Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 08:13 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You can eat (and drink) quality, non-chain food for cheap in cities like New York, Paris, London, Tokyo, etc. If the greatest and most expensive cities in the world can maintain that in spite of rampant gentrification, why can't Boston? At some point, the new affluent residents are going to get tired of fast casual chains, banks, and national chain pharmacies occupying every storefront. Something's got to give.
Weird to me that we talk like this is all of Boston. In places where I frequent Westie, Rozzie, HP, JP, Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan its basically all (rinky dink) mom and pops.

This sanitized Boston people speak of is grossly exaggerated because even the South End, Eastie, and Mission Hill have PLENTY of small local options...

At some point, people will have to just accept that the core of Boston is boring and sanitized. Most of the city? Much less so. I virtually never feel I have to eat there lol. I eat at Comellas, Rincon Caribeno, Zaz, Top Mix, DeNos, Suya Joint, Obossa, and Blarney Stone before I eat at some noodles co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 08:38 AM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Weird to me that we talk like this is all of Boston. In places where I frequent Westie, Rozzie, HP, JP, Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan its basically all (rinky dink) mom and pops.

This sanitized Boston people speak of is grossly exaggerated because even the South End, Eastie, and Mission Hill have PLENTY of small local options...

At some point, people will have to just accept that the core of Boston is boring and sanitized. Most of the city? Much less so. I virtually never feel I have to eat there lol. I eat at Comellas, Rincon Caribeno, Zaz, Top Mix, DeNos, Suya Joint, Obossa, and Blarney Stone before I eat at some noodles co.
Nobody's saying the entire city is currently sanitized from border to border. What we're talking about is how things are trending. Allston isn't in the "core" of Boston, and you'd be laughed at if you talked about it gentrifying not all that long ago. But you can't really talk about it today without mentioning the changes due to gentrification. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen quick when the pace starts to increase.

I've only been in Eastie for 3 years. You're right, there are plenty of small local options. But in those three years, I've seen a good number of those go belly-up and the newcomers are along the lines of Chase Bank, TD Bank, EBO (yuppie convenience store selling oysters, caviar, and "curated" wine), Smoke Shop, Next Door, Tall Ship, Mida, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of occupied store fronts and restaurants that draw crowds and employ people. But it's impossible to ignore that the number of those small, affordable local spots is on the decline while the number of expensive chains is on the rise. It may not be happening in Mattapan yet (though it is happening in DOT, JP, and even Rox - albeit at a slower pace), but it's the way things are trending in most of the city.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:39 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:

We are talking about Allston right now though. Not Seaport. We have lost a great number of small music venues in recent times.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:50 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

Allston in the past offered a diversity in offerings that you didn't find in these other neighborhoods (JP maybe being the exception, but still didn't have the quantity). Guess everything has shifted a bit. It is crazy how much more variety there is now in places like Westie, Rozzie and Eastie.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:55 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Nobody's saying the entire city is currently sanitized from border to border. What we're talking about is how things are trending. Allston isn't in the "core" of Boston, and you'd be laughed at if you talked about it gentrifying not all that long ago. But you can't really talk about it today without mentioning the changes due to gentrification. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen quick when the pace starts to increase.

I've only been in Eastie for 3 years. You're right, there are plenty of small local options. But in those three years, I've seen a good number of those go belly-up and the newcomers are along the lines of Chase Bank, TD Bank, EBO (yuppie convenience store selling oysters, caviar, and "curated" wine), Smoke Shop, Next Door, Tall Ship, Mida, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of occupied store fronts and restaurants that draw crowds and employ people. But it's impossible to ignore that the number of those small, affordable local spots is on the decline while the number of expensive chains is on the rise. It may not be happening in Mattapan yet (though it is happening in DOT, JP, and even Rox - albeit at a slower pace), but it's the way things are trending in most of the city.
As more of the new affluent residents come in, the demand for small, affordable local spots will continue to decline. If someone goes to a place like Mida to casually grab dinner on a Tuesday night, or Flour to grab a $5 muffin and $6 coffee each morning, do you think they're going to be that bothered paying $20 for a burger at lunch?

Allston (and Brighton) changed a lot in the last 10 years. I don't think the college student atmosphere will ever completely go away, but it's also gentrified a lot, as evidenced by the changes between Everett and Market in Allston, the updates to stores along Comm Ave by BU, and all the new luxury mid-rises being built up around the Washington St/Comm Ave area.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
As more of the new affluent residents come in, the demand for small, affordable local spots will continue to decline. If someone goes to a place like Mida to casually grab dinner on a Tuesday night, or Flour to grab a $5 muffin and $6 coffee each morning, do you think they're going to be that bothered paying $20 for a burger at lunch?

Allston (and Brighton) changed a lot in the last 10 years. I don't think the college student atmosphere will ever completely go away, but it's also gentrified a lot, as evidenced by the changes between Everett and Market in Allston, the updates to stores along Comm Ave by BU, and all the new luxury mid-rises being built up around the Washington St/Comm Ave area.
That's what I'm saying. And frankly, it's ok for some of that shift to take place as long as we can maintain a certain balance over the long run. There's room in the city for $5 muffins and $20 burgers as well as $1 pupusas and $6 Bahn Mis. Cities that are far more affluent and significant on a global scale than Boston have managed to do this, even in their cores. The influx of affluent residents is a good thing in a lot of ways and we can't (and shouldn't want to) stop it. But we can change policy to give the smaller businesses (and low/middle class residents) that are already here a chance at staying. Nobody should just accept that Boston will become a wealthy enclave that caters only to people who can pay $20+ for a burger.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:51 AM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
So if people are so willing to pay $20 for a burger and $6 for a coffee then why did a new taco bell just go in to this area? Obviously someone saw a need for this type of food.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I hate to say it but this is everywhere in America, especially in declining areas wher only a chain can weather the storm.

I also see new mom and pops open all the time in Boston and elsewhere not as many as chain but they do. EBO sounds like it could be pretty cool actually. Im not amd at who they cater too.

Lastly, the Boston area has always had- IMO- far too few chains compared ot the South and the West. I like some chains and i like some mom and pops. but certain parts of the Boston Metro are or were to devoid of larger quality chains where you can know what you're going to get before you walk in. There's some value in that.

Now were seeing a correction in that and its perhaps jarring. just my opinon..

Old 08-10-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
We are talking about Allston right now though. Not Seaport. We have lost a great number of small music venues in recent times.
Sure. I was just talking generally in boston. The comment and general sentiment has always kind of perplexed me some.

Old 08-10-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I hate to say it but this is everywhere in America, especially in declining areas wher only a chain can weather the storm.

I also see new mom and pops open all the time in Boston and elsewhere not as many as chain but they do. EBO sounds like it could be pretty cool actually. Im not amd at who they cater too.

Lastly, the Boston area has always had- IMO- far too few chains compared ot the South and the West. I like some chains and i like some mom and pops. but certain parts of the Boston Metro are or were to devoid of larger quality chains where you can know what you're going to get before you walk in. There's some value in that.

Now were seeing a correction in that and its perhaps jarring. just my opinon..
It's also true in areas that are gentrifying and chains (or at least major investor or restaurant group backed chefs) are the only ones that can afford the rent, the liquor license, and the cost to navigate the rest of the red tape.

But chain restaurants are only the tip of the iceberg (and the lesser of the evils as far as I'm concerned). The other national chains that occupy those spaces are cell phone stores, banks, pharmacies, etc. The addition of a Taco Bell isn't the key issue here. It's just a symptom. The issue is the loss of a longstanding local venue because it could no longer afford rent. Taco Bell just happened to be the national chain that could afford it. This story plays out all over the city. Not just with the loss of institutions like Great Scott, but retail spaces in new development that can't be touched by the little guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston