Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 09:06 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Yes, John Brown did. He and his sons would knock on the door, and when it was opened, would attack with swords, hacking the householder, and his family if they could, down. It was (to me, anyway) a fascinating period of American history, and American legal history.

My thesis was that overlapping congressional legislation (e.g. the Missouri Compromise 1821, the Fugitive Slave Act 1809, and the Kansas-Nebraska Act 1854), as well as the US Constitution, and the Northwest Ordinance 1787, all were at odds with each other, and led to the conflict in Kansas.

My very best wishes to her, and I hope that she is successful. Fingers crossed!

It takes a special sort of person to do such things. My ex, a doctor, took me to her school, where we were able to look through window in the door to the lab where she dissected her first human. It looked like a quick-service morgue, with two dozen tables, all on a slant with drains at the lower end. To me, it was not pleasant, even with clean tables; to her, it was just another place where she had studied.

Yes. Back in the day, when my supervisor was urging me to go to Middlebury, it was one of only two schools in the world that certified UN simultaneous interpreters. The other was in Switzerland. That may have changed now, but the fact remains: Middlebury is one of the top language schools in the world. Coming out of there would have guaranteed me a job at the UN in New York.

Thanks for crushing my dreams at a good career, Mom and Dad.
It's a picturesque little town, too, like you stepped into a New England calendar photo.

I remember one of the activities was that they played volleyball against the other "countries".

And it isn't just for young adults. My daughter had two women in their forties in her Chinese class. One worked for the FBI, and the other's job required her to spend one week out of every month in Beijing. Neither of them had more than a few phrases when they came in, and at the end of the eight weeks, they could have a basic conversation.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:43 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Well goodness; how did I miss this one? I can use the excuse of being in transit for a couple of days and only wanting to jump onto wireless connection sporadically.

Chevy; your post awakens reminiscent memories of Jambo and I communicating about some of the topics of the day through PM's. Those topics were of course some of those still percolating along to this very day on here. I am indeed happy to hear that Fusion is still with us as I also thought his illness had gotten the better of him.

I have to say that MightyQueen is a very welcome addition to what I'll charitably call the repartee on here these days. Keeping it between the lines of propriety is increasingly difficult for me now as my bullcrap tolerance is minimal at best, being a confirmed curmudgeon with oak cluster.

Nice to hear from Bimbam again as well.

Nat, Zoisite, Netwit and yourself are always a welcome read for their reasoned input and tendency to calm my tendency for the knee jerk, ill thought out retort to some nonsensical offering from one of the usual's. My days as an 800 member Union Local President chairing those monthly stadium matches have left me little room for patience. These threads and this forum have no system akin to Robert's or Bourinot's Rules of order. whereby you can gavel any obvious and repetitive miscreants into a sullen silence.

As to golf, I too went into hiatus for the bulk of the pandemic and only golfed a few times while in Florida this winter. Paring a couple of holes in succession was cause for celebration and enough to keep me returning for more punishment with me actually buying a pitcher for the foursome due to managing to birdie (the only bird in a long while) a particularly nasty par five. Bogies and double bogies have become the norm now. So far, I've avoided the handi-cap flag on the cart but . .

We decided to sell our Florida home this winter so I expect my game is gonna suffer even more rapidly than those age related issues might be blamed. We both have reasonable health and still some remaining locations on our bucket list for winter travel so it was now or never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 02:15 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Chevy; your post awakens reminiscent memories of Jambo and I communicating about some of the topics of the day through PM's. Those topics were of course some of those still percolating along to this very day on here. I am indeed happy to hear that Fusion is still with us as I also thought his illness had gotten the better of him.
I'm also glad to hear about Fusion as well, as he and I swapped e-mail addresses, and almost met up once in Toronto when I was there. If he doesn't want to participate any more in this forum, that's fine; but I would like to keep in touch with him, even if it's nothing more than to swap Toronto stories.

As for Jambo, I wonder if we could or should ask a Mod to change his status to "Eternal Member," as I understand is done when a member has passed.

Quote:
As to golf, I too went into hiatus for the bulk of the pandemic and only golfed a few times while in Florida this winter. Paring a couple of holes in succession was cause for celebration and enough to keep me returning for more punishment with me actually buying a pitcher for the foursome due to managing to birdie (the only bird in a long while) a particularly nasty par five. Bogies and double bogies have become the norm now. So far, I've avoided the handi-cap flag on the cart but . .
Sounds about like my game, the last time I played--bogeys and double-bogeys. A round with a par or two is a treat; a round with a birdie is exceptional. But I've done it a few times. So it sounds like we would have a good game--we're both out of practice. If nothing else, we'd have a good conversation and a few beers.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 04-29-2022 at 02:43 AM..

Old 04-29-2022, 01:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well goodness; how did I miss this one? I can use the excuse of being in transit for a couple of days and only wanting to jump onto wireless connection sporadically.

I have to say that MightyQueen is a very welcome addition to what I'll charitably call the repartee on here these days. Keeping it between the lines of propriety is increasingly difficult for me now as my bullcrap tolerance is minimal at best, being a confirmed curmudgeon with oak cluster.

Nice to hear from Bimbam again as well.

Nat, Zoisite, Netwit and yourself are always a welcome read for their reasoned input and tendency to calm my tendency for the knee jerk, ill thought out retort to some nonsensical offering from one of the usual's. My days as an 800 member Union Local President chairing those monthly stadium matches have left me little room for patience. These threads and this forum have no system akin to Robert's or Bourinot's Rules of order. whereby you can gavel any obvious and repetitive miscreants into a sullen silence.

We decided to sell our Florida home this winter so I expect my game is gonna suffer even more rapidly than those age related issues might be blamed. We both have reasonable health and still some remaining locations on our bucket list for winter travel so it was now or never.
I hope the sale of your Florida home goes well. Mixing up your winter holiday spots sounds like a great idea.

Glad your curmudgeonly ways are confirmed! Best to embrace it. I'm still working on mine. I tried the other day, but I think I scared a child. Not good. I'll have to work on a more loveable curmudgeonly nature.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I hope the sale of your Florida home goes well. Mixing up your winter holiday spots sounds like a great idea.

Glad your curmudgeonly ways are confirmed! Best to embrace it. I'm still working on mine. I tried the other day, but I think I scared a child. Not good. I'll have to work on a more loveable curmudgeonly nature.
Train a puppy first. Then after you've done that successfully you can be a lovable curmudgeon with children without scaring them.

I wonder, does the term curmudgeon only apply to men, or can women be curmudgeons too? If curmudgeon is only used for men, what are curmudgeonly women called?

Old 04-29-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Train a puppy first. Then after you've done that successfully you can be a lovable curmudgeon with children without scaring them.

I wonder, does the term curmudgeon only apply to men, or can women be curmudgeons too? If curmudgeon is only used for men, what are curmudgeonly women called?

I like puppies.

Termagant is the answer to your question. I had to look it up. I've never heard the word before.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:14 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
I like puppies.

Termagant is the answer to your question. I had to look it up. I've never heard the word before.
I would have guessed it was "shrew".

Old 04-29-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would have guessed it was "shrew".
They're synonyms apparently, but shrew is better known because of Shakespeare, but outside of a play, I don't think I've ever head anyone use it.

However, termagant, sounds like a word that should resurrected Maybe it could replace " Karen ".

I say this as a curmudgeon in training.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:15 PM

44,347 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Hi, everyone. This is a good thread! Because it's an active chat, I decided to make it a Sticky. Because we mods are limited to the number of Sticky threads we may have in each forum, I found it necessary to unstick the previous chat thread. It is still here though. It's just not "stuck" to the top of the forum index.

Chat on!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
I like puppies.

Ha! Thanks Nat. I've heard that word before in the past but I didn't know what it meant then. I think I like termagant better than shrew because shrews are venomous and termagant makes me think of waterfowl.

I used to know an old long-married Scottish couple that were always bickering and nattering at each other (they loved it) and if the discussions got heated the husband used to tell the wife she was an old termagant and a battle-axe. I won't say here what she called him but it was worse than curmudgeon.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada