Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 10:03 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This might give you a bit more background on what is going on in Ontario

So yeah - i've heard many a story of tenants getting eviction notices for non payment of rent, but it taking a year or longer for the case to go before the Landlord and tenant Board until they are finally evicted and forced out. So until then the tenant can reside in the house scott free - no rent plus as I said, trash the place. There are obviously legal remedies eventually....
Thanks, Fusion. I also took a few minutes today to consult Ontario's Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, S.O. 2006, c. 17, and together, your post and the Act itself confirmed that Ontario has set up an administrative tribunal to adjudicate landlord-tenant disputes.

I cannot understand why. These matters can be taken care of rather quickly in a court, and they do not require a trial of any kind--they are typically taken care of "in chambers," as we say.* When I've done them, they take between 10 and 20 minutes in the courtroom, tops. The longest part of the process is the preparation of the paperwork to be filed with the court, then the week or so that the rules of court say must transpire between the tenant being served with notice of the hearing (and the process server swearing an Affidavit of Execution as to the date). In the end, we end up with an eviction order that is also served on the tenant. Again, the process server swears an affidavit of execution that the order was served on such-and-such a date. Plus the time of day it was served, in the case of 24-hour evictions. Anyway, I've never known one of these to take more than four weeks, tops.

* Note that "chambers," as I'm using it, is likely different from what you imagine. Unlike TV and movies, "chambers" does not take place in a judge's office. It takes place in a courtroom, before a judge who is typically wearing a business suit, not robes; and there are any number of parties seeking orders. Such orders might include injunctions, protective orders, orders for a writ of mandamus (rare, but I've seen it), orders for substitutional service, and many more. Including, of course, eviction orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 02:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Thanks, Fusion. I also took a few minutes today to consult Ontario's Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, S.O. 2006, c. 17, and together, your post and the Act itself confirmed that Ontario has set up an administrative tribunal to adjudicate landlord-tenant disputes.

I cannot understand why. These matters can be taken care of rather quickly in a court, and they do not require a trial of any kind--they are typically taken care of "in chambers," as we say.* When I've done them, they take between 10 and 20 minutes in the courtroom, tops. The longest part of the process is the preparation of the paperwork to be filed with the court, then the week or so that the rules of court say must transpire between the tenant being served with notice of the hearing (and the process server swearing an Affidavit of Execution as to the date). In the end, we end up with an eviction order that is also served on the tenant. Again, the process server swears an affidavit of execution that the order was served on such-and-such a date. Plus the time of day it was served, in the case of 24-hour evictions. Anyway, I've never known one of these to take more than four weeks, tops.

* Note that "chambers," as I'm using it, is likely different from what you imagine. Unlike TV and movies, "chambers" does not take place in a judge's office. It takes place in a courtroom, before a judge who is typically wearing a business suit, not robes; and there are any number of parties seeking orders. Such orders might include injunctions, protective orders, orders for a writ of mandamus (rare, but I've seen it), orders for substitutional service, and many more. Including, of course, eviction orders.
I'm not a big fan of the way Ontario is doing things to be honest Chevy. I don't see it as tenant protection because it is protecting deadbeat tenants at a cost to society at large. In the same way I don't encourage deadbeat landlords either.

Additionally with the housing shortage as it is, it actually dissuades would be landlords from actually creating new housing for fear that they will be stuck with one of these clowns and that by the time the system deals with them - it is way too little too late.

Old 07-06-2023, 06:49 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not a big fan of the way Ontario is doing things to be honest Chevy. I don't see it as tenant protection because it is protecting deadbeat tenants at a cost to society at large. In the same way I don't encourage deadbeat landlords either.

Additionally with the housing shortage as it is, it actually dissuades would be landlords from actually creating new housing for fear that they will be stuck with one of these clowns and that by the time the system deals with them - it is way too little too late.
The rental shortage I think is caused by government inaction. The federal government subsidized construction of actual rental apartments (which here in Ontario at least are essentially no longer built by the private market) up to the 90s when Chrétien cancelled it. I think this coincided with the Harris government passing the responsibility of community housing onto the cities, which also isn’t getting built, instead non-profits are getting grants but not building at the same rate as they used to. We need to stop treating houses like investments and incentivize real long term rentals getting built. Any house bought as an investment property is not going to be a stable long term home for anyone. This puts a lot of pressure on families. I know there’s bad tenants who don’t pay rent, etc but I know enough people who bought second properties who complain about “deadbeat tenants” not immediately moving out when they try to sell their house, which by law the tenants are within their rights to stay, or things like that. Our economy in Canada is truly lacking diversity and as a result a bunch of people who have no business being landlords have gotten into it to make quick money. Like all business, there’s risk involved, and I don’t think it should be treated like some golden calf of industries where all the costs get passed onto the tenant no matter their ability to pay. There’s a multitude of insurance options for landlords but these small time “mom and pop” investors almost never think of that and instead try to gouge their tenants. Not everyone is like that, but people buying in the current market are like this almost always in my experience. The good landlords I’ve had bought 12, 15, 20 or more years ago and aren’t running on these razor thin margins.

Old 07-07-2023, 01:03 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
Personally I wouldn't get too excited about it. If I was to think of the #1 greatest thing about Canada, it would be the massive amount of land and low population.

Unfortunately it's just going to be a matter of time before Canada will be just another overpopulated polluted mess, like every other country.

Old 07-07-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The rental shortage I think is caused by government inaction. The federal government subsidized construction of actual rental apartments (which here in Ontario at least are essentially no longer built by the private market) up to the 90s when Chrétien cancelled it. I think this coincided with the Harris government passing the responsibility of community housing onto the cities, which also isn’t getting built, instead non-profits are getting grants but not building at the same rate as they used to. We need to stop treating houses like investments and incentivize real long term rentals getting built. Any house bought as an investment property is not going to be a stable long term home for anyone. This puts a lot of pressure on families. I know there’s bad tenants who don’t pay rent, etc but I know enough people who bought second properties who complain about “deadbeat tenants” not immediately moving out when they try to sell their house, which by law the tenants are within their rights to stay, or things like that. Our economy in Canada is truly lacking diversity and as a result a bunch of people who have no business being landlords have gotten into it to make quick money. Like all business, there’s risk involved, and I don’t think it should be treated like some golden calf of industries where all the costs get passed onto the tenant no matter their ability to pay. There’s a multitude of insurance options for landlords but these small time “mom and pop” investors almost never think of that and instead try to gouge their tenants. Not everyone is like that, but people buying in the current market are like this almost always in my experience. The good landlords I’ve had bought 12, 15, 20 or more years ago and aren’t running on these razor thin margins.
I agree that the government is the biggest factor in this. Housing needs to be managed with long term vision and the problem is, governments are either not thinking long term enough or get voted out before they can manage the problem on an ongoing basis.

On the landlord front - when they sell a house there isn't much a tenant can do afaik if their lease is about to expire. If the lease is still valid then the landlord can't terminate the lease agreement say mid way through. They can sell the house as long as the new owner agrees to take on the tenant and honour the lease. This happened with a tenant who lived in the house I bought. She vacated the property after I bought the house shortly after I took possession as her lease expired a month later. Now she could have stayed but I would have had the legal right to take her to the board and have the eviction executed but yes, she could have stayed around until it reached the board.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:38 AM

827 posts, read 865,036 times
Canadians don't have too many children. Not enough to keep the population growing. So, Canada is growing because it is very attractive for immigrants, which is a sign of a very good economy.

Congratulations for that, canadians!

40 million is a lot of people. But at a first look, this number alone shouldn't be concerning at all. Canada is a massive country with plenty of space. Even the most liveable area near the border with USA is huge and more than enough to accommodate 40 million, even 50 million or more. But the population is not widespread. It's too concentrated in a few large urban areas. I guess the only region with a good amount of small and medium-sized towns close to each other is between Windsor and Quebec City, but even there the population is hugely concentrated in the largest urban areas such as Toronto and Montreal. In the other regions it's even more drastic. If you leave Vancouver, Calgary, Saskatoon or Winnipeg for a few kilometers, the population density suddenly drops to nearly zero, with only a few really small towns every 50km or something like that.

So, Canada has plenty of land for everyone to live, but everyone naturally want to live in the large urban areas with more job opportunities. The empty places keep empty and the large cities start to feel overcrowded.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Canadians don't have too many children. Not enough to keep the population growing. So, Canada is growing because it is very attractive for immigrants, which is a sign of a very good economy.

Congratulations for that, canadians!

40 million is a lot of people. But at a first look, this number alone shouldn't be concerning at all. Canada is a massive country with plenty of space. Even the most liveable area near the border with USA is huge and more than enough to accommodate 40 million, even 50 million or more. But the population is not widespread. It's too concentrated in a few large urban areas. I guess the only region with a good amount of small and medium-sized towns close to each other is between Windsor and Quebec City, but even there the population is hugely concentrated in the largest urban areas such as Toronto and Montreal. In the other regions it's even more drastic. If you leave Vancouver, Calgary, Saskatoon or Winnipeg for a few kilometers, the population density suddenly drops to nearly zero, with only a few really small towns every 50km or something like that.

So, Canada has plenty of land for everyone to live, but everyone naturally want to live in the large urban areas with more job opportunities. The empty places keep empty and the large cities start to feel overcrowded.
Great post and a very good summary!

tudo de bom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada