Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Here in California, we have lots of green on left signals . That is why it is so much easier to drive than it is on Long Island where you just have to make scary left turns into oncoming traffic. Also , lots of four way stop signs are here & people obey them . It is very easy to drive here (warning signs , lighted shining dots for night driving).

Is it that way in Boston or is it more like LI (no helpful ways at all)?
Boston has a lot of left green arrows. The primary problem with Boston, beside the fact that the lights are maddeningly timed so you hop from one red light to the next, is that there is virtually no warning of left and right turn only lanes until you are right on top of them.

I've lived in Boston a long time now, and I still find myself getting into left turn only lanes when I want to go straight - usually in neighborhoods I don't know well. It is more than just a little bit annoying!!

The street markings wear off and - occasionally - they will put a small sign at the intersection that says something like "Oh yeah, this is a left/right turn only lane" in about 10 point font!!! It's nothing like CA and other places with good traffic planning where there are clearly marked signs over the intersection itself.

On my earlier point regarding light timing: You would think that in an age when gas is almost $4 a gallon and many people are acutely green aware, the city would make more of an effort to time lights so that it minimizes the amount of time people spend idling. The light thing is, for me, far and away the worst aspect of driving in Boston. End rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Here in California, we have lots of green on left signals . That is why it is so much easier to drive than it is on Long Island where you just have to make scary left turns into oncoming traffic. Also , lots of four way stop signs are here & people obey them . It is very easy to drive here (warning signs , lighted shining dots for night driving).

Is it that way in Boston or is it more like LI (no helpful ways at all)?
Boston has the most horrendous hodgepodge traffic grid of anywhere I've ever been. Despite years of fighting with city hall, Boston STILL has their pedestrian cross light go on the same time as cars make turns. Streets signs only show side streets. 4 cars in a row will squeak through the red light after it changes. Drivers will pass on the right high speed in crowded city streets jammed with pedestrians. Pedestrians will purposely block traffic. If you don't know what lane you're supposed to be in on Storrow Drive or many other streets a half mile before you get to your exit, you may end up across the harbor instead of downtown. Total gridlock is common. People run out of gas stuck in traffic. Backing down one way streets is a gag.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Boston has the most horrendous hodgepodge traffic grid of anywhere I've ever been. Despite years of fighting with city hall, Boston STILL has their pedestrian cross light go on the same time as cars make turns. Streets signs only show side streets. 4 cars in a row will squeak through the red light after it changes. Drivers will pass on the right high speed in crowded city streets jammed with pedestrians. Pedestrians will purposely block traffic. If you don't know what lane you're supposed to be in on Storrow Drive or many other streets a half mile before you get to your exit, you may end up across the harbor instead of downtown. Total gridlock is common. People run out of gas stuck in traffic. Backing down one way streets is a gag.
I couldn't agree more! Though I think a lot of the behavior is a direct consequence of the city's haphazard traffic "planning".

Case in point: In my view, the worst intersection in the city - hands down - is Dorchester Avenue and Hancock Street. Anyone who has driven there will know exactly what I mean. This a major intersection with perennial blinking yellow and red lights - at any time of the day. With Freeport Street coming in at an odd angle on the other side, it is a disaster waiting to happen (I'm sure there have been many bad accidents there over the years).

Yet, for the many years I've lived in Boston, the city has never changed the lights. It's kind of hard to blame drivers when the city is effectively saying - free for all!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
In my experience the walk lights only come on when traffic stopped in all directions, which makes them pretty useless for able-bodied people. As long as drivers traveling in the same direction have the green light I want the walk light; I can take my chances with drivers turning left and right. As for street signs, within Boston itself the major street names are all signed. It's all those other communities that neglect the main street and sign only the side street-- like Newton, Cambridge, Somerville-- you know who you are!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
I responded a year ago, and my basic point still stands. The extra money spent on housing is the biggest drain and disappointment about living in the greater Boston area. Whether it's the added 400-500/month for an apartment, or the additional 100-200K for a basic house, it can certainly test your willingness to stay here, even with all the other amenities.

It's largely for this reason why I say that while I like Boston, I don't really love it, and I do keep my eye out for greener pastures.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
While on the subject of Boston traffic, I thought I'd just share this little video I took on Monday. Post 4th fireworks traffic - only a glimpse, but just gives you an idea of just how bad Boston traffic can get. Pedestrians walk right down the middle of Mass Ave completely shutting down the street - joyfully I might add. What's not shown here is how we waited 20 minutes before I started vidding.

YouTube - ‪Boston Traffic Jam Post Fireworks‬‏

Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 PM

95 posts, read 269,190 times
So it would seem from the majority of posts here that the traffic/drivers/poor road design, etc. would rank high on the list. Being a person who does not have a car, and comes from a different perspective, I thought I would add the following:

- Being from CT originally, the only thing that went up in cost for me was my apartment, a couple of hundred a month. Given it was for a place almost 2x as large as my old place in New Haven. My renters insurance, sales tax (given, only by .1 %), and food costs all went down.

- The hardest part was the actual relocation! Moving trucks are not really made for narrow Boston streets. Although I live in Roslindale, I had to pick up a piece of furniture near downtown. I would advise against this. I was the cause of a major backup because I didn't want to damage the truck, and didn't really have anywhere to pull off and load the furniture (sorry to the drivers behind me that day...).

- 2nd hardest was the ridiculous up-front costs of moving in. I consider myself lucky that I got away with 1st, last, and 1/2 fee. The upfront costs for even a moderately-priced apartment can easily run you 3 or 4 thousand dollars and up with everything you have to pay out. Coming from a city where the norm was usually one month + security, even when using a realtor, this was a bit shocking in general, as well as to the bank account.

Otherwise, I love it here so far. New Haven is a total dump compared to Boston.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM

158 posts, read 545,653 times
As a native, I dont have complaints about Boston drivers, I do have a major bug up my rear about driving in Boston, or in Massachusetts for that matter. And its not the drivers, its the authorities.

I think our licensing, registration, insurance, inspection, ticketing gauntlet is one of the worst in the country. We have a reputation for high taxes, but its the bloody fines and fees that kill you. Having a car in Massachusetts and Boston is basically a way for the state and city to squeeze more money from you.

The insurance system is expensive and draconian. The RMV is a nightmare. Parking restrictions suck. And pay attention to those tow signs. They will tow you - 5 minutes late on street cleaning - gone. 3 minuted late to the meter - boom. I get booted and towed more than I'd like to admit. Tickets are way too expensive, and you can't always tell which zone you are in. Living in Boston doesnt mean you can park in Boston, just your tiny neighborhood.

Once, a statie ran my plates, made me tow my car once because my registration was four days late. I once left my car in another residential hood for a night, I knew I would get tagged for a ticket, but I got three tickets, two from the ticket fairies and once from BPD. And the meter fairies will ticket you for state violations. That one kills me. I park in the street, and I failed an inspection over a couple things. I needed a few days to get it in the garage. but I got ticketed twice a day for three straight days in Charlestown for having a week old inspection sticker. And one unpaid ticket out in the boondocks and you are treated like you are on a terrorist watch list. You have to weave your way through the system, proving this paid and that is settled. Also, inspections are yearly here. Only about half the states even have inspections. NH doesnt even have mandatory auto insurance. But they will get you here. Toll fees are rising.

Just drives me nuts... Its an easy city to do without a car, which is wise if you can live that way. But I need to get out of the city or I will go nuts.

Last edited by lukec; 07-06-2011 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 06:22 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
Aside from driving in the city, I hate the parking. Granted boston is supposed to for walking and taking T and buses, those coming in from the suburbs still need to rely on driving. Street parking is rarely available and the restrictions are impossible to decipher.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
That video reminded me of Manhattan where pedestrians routinely block cars. How about places like Arlington & Brookline, though. Are they difficult to navigate as well?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston