Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:14 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
I think i should too...

and no they dont , they dont have money to contribute so they suck the money out of everyone else that actually has an income, the government seems to be fine with it too.

I have American neighbours down the street and they aren't any different than we are. AND I also have Korean friens a few streets down. Big surprise, they don't "suck" off anybody, they openned their own business. The diggerence between immigrants and Canadians is that immigrants are willing to live in not so fancy houses and not have all the toys we have. And they are willing to work and sweat harder than we are to achieve what they want. We're a spoiled nation used to having things easy or handed down for the most part. I see the difference in our students and immigrant students everyday, they are in school to work and learn, not to party.

Moderator cut: Good points but let's leave out the personal criticism

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-24-2008 at 07:59 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 12:21 PM

207 posts, read 748,817 times
We do have "redneck" in Canada too and they don't just live in the wood, some of them live in Big City. They like to blame the Immigrants for all their Social/Economic problems.
They cannot comprehend that Canada need Immigrants in all areas of professions to sustained economic growth, competitiveness and new tax revenue. They blamed the immigrant for their problem because their parent tell them once upon the time they country was great, the gov’t use to give them $$$, a lot of services, free this and free that
But now everything is gone, they think the immigrants are the reason for causing all of this.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:09 PM

21 posts, read 157,393 times
After reading through these threads, here are some American thoughts on Canada after living in Canada this summer.

Canadians do pay higher taxes, but food costs are lower, energy costs are lower (hydroelectric), and everyone has healthcare. In Canada, yes, everything costs more, and with both currencies on par, this is obvious.

Many Canadians cross the border to shop. The law looks like this: You can claim up to $750 in goods without paying GST, but only with a 48 hour minimum stay in the US.

From my experience (owning an American boutique where lots of Canadians shop), Canadians are more moderate in spending habits.

As for forclosures, in America you can walk away from bad debt. You send your keys to the bank, and you're done. In Canada citizens there is not an option to walk away from a mortgage. The Canadian housing market is soft, but we're not going to see the Canadian economy crumble under a housing crises like we are in the US.

Canadians are more polite than Americans. I find people in general to be more helpful here, and aware of each other and the environment. Recycling is absolute in Canada. Not so in the US. Also, education is more affordable in Canada.

As for cashing out assets in the US and crossing the border, the laws have recently changed and my fellow Americans, YOU WILL BE TAXED, big time, if you relocate.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,750,941 times
Quote:
As for forclosures, in America you can walk away from bad debt. You send your keys to the bank, and you're done. In Canada citizens there is not an option to walk away from a mortgage.

Huh?

People default on mortgages in Canada all the time, leaving finacial institutions to try and recoup the outstanding balance through the sale of the property.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:32 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle38 View Post
After reading through these threads, here are some American thoughts on Canada after living in Canada this summer.

Canadians do pay higher taxes, but food costs are lower, energy costs are lower (hydroelectric), and everyone has healthcare. In Canada, yes, everything costs more, and with both currencies on par, this is obvious.

Many Canadians cross the border to shop. The law looks like this: You can claim up to $750 in goods without paying GST, but only with a 48 hour minimum stay in the US.

From my experience (owning an American boutique where lots of Canadians shop), Canadians are more moderate in spending habits.

As for forclosures, in America you can walk away from bad debt. You send your keys to the bank, and you're done. In Canada citizens there is not an option to walk away from a mortgage. The Canadian housing market is soft, but we're not going to see the Canadian economy crumble under a housing crises like we are in the US.

Canadians are more polite than Americans. I find people in general to be more helpful here, and aware of each other and the environment. Recycling is absolute in Canada. Not so in the US. Also, education is more affordable in Canada.

As for cashing out assets in the US and crossing the border, the laws have recently changed and my fellow Americans, YOU WILL BE TAXED, big time, if you relocate.
Please don't refer to your experiences in Vancouver as pertaining to all of Canada. Makes you sound like an Ontarian or something...

In Alberta for instance, food costs are much higher than the US (even apples can't be grown here on a commercial scale for instance), power costs are a lot higher than BC (no gov't subsidized hydro, almost no hydroelectricity at all in Alberta), and in Calgary we don't even have curbside recycling yet...

As for the housing market, lets wait a year or so before making judgement, prices here are dropping daily....

Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 PM

726 posts, read 2,269,620 times
Too many judgments are being made here. I think the OP is just scorned
I plan on living in Montreal some day. But I'm not gonna let one persons bad experiences and generalizations stop me, cause I'm an American.

Am I to believe ALL Canadians hate Americans ?? Oh plzzz (rolls eyes, way back into head)

Old 08-27-2008, 07:24 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveChick View Post
Too many judgments are being made here. I think the OP is just scorned
I plan on living in Montreal some day. But I'm not gonna let one persons bad experiences and generalizations stop me, cause I'm an American.

Am I to believe ALL Canadians hate Americans ?? Oh plzzz (rolls eyes, way back into head)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU - At least somebody sees through one bad apple.
As a Canadian let me welcome you to our country when you move. You will find people pleasant, courteous and helpful....unless we get an apple pip in our eye...lol.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,463,545 times
I would bet that a lot of it (for an American) is like most anywhere: if you go to a place, bring part of what you are but also embrace that place. Most legal immigrants to the United States who do that find welcome and friendship. Don't see why Canada would be any different. It's a fairly human thing.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 23,811 times
having worked in the auto industry for a couple years,I was able to meet several Americans all over Michigan. I am proud to say that they were very friendly! I am not a fan of George W. Bush at all but I do know that good people are simply that. It does not matter where we come from. We have no control over other people. the big problem is the way media show everyone to be hostile, in ahurry ,or mad at the world. Everyone I met was the same as me. Getting up everyday in hopes of making a living and getting home safe to my home. Common people, country policy does not show the people. T.V. only shows extreme versions. If you want to get the real goods work along side these great PEOPLE. I am a proud Canadian and I always will be but I am also willing to admit that having the United States of America next door helps make Canada a better. If you want to be hard on a country how about picking on one that we are at war against. We are side by side over seas. I say we try to learn from eachother and build a strong bond with a great respect for our quirks.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 31,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Check with the IRS, I've heard something about not paying taxes on the sale of a home anytime, but you can only do it once....So becareful because in later years you may want to sell a home worth alot more..and you will have to pay taxes...I'd check this out with the IRS to be sure....
I do believe the key word was homes meaning more than one and I take this as meaning they were rentals, and yes they are subject to the capital gain taxes if the money is not re-invested in a certain period of time, if it was a primary residence you only have to live in it for two years and would only have to pay taxes on anything over the first 500 thousand, under the current laws I do believe you can buy and sell every 2 years without paying the capital gains taxes as long as it is your primary residence, but do not quote me on the last statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada