Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM

179 posts, read 829,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
How soon are you moving to Montreal?
I recently got accepted for permanent residence in January. So I'm calculating maybe 6 months while I renew medical exams and police certificates.

I lived in Ontario and Québec for two years on a temporary permit. Then I came back and the Canadian embassy in Mexico lived up to its reputation of being complete a$$holes, and a process that was supposed to take 6 months, has taken 2 1/2 years and counting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 02:03 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
That bites. What is the hold up with them?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:22 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,077 times
Quote:
LOL - well, having lived in both Alberta and Quebec City, I would have to say that for me, Alberta wins hands down for natural beauty but Quebec City wins for stunning old buildings, restaurants and joie de vivre
Nahh Quebec City is nicer. Though I'm Anti Alberta.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,077 times
lol just joking. Everyone has their own opinions.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 AM

Video and photographs are one thing, but have you ever been out to the Rockies? I'm a Maritimer through and through, and I loved living in Quebec City - but the first time I saw the Rocky Mountains it literally took my breath away. Majestic, stunningly gorgeous - and the colour of the little lakes that are everywhere there are jade green, turquoise - I've been lots of places, but the only place that even rivals it a wee bit thus far has been the big island of Hawaii. And Alberta's mountains still won LOL.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
That bites. What is the hold up with them?
Too much to post here, plus I don't wanna badmouth the Embassy more than what I have already

I'll just patiently wait. I already got approved anyway. Ever gotten that feeling of eagerness right before moving to a new place? Where you start researching so much info on that new place that your brain goes into overdrive? That's how I've been for the past couple of months. It's insane.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Too much to post here, plus I don't wanna badmouth the Embassy more than what I have already

I'll just patiently wait. I already got approved anyway. Ever gotten that feeling of eagerness right before moving to a new place? Where you start researching so much info on that new place that your brain goes into overdrive? That's how I've been for the past couple of months. It's insane.
LOL - yeah - did that before I moved from Canada to the UK! Mind you I do that even when I am just going on vacation!

Have you spent a winter in Montreal yet?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
LOL - yeah - did that before I moved from Canada to the UK! Mind you I do that even when I am just going on vacation!

Have you spent a winter in Montreal yet?
I have. I often find that a lot of Canadians get depressed during winter. I just think that you have to make the most out of it. I'm trying to take up snowboarding once I go back, and see how I do :P

Wost experience ever: Went partying sometime around mid-December, and the weather was surprisingly nice, like 8c, so I was wearing just a light jacket, and by the time I was drunk enough and went home (4 or 5 am) the temperature had dropped to something like -25 with the windchill.... And the worst part is that Canadian beer and its strong content of alcohol makes you feel invincible, so I thought nothing of it until the next morning when I woke up with the worst fever of my life, which lasted 2 weeks.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 AM

I always found February a depressing month - short days, excitement of the holidays is over and spring still a long way off. Ugh!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Lady Sunshine, our government has introduced a 2-year conditional (temporary) permanent residence for those coming to join their spouses. This new visa rule for sponsored spouses has kicked in legally a couple of weeks or so ago.

If there is a separation within that time frame, then the sponsoree might lose the visa, and might be deported. In other words, the relationship (nuptial nexus) must last beyond the stipulated 2 years. Then only the full permanent residence will be granted.

I certainly don't wish it on any lady, mother and her child (children).
I think the 2-year policy is a good one in practice - but a lot of people will fall through the cracks. One of the three couples I mentioned earlier split up after only a few months in Canada and the guy (American) remained in Canada and is now living on disability benefits (after having a nervous breakdown) - and probably will for the rest of his life. He said he can't return to the USA as he can't get medical coverage there now due to his condition. I am torn between compassion and wondering how many other people Canadian taxpayers are supporting in similar situations. It's a tough call. I guess as a civilised society we should error on the side of humanity in that one.

On the other hand, I know another girl that married a friend from another country (not the USA) so he could immigrate. She got $10,000 out of the deal. So there definitely is a problem that needs to be fixed.

The situation of the pregnant Scottish lady in the video? Horrendous. Even if she wasn't covered by BC healthcare, the child emerging from her is a Canadian citizen (as is the father) and that should never have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada