Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:02 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times

Advertisements

Do Canadians have to pay duty for declared amount of packages sent to them from family members?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Absolutely. Governments seldom miss an opportunity to add to their coffers.

There are some exceptions, however.

If an article is sent through the postal system, has a declared and believeable value of $60 CND or less, and is intended as a gift it won't be subject to duties.

Courier companies such as FedEx and UPS appoint themselves as the sender's customs broker and will charge the receiver both a brokerage fee and any applicable taxes and/or duties.

You can find all duty information at the Canada Border Services Agency's web site:

www.cbsa-asfa.gc.ca (broken link)

Old 09-27-2007, 01:57 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
My sis in law tells us to declare a 1.00-5.00 value on everything we send up there.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 17,242 times
Responding to KW, I'm not sure but I think Health Care is a provincial responsibility and might be different depending on the province. But then again, the situation of your wife seems to have to do with Immigration and Employment laws as well.
And responding to Jadel812, the Premier of B.C., Gordon Campbell (the guy that got fined for a DUI while in Hawaii with his pregnant g/f, much to the chagrin of his wife. Yeah, that guy.) recently just gave himself a 52% raise. The other members of his government also received raises, while our health care suffers and financing for homeless shelters and drug outreach programs is dwindling. So though our government isn't so deeply entrenched with private contracting conpanies and the like, it just goes to show politicians of all places have their flaws. Even Trudeau, God rest his soul, one of the greatest Prime Ministers of Canada, had his faults. Especially when dealing with Aboriginals and relations between other politicians of the country. I really don't think René Lévesque ever forgave him...

Old 09-29-2007, 07:52 PM

66 posts, read 203,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underworkings View Post
Responding to KW, I'm not sure but I think Health Care is a provincial responsibility and might be different depending on the province. But then again, the situation of your wife seems to have to do with Immigration and Employment laws as well.
The law gives professional health bodies the freedom to make their own rules. Does that mean their regulations are necessarily fair? Do you really think the doctors are doing all they can to let foreign trained doctors to eliviate our doctor shortage?

If you look at the appeals from immigrants against professional health bodies before the Health Professions Appeal and Review board in Ontario (see Annual Reports (http://www.hparb.on.ca/english/reports/2005_Ann_report.htm - broken link) registration matters) why are so many of the decisions by these professional health bodies overturned?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 17,242 times
Oh, I'm not saying what they do is right or fair at all. I read recently in the paper that two different doctor on Vancouver Island are facing multiple (and I mean MULTIPLE) counts of sexual assault versus their female clients. However, they're still being allowed to continue practice as long as female clients provide a chaperone. The worst part is they don't need to tell them WHY they need one, either. The thing that's frightening is that B.C. law doesn't require medical colleges to provide open records of their doctors to the public. So say a doctor like the above mentioned, was sued for any type of assault or what-have-you, and it was settled out of court, the public would have no way of knowing. The fact is, money talks. A shortage of trained doctors probably means they have an opportunity to charge more for their services and aren't interested in seeing that change. Scary...

Old 09-29-2007, 08:45 PM

66 posts, read 203,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underworkings View Post
Oh, I'm not saying what they do is right or fair at all.
Ahhhh. I thought when you mentioned law - that meant since it was there - everything must be fair.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:25 AM

20 posts, read 212,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Boo!

actual snow removal (what they do here on Long Island is laughable), etc.

I'm willing to live in Canada where they still believe in middle class.

NYSinger
Hey NYSinger - I agree. We lack a strong middle class here. I am also from Long Island. Is it true about the snow removal thing. I know its a bit off topic but I go back and forth but never in the winter. If so, another reason for my family and I to get off the Isand. We can't afford it anymore.

Sandy

Old 08-19-2008, 04:39 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,650 times
my opinions
I'd move to canada, so the tax's are higher, but it's not as boom or bust as the united states. If your trying to make it on your own, and you get sick, it can take years to work out of it. And legal immigration is hard everywhere, would you rather have canada letting in anybody? Their security is our security as well. Politicians are politicians everywhere, thats universal.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,847 times
Not as boom or bust??? Are you kidding? Canada has a resource based economy and the old saying goes "when America sneezes, Canada catches a cold." Those folks who are going around saying that the Can/US economies have "decoupled" are ridiculous, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada