Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 07:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Seems no one realized the number shown is only a theoretical number, displaying whatever the programmers put in.
Could be wrong by quite a bit. That's why census' are held.

Same with World-O-Meter. Just a theory.

Some day in the next 10-20 years the world population will begin to shrink. No one knows exactly when, and no one will be able to announce the day.
But once it starts declining, we are told, it will never stop. Not ever, as far as anyone alive in the next couple hundred years would be concerned.......... Kind of hard to wrap your mind around that.
The problem with going too far into the future is that we are looking at the unknown applying projections based on what we know now. That is flawed because any number of change events will happen be they natural, technological, biological etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 08:25 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's been my experience that many city people who are addicted to an excess of stimulation to give them a buzz tend to think of more country or rural areas as places to go to so they can produce lots of noise pollution which is frowned on and restricted in cities. They come for what they think is the freedom of being loud and intrusive with their toys and discover that most everyone else that was there before them came for the peace and quiet and appreciation of nature.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but if I recall correctly Botti originally came to Canada from an Asian country that was/is terribly overpopulated, crowded in infrastructure and polluted. That country's huge footprint was what he was accustomed to. I think he was overwhelmed and uncomprehending about a country like Canada that is so open, clean and uncrowded with so much room to breathe. Kind of like the opposite of claustrophobia, I think he suffered somewhat from a form of agoraphobia and was more comfortable by being hemmed in by lots of people and infrastructure. Not everyone can cope with or feel safe in big empty natural spaces or else surrounded by billions of trees and see only a modicum of people and unpredictable wildlife.

I think so too. I think Botti was a contrarian by nature but I found him amusing. Plus I get that there's a culture shock when you move to another country. It's well-put that it is the opposite of claustrophobia.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:06 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
It’s a cool milestone, though I don’t personally hold any strong feelings towards it. Canada obviously has a ton of land, though as pointed out, a sudden jump in population can create a lot of problems if not approached correctly.

Has Botticelli passed away? If I remember correctly, he’s from mainland China and originally went to LA to study, before settling in Canada.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:30 PM

33,526 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
I'm old.

You must be really old
Yup, I'm older than dirt!

Old 06-18-2023, 09:44 PM

33,526 posts, read 37,125,817 times
BC. seems to be leading the way and I'm not happy about it. Our traffic is getting horrendous. There are condos going up by the dozens in Greater Victoria. I'm a small town boy at heart. I think many baby boomers have decided to get away from the cold and snow and move to the warmest place in Canada, Vancouver Island.

The population of the Greater Victoria area grew by eight per cent, while the population of the Courtenay area further north on Vancouver Island increased by 9.2 per cent. Langford in the Greater Victoria area, and Tofino are the fastest growing municipalities on Vancouver Island, with respective growth rates at 32 per cent and 28 per cent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rior-1.6344994

Old 06-18-2023, 10:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

Has Botticelli passed away? If I remember correctly, he’s from mainland China and originally went to LA to study, before settling in Canada.
The last I spoke to him he was in France and hospitalized with Cancer. Unfortunately I heard nothing further from him and he stopped posting at that time as well.

I met him once and he was actually a different persona than the one here. Gentle and a gentleman he left a mark on me and it saddens me that he is likely no longer with us.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The population of Canada the year I was born. 11,506,655
Wow! Bet you're glad you're still here!

I know the older I get, the more I think how lucky I am.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:06 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
We are actually growing fast. Especially so for a western country and the fastest growing in the G7.

https://www.waterlooedc.ca/blog/cana...g-country-2021
The way things are now I don't think the growth is too fast for the second largest country in the world by area. Canada still has lots of space and it can afford to grow as fast as suits it as long as it has the assurance of enough commensurate resources to support the growth and still have plenty of agricultural, industrial and wild space.

In all those other G7 countries where fertility rates are declining the countries are becoming smaller in livable area, the natural resources and wild space are declining and the people are getting smart and are deliberately, voluntarily decreasing their birth rates. Whatever growth that's currently happening in any of them now is due mainly to new immigrant and refugee families coming to them from over-burdened countries that people are rightly desperate to get away from.

StatsCan's hopeful projections of 50 to 56 million population by 2050 in Canada - I don't think that's going to happen if climate change has any say in the matter with its consequent droughts, floods, wildfires, extreme temperature changes back and forth every year.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:47 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow, that is amazing! Late BF said he remembered the population being 20 million.
We were 20 million in 1967. It was celebrated in the song written for Canada's centennial in 1967. We had to learn it at school that year:

CA-NA-DA
(One little two little three Canadians)
We love thee
(Now we are twenty million)
CA-NA-DA
(Four little five little six little Provinces)
Proud and free
(Now we are ten and the Territories sea to sea)

Emphasis added by me. More about the song, and a complete set of lyrics, at the Wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_(song)

Old 06-19-2023, 03:46 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think the concerns about housing that have been brought up are entirely valid as they relate to population growth. I moved from a big city to smaller one because I couldn't afford to buy a home in Toronto. It was not by choice, i'm an urbanite by nature and would have preferred to buy a house in T.O.

My point is, the housing affordability crisis is forcing people to relocate to smaller cities and towns and more rural areas that are more affordable. Additionally, technology and a cultural change due to the pandemic makes a sizable enough percentage of the population able to work remotely and thus they are not as tied down to geographic location.

I feel bad for the individuals in smaller communities who are being gentrified from their own communities by wealthier out of towners. It used to be more prevalent that gentrification would happen within a city or urban area, but we are now in a time where it is happening across larger distances and different parts of the country.

This is a national problem that requires national solutions and i'm not seeing anything happening that inspires me to think anyone is really taking this by the horns in any meaningful way.
It’s really out of control in the East Coast right now with retired people from Ontario buying all the real estate and jacking up the prices way out of local incomes, plus putting additional pressure on an already strained healthcare system. Southern Ontario too, the problem isn’t just Toronto. Everywhere between Windsor and Ottawa there’s basically nothing for sale under 500k and even to afford that on the low end you’d need to earn north of 100k a year to get approved for the mortgage. Young people and new immigrants (unless they have bags full of cash) are getting screwed. I think the issue is the need to build like crazy, but that’s of course unpopular among existing homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada