Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 03:04 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Within days of those people injured from the escalator malfunction at Back Bay, now a train derails at Broadway. Luckily, nobody was reported injured.

Is there any hope for this authority, as well as the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in its ineptness and total failure at maintaining its infrastructure? It really does feel like a banana republic in that regard (some "banana republics" are actually light years ahead though TBH).

Red Line derails at Broadway, shuttle buses in service, MBTA says expect delays

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/09...es-in-service/

"The MBTA is warning passengers to expect delays this morning after a Red Line train derailed at the Broadway Station.
There were 47 passengers aboard the train when it derailed around 9:45 a.m. on Tuesday, but no one was injured, MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said.
Elisabeth Boyce-Jacino, who was on the train but riding three cars behind the one that derailed, said the train car struck a side wall while near the station.
The southbound Red Line train was moving at a slow rate of speed when it derailed and made contact with the edge of the platform, Pesaturo said. It was the second car in a six-car train.
The MBTA said the cause of the derailment is under investigation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 03:11 PM

16,300 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Again get the corporation who make their employees get to work by the MBTA pay for this.

It's not on the city anymore.

Old 09-28-2021, 03:19 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
The MBTA was used as a patronage dumping ground for decades and perhaps still is. I hope the new "Board of Directors" is a step in the right direction, but they also need to focus on getting their existing infrastructure current before entertaining any additional talk of expansion. That Green Line expansion boondoggle never should have happened before investing in what they already have. I'd also like to see a study of potentially transitioning to a regional authority that gets it out from under the total control of the state.

Old 09-28-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
they also need to focus on getting their existing infrastructure current before entertaining any additional talk of expansion. That Green Line expansion boondoggle never should have happened before investing in what they already have.

+++

Old 09-28-2021, 05:39 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
+++
While I agree that what’s in place needs work, every day that passes without an OLX to Rozzi Square I die a little more inside.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:12 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
The Boston Street Railway Association director once told me that the biggest irony about public transportation is that it is mostly run by individuals who don't ride public transportation and don't like anyone who likes public transportation. Let's face it. The MBTA and just about every other major transit operator in North America is being run by political hacks who drive in flashy private vehicles to their indoor parking garages. They don't know what really goes on down at the surface level. That's probably why the MBTA spokesperson dismissed the Back Bay escalator accident and now the Red Line derailment as "minor" accidents; the same spokesperson criticized passengers for smashing windows and breaking out of an Orange Line train after they smelled heavy smoke some years back. I am a transit buff and I will continue to ride the T to eternity but I have to admit the MBTA leadership is delusional as heck. They need to get off their pedestals and come ride with the rest of us. Then they will have no excuse if they're late to their own board meetings because of some mishap on the very system they're leading.

BTW #01745, the train car that derailed today, is a UTDC built car that was probably manufactured in Canada. These cars rolled out in the mid 1980's and should have been retired already. The track the train was running on is probably even more ancient.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
While I agree that what’s in place needs work, every day that passes without an OLX to Rozzi Square I die a little more inside.

Oh dude...

Old 09-28-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The Boston Street Railway Association director once told me that the biggest irony about public transportation is that it is mostly run by individuals who don't ride public transportation and don't like anyone who likes public transportation. Let's face it. The MBTA and just about every other major transit operator in North America is being run by political hacks who drive in flashy private vehicles to their indoor parking garages. They don't know what really goes on down at the surface level. That's probably why the MBTA spokesperson dismissed the Back Bay escalator accident and now the Red Line derailment as "minor" accidents; the same spokesperson criticized passengers for smashing windows and breaking out of an Orange Line train after they smelled heavy smoke some years back. I am a transit buff and I will continue to ride the T to eternity but I have to admit the MBTA leadership is delusional as heck. They need to get off their pedestals and come ride with the rest of us. Then they will have no excuse if they're late to their own board meetings because of some mishap on the very system they're leading.

BTW #01745, the train car that derailed today, is a UTDC built car that was probably manufactured in Canada. These cars rolled out in the mid 1980's and should have been retired already. The track the train was running on is probably even more ancient.

Taking away their free parking would be a great move!

Old 09-29-2021, 05:18 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The MBTA was used as a patronage dumping ground for decades and perhaps still is. I hope the new "Board of Directors" is a step in the right direction, but they also need to focus on getting their existing infrastructure current before entertaining any additional talk of expansion. That Green Line expansion boondoggle never should have happened before investing in what they already have. I'd also like to see a study of potentially transitioning to a regional authority that gets it out from under the total control of the state.
To be fair, they are doing some upgrades and maintenance, but it seems to heavily favor the green lines. They've redone the rails and some stations on the B already, the C and D both got rail replacement projects in the last 2 years, and they're doing replacements and upgrades on the E right now (in addition to the GLX).

My perception is that the red and blue lines are largely ignored, the orange gets tiny bits of TLC here and there, and the green line is the apple of their eye.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:19 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
We will see what becomes reality if Michelle Wu becomes mayor. She has been campaigning heavily to repair the MBTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston