Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 10:01 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I just stumbled across this nice thread with so many interesting posters.

Many years ago when I was a teenager my parents made a trip from Germany to Canada.They travelled across all provinces and fell in love with Vancouver/BC and runner up Quebec.Once back home the big family talk started and it was pronounced that we all would immigrate to Vancouver/British Columbia/Canada,a long time dream of my father.As a teenager I was stunned,shocked but where father moved family follows was our family's saying.We arrived in Vancouver.At the immigration stand a young Canadian officer looked at us tired newcomers,smiled and said "Welcome to beautiful British Columbia." What I forgot to mention is that my father went for a whole year alone to Squamish where he lived in room and board with a German family.He found a job in Vancouver with an engineering company and the boss was also German and who knew than that a longlasting friendship was built.Years later we found out that mother was that guys dance partner in high school both were raised in Ostpreußen/East Prussia.In that year when father established a new home for us he made a big German/Canadian friends circle and when we all arrived in Vancouver people were there for us and welcomed us with open arms. Being at that time a teenager it was real tough to go to an English speaking school,making new friends,but it all worked out.It was in my early twentieth that I started to appreciate Canada and its vast beauty.I started to travel through most of the provinces and I loved it.I lived for years in British Columbia,being an avid hiker,cyclist,alpine skier and cross-country skier I had the time of my life.When a little tyke my father introduced me to Nature through his eyes and his heart.He taught me how to read animal prints, how to nurture nature.He used to be a part-time Förster/forester and all I learned from my father I passed on to our four children. I met my husband in Vancouver at a Sikh wedding and a year later we married in Ontario.I have been many times back in BC including to my fathers funeral and most recently my mothers funeral.All the memories came pouring back how father established our life in a new country we called Canada and now my own family is across Canada and I have reasons to travel this most beautiful place! I must mention every letter my mother wrote in the beginning started with how beautiful Vancouver is and how she can see the "Sleeping Princess" on a clear blue sky and in winter how she was gently covered in snow blanket.
Has anyone here heard the story about the sleeping princess in Vancouver ? https://jsca.bc.ca/2018/05/17/sleepi...ams-vancouver/

It seems I got carried away,but I am looking forward to visit this thread again!

I wish you all a happy,peaceful holiday and a Healthy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 01:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Hello everyone

I just stumbled across this nice thread with so many interesting posters.

Many years ago when I was a teenager my parents made a trip from Germany to Canada.They travelled across all provinces and fell in love with Vancouver/BC and runner up Quebec.Once back home the big family talk started and it was pronounced that we all would immigrate to Vancouver/British Columbia/Canada,a long time dream of my father.As a teenager I was stunned,shocked but where father moved family follows was our family's saying.We arrived in Vancouver.At the immigration stand a young Canadian officer looked at us tired newcomers,smiled and said "Welcome to beautiful British Columbia." What I forgot to mention is that my father went for a whole year alone to Squamish where he lived in room and board with a German family.He found a job in Vancouver with an engineering company and the boss was also German and who knew than that a longlasting friendship was built.Years later we found out that mother was that guys dance partner in high school both were raised in Ostpreußen/East Prussia.In that year when father established a new home for us he made a big German/Canadian friends circle and when we all arrived in Vancouver people were there for us and welcomed us with open arms. Being at that time a teenager it was real tough to go to an English speaking school,making new friends,but it all worked out.It was in my early twentieth that I started to appreciate Canada and its vast beauty.I started to travel through most of the provinces and I loved it.I lived for years in British Columbia,being an avid hiker,cyclist,alpine skier and cross-country skier I had the time of my life.When a little tyke my father introduced me to Nature through his eyes and his heart.He taught me how to read animal prints, how to nurture nature.He used to be a part-time Förster/forester and all I learned from my father I passed on to our four children. I met my husband in Vancouver at a Sikh wedding and a year later we married in Ontario.I have been many times back in BC including to my fathers funeral and most recently my mothers funeral.All the memories came pouring back how father established our life in a new country we called Canada and now my own family is across Canada and I have reasons to travel this most beautiful place! I must mention every letter my mother wrote in the beginning started with how beautiful Vancouver is and how she can see the "Sleeping Princess" on a clear blue sky and in winter how she was gently covered in snow blanket.
Has anyone here heard the story about the sleeping princess in Vancouver ? https://jsca.bc.ca/2018/05/17/sleepi...ams-vancouver/

It seems I got carried away,but I am looking forward to visit this thread again!

What a lovely story.

BC is beautiful, and I've always been grateful to live here.

As for the Sleeping Princess, I've heard of it, and of course have seen it...helps if you squint

Have a great holiday season!

Old 12-21-2022, 04:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I could use a good snowball fight. A lot of children live in the neighbourhood, but I'm afraid they would hammer me into submission.

It's beautiful though. Very quiet and peaceful out there. No mail deliveries today, and traffic, at least here in Yaletown, is almost non existent.

I feel for people that have to travel. Buses can have a hard time, especially on the slopes of the North Shore.

I'm good though. Everything I need, I can walk to.

Chilblains! I was first aware of the term from a Dickens novel...can't remember which one...maybe Little Dorrit?

However if you had asked me exactly what it was, I'd have to look it up.
Honestly if you don't have to leave home it is quite beautiful and as you said peaceful. Like a natural cleansing there is just something refreshing about it.

Yeah i haven't had a good snowball fight in years. Looks like I may get a chance this weekend as southern Ontario looks to be getting a pretty big one.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:17 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Holy cats! What other westerners are already tired of this cold snap?

It's going to be like -27C, -28C here in southern Alberta for the next few days. My car is covered in snow, and the snow doesn't stop. I've shovelled my driveway, and the public sidewalk, and cleared off my car twice since yesterday, and I'll have to do it again tomorrow because the @#$%& snow just doesn't stop!

Now I know why Canadian snowbirds leave for the winter. The older I get, the less I like winter.
Update: We're into Day Five of the -25C (or colder) cold snap, with one more day of it predicted. On Friday, it should go up to -10C. Break out the beach gear!

Seriously, it's been a pain. I've shovelled every day for the past five days, although I must thank my neighbour (who's about half my age) for helping me the last couple of days. Actually, he's done most of the work--"Jeez, Chevy, go on inside, I can take care of this." Wonderful guy, and I'd be happy to buy him a beer, except he doesn't drink. Any suggestions as to how I can say "thanks" otherwise?

And I found out today that my car battery is dead. The block heater has been plugged in since last Friday, so I assume the block is warm. I suspect that the cold killed the battery, in spite of the block heater. I was planning to go to the supermarket to get everything I need for over Christmas, but without a car, that's not going to happen. Thankfully, I could walk to the corner store three blocks away, and while it doesn't have everything I wanted from the supermarket, I could get the basics--bread, coffee, cream, and some sweets just because. But holy hannah! Was that walk cold!

I'll call a mechanic friend tomorrow, and see what he has to say. If he recommends a new battery (this one is original equipment, meaning it is about ten years old, as my car is a 2012), then I'll ask him for a jump and head off to get a new one.

Phew! First official day of winter, and already I'm sick of it.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:59 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post

...... I must mention every letter my mother wrote in the beginning started with how beautiful Vancouver is and how she can see the "Sleeping Princess" on a clear blue sky and in winter how she was gently covered in snow blanket.

Such a lovely tribute to Vancouver, Almrausch! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Here are two pictures together of the Sleeping Princess.

https://zh-cn.facebook.com/miss604/p...0472841257699/

Old 12-22-2022, 02:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

......... Wonderful guy, and I'd be happy to buy him a beer, except he doesn't drink. Any suggestions as to how I can say "thanks" otherwise? .........
Invite him over for pizza some day?

Old 12-22-2022, 07:31 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Such a lovely tribute to Vancouver, Almrausch! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Here are two pictures together of the Sleeping Princess.

https://zh-cn.facebook.com/miss604/p...0472841257699/

Thank you Zoisite and that is a great shot from the sleeping princess

Old 12-22-2022, 05:00 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
That is so cool! I never heard of the sleeping princess. There is so much more of Canada I hope to see.

Happy Solstice, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year from your resident long-time visitor (with continuing applications for extensions). It's been good to get to know so many of you through your words.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:25 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Thanks are long overdue for all your condolences. I meant to post sooner, but I keep running into the same stumbling block as I do with face-to-face condolences - I'm completely overwhelmed.

So thank you, to all of you. It is much appreciated. I hope you all have a very merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2022, 01:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Hope you are keeping well Netwit. Merry Christmas to you and to everyone else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada