Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 06:10 PM

1,224 posts, read 549,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No one was going to beat SC this year.
Over the past 2 seasons, 1 loss last year in the final four to Iowa, and back to back undefeated regular seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 09:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Over the past 2 seasons, 1 loss last year in the final four to Iowa, and back to back undefeated regular seasons.
One thing about Iowa, they will struggle to get back to the Sweet 16, never mind the finals. I do question the recruiting ability of the coach there. Clark had only one top 50 recruit as a teammate. You had Clark doing her thing for 4 years and couldnt leverage that to pull in at least a few top quality players over 4 years? Recruiting might be more important than Xs and Os for a college coach. It looks like a wasted opportunity. They will probably return to obscurity now that she's gone.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:39 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,789,468 times
Hopefully Clark and Reese's popularity in college will translate to popularity in the WNBA and give the league even more viewership.

WNBA viewership increased significantly last year from the year before, so it's a good momentum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf-w...&start_radio=1

Old 05-05-2024, 01:20 PM

32,181 posts, read 34,858,798 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOYusrChsQ

Old 05-05-2024, 04:45 PM

4,063 posts, read 2,407,541 times
^^^^Missed this game. So are the Fever featuring her or is she scoring in the flow of the game? Just curious.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:17 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^^Missed this game. So are the Fever featuring her or is she scoring in the flow of the game? Just curious.
Didn’t watch the game either, from the highlights they are letting her go with the flow instead of force feeding her the ball which is probably the right move in my opinion. They’ve got a couple of good players like Boston so they need to keep building the chemistry.

That aside, it looks like the WNBA is fumbling this opportunity with all the new girls coming in. The Chicago game wasn’t televised. How is that even possible??? It would be a tragedy if they don’t capitalize on this opportunity to showcase all of these girls. Believe it or not, Caitlin Clark isn’t the only new player that people want to see. Angel Reese is another, so is Cameron Brink. Allegedly Reese has only a jersey for sale as merch, nothing else. I just don’t understand how the WNBA doesn’t get some tips from the NBA on how to properly market players.

Old 05-06-2024, 06:07 AM

4,063 posts, read 2,407,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Didn’t watch the game either, from the highlights they are letting her go with the flow instead of force feeding her the ball which is probably the right move in my opinion. They’ve got a couple of good players like Boston so they need to keep building the chemistry.

That aside, it looks like the WNBA is fumbling this opportunity with all the new girls coming in. The Chicago game wasn’t televised. How is that even possible??? It would be a tragedy if they don’t capitalize on this opportunity to showcase all of these girls. Believe it or not, Caitlin Clark isn’t the only new player that people want to see. Angel Reese is another, so is Cameron Brink. Allegedly Reese has only a jersey for sale as merch, nothing else. I just don’t understand how the WNBA doesn’t get some tips from the NBA on how to properly market players.
Yeah, I didn't understand this train of thought. That game should have been on. I heard it was streamed over a million views and, supposedly, this won't happen again. We'll see.

Old 05-12-2024, 09:15 AM

2,076 posts, read 1,655,182 times
I am a fan of Caitlin Clark and am amazed at her impact on the game and resulting expansion of interest. Fan frenzy and sold-out arenas are usually unheard of but now it's all happening. To me, Caitlin's presence benefits the WNBA and women's collegiate sports all the way around - the more exposure the better.

With that said, I am appalled that there are some (not all) black athletes complaining about perceived racism. This can be broken down into subcategories. Caitlyn gets disproportionate attention, disproportionate endorsement deals, etc. No one calls her out on aggressive verbiage in a game, etc. The list goes on-and-on.

First of all, I am Native American. Whereas black athletes get heavily recruited most Native Americans usually got ignored. In states with lots of reservations, there have been winning Native American teams or individuals in a variety of sports: cross country, track, basketball, etc. But they usually didn't get recruited. That has finally started to change in the past decade like at Louisville when the two native girls played a major role in stopping Baylor's repeat with Britney. But for the most part, that's been unusual for Native Americans to get recruited to play at the college level.

So, if an African American woman got (1) recruited heavily to play in college, (2) got a scholarship at a major program, (3) got plenty of playing time and high statistical output, and (4) is now in the WNBA, then I don't get where the "racism" is present? Despite massive presence of African American women in phases (1) through (4) it's still not enough?

Try going back in time and talk to a indigenous women from the 1970s or 1980s who never even got a phone call from a collegiate coach despite winning a state championship, MVP, etc. in some place like Montana or South Dakota or the Four Corners Region. To me, the modern African American women who complain about Caitlyn seem kind of spoiled despite the major pattern of (1) - (4) above. Moreover, Caitlyn's presence actually helps ALL female athletes in college or NBA with economic upward trajectories of a growing fanbase, interest, and raw ad endorsements. Why complain about that when more money and interest are coming?

I am Native American but also Catholic. Caitlyn reminds me of the Catholic sports culture common at parochial schools throughout the country. They are usually inclusive of minorities to a massive level. It's not a "WASP-only" segment of society.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:21 AM

32,181 posts, read 34,858,798 times
Totally agree with grad_student. The white-on-white racism needs to stop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4prZNGzNKk

I suggest you start a thread about this in POC since you're incredibly fond of that forum. This forum is for people who like discussing the actual game of basketball.

Old Today, 12:00 PM

9,982 posts, read 4,729,219 times
Indiana Fever fans want the coach fired already. Feel she's not using Clarke correctly or enough. Some describe the strategy as Clarke being used as a decoy. The coach also said Clarke has to get tougher.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...ed/ar-BB1mzpXU

Her first few games included alot of turnovers which could be adapting to new players and a system.

She helped smash tv ratings again in her opener giving ESPN the largest WNBA audience ever

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/spor...ecord/5418782/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball