even if they magically lost the series.
As a player now? No way.

As a younger guy who has more productive years left than Jimmy, probably.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
As a player now? No way.

As a younger guy who has more productive years left than Jimmy, probably.
Brown has 3+ inches more wingspan and higher standing reach, younger. Look at their stats this season. Its very close and jimmy is more efficient, but length, youth, athleticism matters. I would go slightly more towards brown at this moment.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:20 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Brown has 3+ inches more wingspan and higher standing reach, younger. Look at their stats this season. Its very close and jimmy is more efficient, but length, youth, athleticism matters. I would go slightly more towards brown at this moment.
The stats are very slanted towards Jimmy. He is more efficient as a scorer and distributor and a better defender. Per advanced stats, Brown's offensive/defensive ratings per 100 possessions were 110/111, Jimmy was 135/112! Brown produced 5.0 WS compared to Jimmy's 12.3 WS despite Brown playing more minutes this season.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_...m_id=butleji01

I do think "chuckers" like Brown are a bit underrated on advanced statistical measures, volume scoring is hard to do efficiently night in and night out, but as we see in the playoffs, Jimmy can do that too when he wants, just with more efficiency.

I think you overvalue wingspan. I get it, it's a "hidden stat" that makes you play bigger or smaller than your listed height, but a 6'8'' playing like a 6'8'' guys is still.............a 6'8'' guy. A 6'6' guy with a 6'9'' wingspan won't play like a 6'9'' player, he will play like a 6'6'' guy with long arms. Jimmy has a 8'5.5'' standing reach(the more important measurement,) Brown has a 8'6.5'' standing reach. Taller players get their arms up faster (because they start higher up on their body) so I will call that one inch advantage a wash.

Brown does have youth, so probably worth more on the trade market to anyone but a "win next year" team.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:17 PM

18,028 posts, read 27,479,203 times
Quote:
I give boston a 65% chance of winning, heat 35%. Herro is a non factor since his short wingspan makes him a liability on defense. Him being back or not doesnt matter. Butler has to become jordan to win this.
The Heat should be capitalized and the celtics not.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The stats are very slanted towards Jimmy. He is more efficient as a scorer and distributor and a better defender. Per advanced stats, Brown's offensive/defensive ratings per 100 possessions were 110/111, Jimmy was 135/112! Brown produced 5.0 WS compared to Jimmy's 12.3 WS despite Brown playing more minutes this season.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_...m_id=butleji01

I do think "chuckers" like Brown are a bit underrated on advanced statistical measures, volume scoring is hard to do efficiently night in and night out, but as we see in the playoffs, Jimmy can do that too when he wants, just with more efficiency.

I think you overvalue wingspan. I get it, it's a "hidden stat" that makes you play bigger or smaller than your listed height, but a 6'8'' playing like a 6'8'' guys is still.............a 6'8'' guy. A 6'6' guy with a 6'9'' wingspan won't play like a 6'9'' player, he will play like a 6'6'' guy with long arms. Jimmy has a 8'5.5'' standing reach(the more important measurement,) Brown has a 8'6.5'' standing reach. Taller players get their arms up faster (because they start higher up on their body) so I will call that one inch advantage a wash.

Brown does have youth, so probably worth more on the trade market to anyone but a "win next year" team.

Yes but youth, there is less nagging injuries or injuries. So if the playoffs started now i would value youth a little in my decision for a long playoff run. I would take brown over butler if playoffs started now.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:57 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Quote:
Yes but youth, there is less nagging injuries or injuries. So if the playoffs started now i would value youth a little in my decision for a long playoff run. I would take brown over butler if playoffs started now.
If the goal is to win right now, then it's Jimmy over everyone else, including Tatum and Brown. Sorry, he's just more consistent, tougher, doesnt disappear in big games like Tatum especially tends to do from time to time. Brown has never had to be the top guy and carry the load. Being a number two guy is a lot easier as no one is looking at him when the team loses.

People forget that Jimmy actually missed games in the playoff series against Boston last year with injuries and they still were able to take the series to 7 games. A healthy Butler for the entire series might have changed the outcome. We will see how that goes this time.

Old 05-19-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
If the goal is to win right now, then it's Jimmy over everyone else, including Tatum and Brown. Sorry, he's just more consistent, tougher, doesnt disappear in big games like Tatum especially tends to do from time to time. Brown has never had to be the top guy and carry the load. Being a number two guy is a lot easier as no one is looking at him when the team loses.

People forget that Jimmy actually missed games in the playoff series against Boston last year with injuries and they still were able to take the series to 7 games. A healthy Butler for the entire series might have changed the outcome. We will see how that goes this time.
Tatum is in the talks for regular season mvp, butler never came close to be considered for that in his whole career.

The bulls didnt want to pay butler so they sign and traded him to the wolves. The wolves traded butler to the sixers and kept kat and wiggins. The sixers didn't want to pay butler, chose to keep simmons, pay harris, and sign and traded butler to the heat.

Jimmy is a sf, but as a starting sf he doesnt have the length. He can the sg and has great size as a starter, but he is quick as a above average starting sg, so he is a natural sf. I read somewhere that neck and head height is wasted height, jimmy has a long head and neck, so his shoulders are lower than average for a 6'6 barefoot guy. Thats probably part of the reason why all the teams let him go and didnt want to pay him. Playoff butler is another thing, but many teams will pay tatum, brown, etc. Size for position really matters when getting paid, unless they are elite of the elite, like cp3, iverson, etc. The whole brown vs butler thing is butler is a starting sf, brown is a starting sg, but he sometimes start at sf and tatum at pf. Brown is more of a sg, and he has an inch of standing reach over butler. With all the switches on defense, having size matters. When herro and his short arms is playing sg, butler at sf, they are a very small team. Tatum has a 8'10.5 reach, paired up with browns 8'6.5 reach. Compared to butlers 8'5.5, herros 8'4.5. All of this matters in strals, rebounds, team defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball