Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
As someone who just moved here a few months ago and is several decades past my studly years (such as they were) and recently divorced, I'd say an unexpectedly hard thing is meeting people. Boston seems very youth-oriented (perhaps unsurprisingly) and I don't find many social venues for middle-aged folks (Pittsburgh, for instance, had a lot of jazz clubs where really interesting and accomplished older people went to hang out).

On the other hand, if you are a young person, I don't think that will be as much of a problem--there seem to be lots of places where young people congregate and mingle. That being said, I do think there is something to the stereotype of the somewhat standoffish Bostonian (though obviously there are lots of exceptions to that).

I do like Boston, however. It has wonderful cultural institutions. Get back to me after I've endured my first winter, though, and maybe my ranking of problems will be somewhat different.
Boston winters aren't that bad. I'm from VT, so my opinion might be a bit skewed, but not a lot of snow and not all that cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
Boston winters aren't that bad. I'm from VT, so my opinion might be a bit skewed, but not a lot of snow and not all that cold.
Well with that logic, the Vermont winters aren't that bad compared to Alaska.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM

146 posts, read 393,762 times
Driving and grocery shopping have been very difficult to get used to.
I like cold weather & snow, so that's a plus for me

Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 AM

350 posts, read 1,090,533 times
Just moved to the Boston area, so I'll add my 2-cents:

1) Grocery shopping - leaves much to be desired (but then, I'm used to shopping at Wegmans). Poor choice, not so great quality at regular stores w/high prices (Shaws, StopNShop); extremely high prices at stores with better quality produce and meats (Whole Foods).

2) Lack of street signs, or the ones there are behind a tree. I'm thankful for my GPS!

3) Road condition - very poor overall. I moved from Upstate NY, where there was LOTS of snow and subsequent salting of roads, but the roads were not in the poor condition that they are here. However, there is a significant difference in overall road condition here - they simply don't keep up the roads.

4) Many home do not have garages, or only single car garages (??). I don't get this. I realize the housing stock is older, however I came from an area that had homes built around the same time and most have garages, with many having 2-car garages.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM

40 posts, read 106,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayangel View Post
To anybody that has relocated to Boston, what was the hardest thing about Boston that you had to get used to?? Was it the weather, the traffic, meeting new people, finding a job? How did you finally get over it, or learn to cope with the differences? Have you grown to love Boston? If so, why?
Finding a place to live that was affordable.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
As someone who just moved here a few months ago and is several decades past my studly years (such as they were) and recently divorced, I'd say an unexpectedly hard thing is meeting people. Boston seems very youth-oriented (perhaps unsurprisingly) and I don't find many social venues for middle-aged folks (Pittsburgh, for instance, had a lot of jazz clubs where really interesting and accomplished older people went to hang out).

On the other hand, if you are a young person, I don't think that will be as much of a problem--there seem to be lots of places where young people congregate and mingle. That being said, I do think there is something to the stereotype of the somewhat standoffish Bostonian (though obviously there are lots of exceptions to that).

I do like Boston, however. It has wonderful cultural institutions. Get back to me after I've endured my first winter, though, and maybe my ranking of problems will be somewhat different.
I'd be curious to know what the jazz venues are in Pgh. these days. When I lived there, I could only find a couple on Walnut Street (Shadyside). But, that was many years ago.

Boston actually has a fair number of jazz venues, more than most cities, but you have to know where they are. Riles and Regatta Bar (Charles Hotel) are both in Cambridge. Wally's and Sculler's (Guest Quarters) are both in Boston. Regatta Bar and Sculler's offer world-class acts and generally require pre-purchase of tickets. Riles and Wally's are more neighborhood kinds of places and you can generally just walk in. Wally's also has some excellent blues acts. You can also try the Beehive in Boston. It has some great jazz acts, but tends to be more of a "scene" and you generally have to wait outside on weekends to get in. That supports your ageist view of things.

Actually, I've lived in Boston for 20+ years, and I never cease to be surprised by how age mixed it is (given the grotesque number of college aged people). You'd be surprised by how many places attract a post-college age group. I guess that naturally comes with a city of more than 600,000 people.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM

I almost had a heart attack when I moved to LA (and later, Austin TX) and saw that ALL of the houses had garages. I think I only knew of a few people growing up who had a garage. In Boston. Where you actually really NEED one (in LA, you only need it for the storage).

I realized, after living in other parts of the country, that Bostonians drive in a totally different way than anywhere else. We don't know street names or even what city we're in half the time.

There was an awesome SNL skit YEARS ago all about driving in Boston. It was a game show where whoever gave the most "Boston" directions... won.

i.e. "Take a left at the the Dunkin' Donuts where the wicked fat kid works."

It's all done via landmarks. It's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1 View Post
Just moved to the Boston area, so I'll add my 2-cents:

1) Grocery shopping - leaves much to be desired (but then, I'm used to shopping at Wegmans). Poor choice, not so great quality at regular stores w/high prices (Shaws, StopNShop); extremely high prices at stores with better quality produce and meats (Whole Foods).

2) Lack of street signs, or the ones there are behind a tree. I'm thankful for my GPS!

3) Road condition - very poor overall. I moved from Upstate NY, where there was LOTS of snow and subsequent salting of roads, but the roads were not in the poor condition that they are here. However, there is a significant difference in overall road condition here - they simply don't keep up the roads.

4) Many home do not have garages, or only single car garages (??). I don't get this. I realize the housing stock is older, however I came from an area that had homes built around the same time and most have garages, with many having 2-car garages.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM

95 posts, read 201,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I realized, after living in other parts of the country, that Bostonians drive in a totally different way than anywhere else. We don't know street names or even what city we're in half the time.

There was an awesome SNL skit YEARS ago all about driving in Boston. It was a game show where whoever gave the most "Boston" directions... won.

i.e. "Take a left at the the Dunkin' Donuts where the wicked fat kid works."

It's all done via landmarks. It's insane.
Yes, that skit is so funny! I think you have to live around here to really appreciate it!

What's the Best Way

Stanley Sperrow.....Kevin Nealon
Tony Vallencourt.....Adam Sandler
Katie McGregor.....Glenn Close
Wayne Dunbar.....Phil Hartman
Kalahari Bushman.....Tim Meadows

Announcer: From Boston Mass, right off the Mass Turnpike, it's What's The Best Way - All right, here's your host, Stanley Sperrow -

Stanley Sperrow: Hello, welcome to What's the Best Way, the only game show by New Englanders, for New Englanders. Ok folks, ready to play?

Contestants: Aya, aya.

Stanley Sperrow: Some weather we're having.

Contestants: Oh yeah, oh yeah, Nor'easter.

Stanley Sperrow: Ok, 1st question. How do you get from Providence Rhode Island, to Worchester Mass?

(Tony buzzes in)

Tony Vallencourt: Ok, whatcha gotta do is get on 95 north, follow that to 495, then ya take that for about an hour. Then your gonna see signs for the Mass Pike. Ok get into the far (fah) left lane, then take the Mass Pike west and you'll see this WICKED huge Radio Shack. That's where ya get off, and you're in Worchester, you're right there pal.

Stanley Sperrow: That's correct, yep, ok, here we go. Ok, who's got directions from Quincy Mass, to to Jordan Marsh (Jahdan Mahsh) department store in Bedford, New Hampshire?

(Katie buzzes in)

Stanley Sperrow: Katie.

Katie McGregor: Ok, now you wanna take 93 north to Route 3, now the Jordan Marsh is off exit 6, and it's one, uh two, um 3 traffic lights. But ifyou're heading up there, you really ought to eat breakfast at Shirley's Pancake House, now it's close-by, and they have wonderful peach cobbler - but don't go ona Sunday, cause the after-church crowd is bound to -

Stanley Sperrow: (interrupts) Oh, sorry, that's more than we need.

(Wayne buzzes in)

Stanley Sperrow: Wayne.

Wayne Dunbar: (slowly) Ok - from Quincy to the Jordan Marsh in Bedford, alright, well there are several ways to get there, lets see, well the old route 14 used to go straight there - you just follow the Merrimack River - but that was before the war - so - now you'd have to -

Stanley Sperrow: (interrupts) Sorry, we have a time limit.

Wayne [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Dunbar[/color][/color]: Alright, good luck.

(Tony buzzes in)

Tony Vallencourt: Ok, its 93 north to 3, but its four traffic lights, you hit a Chevron station, and a little past that there's gonna be a retarded (retahded) kid selling fireworks. Hang a left by him you're at the Jordan Marsh pal.

(Wrong answer)

Stanley Sperrow: Oh, sorry. The correct answer is 93 north to 3 north, exit 6, but you hang a right at the retarded kid, and if you cut through the Bedford Mall parking lot you save yourself 5 minutes.

Tony Vallencourt: Is that right pal?

Stanley Sperrow: Oh yeah. Ok, lets meet our contestants. First, Tony Vallencourt. You're an electrical contractor, you enjoy that?

Tony Vallencourt: Oh yeah, pissah.

Stanley Sperrow: And what do you do in your free time?

Tony Vallencourt: I snow plow the K-Mart plaza [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]parking [COLOR=blue ! important]lot[/color][/color][/color] and, uh,candlepin bowling.

Stanley Sperrow: Alright, Katie McGregor. You work at a wicker shop?

Katie McGregor: Aya, I'm part (paht) owner.

Stanley Sperrow: And what do you do in your free time?

Katie McGregor: I like to make pottery, and I like to candlepin bowl.

Stanley Sperrow: Ah - and Wayne Dunbar, you're retired?

Wayne Dunbar: Aya.

Stanley Sperrow: And in your free time?

Wayne Dunbar: (slowly) Oh, you know, go out on the porch - look out at the stars - and candlepin bowling.

Stanley Sperrow: Ok folks, back to our game. From Hartford to Sturbridge -

(Katie buzzes in)

Katie McGregor: Ok, now that's straight on route 84, but you're gonna want to avoid the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]tourist[/color][/color] traps up there, now, if you go up Manhill Road,you'll see a pretty [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Bed [COLOR=blue ! important]and [/color][COLOR=blue ! important]Breakfast[/color][/color][/color] in Bradford - but that's a little out of your way, but it's very reasonable. And there's a farm (fahm) down the hill where you can get fresh Maine blueberries, of course, but that's only in the summer -

(Wrong answer)

Stanley Sperrow: Sorry Katie, I didn't finish the question. From Hartford to Sturbridge, how many Dunkin Donuts along the way?

(Tony buzzes in)

Stanley Sperrow: Tony.

Tony Vallencourt: Fourteen.

Stanley Sperrow: Correct! Bonus point for each drive-thru.

Tony Vallencourt: - Four

Stanley Sperrow: That's right!

Tony Vallencourt: Yeah, and the one in Caucus got this WICKED fat kid workin' there.

Stanley Sperrow: Ok, from Boston (Bahston) Mass to Nashua New Hampshire.

(Wayne buzzes in)

Wayne Dunbar: Can't get there from here.

(Wrong answer)

Stanley Sperrow: Sorry, you can.

(Tony buzzes in)

Stanley Sperrow: Tony.

Tony Vallencourt: Boston to Nashua? You goin' up there to buy liquor pally?

Stanley Sperrow: Aya, no sales tax.

Tony Vallencourt: Alright, you just gotta shoot up 95, but watch your ass crossin' over the border. Those state troopers are outa control.

Stanley Sperrow: That's correct Tony!

Tony Vallencourt: Hey, I don't care if you're 1 mile over the speed limit, they're haulin' your ass into Muni Court.

Stanley Sperrow: Ok, Tony.

Tony Vallencourt: I'm tellin' ya pal, these guys got a quota and a WICKED radar (radah) gun.

Stanley Sperrow: Ok, Tony, the game's still going here. Newport, Rhode Island to Roxbury Mass.

(Katie buzzes in)

Katie McGregor: What do ya wanna go there for?

Stanley Sperrow: That's right, there's no reason to go to Roxbury!

Tony Vallencourt: Hey you can go to Roxbury if you bring your nunchucks pal, I'll tell you that much.

Stanley Sperrow: A whole lotta crack up there. Ok, homestretch.

Tony Vallencourt: Those maniacs'll slice ya and dice ya pally.

Stanley Sperrow: Ok Tony. Ok - how do you get from Dorchester Mass, to Mike Bigelow's house?

(Wayne buzzes in)

Wayne Dunbar: (slowly) Ok, from Dorchester, oh dear, that's uh,alright, well [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Dorchester's[/color][/color] south of Shrewsbury, so -

Stanley Sperrow: (interrupts) Oh sorry, we could see what was coming.

Wayne Dunbar: Alright, good luck.

(sirens)

Stanley Sperrow: Ok, that means we're out of time, so Tony, you're the winner pal. (Music plays, curtain opens) That means you'll be joining our bonus round over here, and you'll be joining our Kalahari Bushman,and his innate sense of direction. Welcome back Zelma.

[COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Kalahari[/color][/color] Bushman: (makes tongue noise) Good to be back.

Stanley Sperrow: Alright, how do you get from New Milford Connecticut, to the biggest Waterslide in Boothbay Harbor Maine?

(Tony and Bushman give directions, Bushman finishes first)

Stanley Sperrow: The Bushman's got it! The Bushman's got it! - Well don't feel bad Tony; you still win a quart of Block Island Honey.

Tony Vallencourt: That's wicked good!

Stanley Sperrow: And Zelma, as always you win a pound and a quart of fresh Maine lobster.

Kalahari Bushman: (makes tongue noise) Pissah.

Stanley Sperrow: Alright, see you next time on "How do You Get There?".

Katie McGregor: You mean, "What's The Best Way?".

Stanley Sperrow: There ya go.

(fade)

Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,255,600 times
I grew up in MA and live in San Antonio now. About the drivers...yes I agree Boston drivers are very aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive as pick up truck drivers down here. They will tailgate you for sport and try to run you off the road. There is also a very high accident rate down here in comparison (imo). There 's more of a carelessness down here. Now, about the social scene. Bostonians are actually very friendly and geniune compared to Texans. It seems many people down here expect others to be impressed by their money or their education. That does not fly in Boston. If you're not going to make an effort to meet people, they will not approach you. If you do make real friends in Boston, they will stay almost freakishly loyal to you and not be afraid to tell it like it is. If you're one of these hypersenistive southerners or midwesterers, don't move to Boston...pure and simple.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 PM

Interesting that you see it that way. I lived in Austin, TX for a while. I DO agree that there seem to be more accidents there. Every other car has a smashed-in tail light. But I found the drivers to be WAY too laid back. i.e. sitting at a light as it turns from red to green, then back to red, then green, and as you're beeping at them wondering what the hell, they look at YOU like you're crazy!

I never had anyone try to run me off the road in TX (unless they were accidentally drifting into it... which did happen quite a bit), but I HAVE in Boston.

Personally, I found the people in Austin to be extremely friendly & genuine! Much more so than in Boston. Austin is the friendliest place I've ever lived, actually.

That whole "When you make friends in Boston they're friends for life... unlike everywhere else" thing is crap in my opinion. Bostonians are no more "genuine," "loyal," etc... than anywhere else. I've met "friends for life" in LA and been backstabbed by a friend in Boston. (and vice versa)

And, sometimes the "Tell you like it is" attitude is NOT very charming or welcome. Sometimes I don't WANT to be told "like it is!" i.e. about your crappy day when I'm just trying to order lunch from you. There's honesty and then there's "telling it like it is." I prefer honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I grew up in MA and live in San Antonio now. About the drivers...yes I agree Boston drivers are very aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive as pick up truck drivers down here. They will tailgate you for sport and try to run you off the road. There is also a very high accident rate down here in comparison (imo). There 's more of a carelessness down here. Now, about the social scene. Bostonians are actually very friendly and geniune compared to Texans. It seems many people down here expect others to be impressed by their money or their education. That does not fly in Boston. If you're not going to make an effort to meet people, they will not approach you. If you do make real friends in Boston, they will stay almost freakishly loyal to you and not be afraid to tell it like it is. If you're one of these hypersenistive southerners or midwesterers, don't move to Boston...pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston