Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 07:09 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
We were 20 million in 1967. It was celebrated in the song written for Canada's centennial in 1967. We had to learn it at school that year:

CA-NA-DA
(One little two little three Canadians)
We love thee
(Now we are twenty million)
CA-NA-DA
(Four little five little six little Provinces)
Proud and free
(Now we are ten and the Territories sea to sea)

Emphasis added by me. More about the song, and a complete set of lyrics, at the Wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_(song)
Cute! Yes, he was born in '51 so he would have been 16 then.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:59 AM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307
Seems no one realized the number shown is only a theoretical number, displaying whatever the programmers put in.
Could be wrong by quite a bit. That's why census' are held.

Same with World-O-Meter. Just a theory.

Some day in the next 10-20 years the world population will begin to shrink. No one knows exactly when, and no one will be able to announce the day.
But once it starts declining, we are told, it will never stop. Not ever, as far as anyone alive in the next couple hundred years would be concerned.......... Kind of hard to wrap your mind around that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The problem with going too far into the future is that we are looking at the unknown applying projections based on what we know now. That is flawed because any number of change events will happen be they natural, technological, biological etc.
All true. Can't argue a bit.
But the Total Fertility Rate has never done anything in history except go down. Everywhere. For about 100 years. Now we are approaching the inflection point of 2.1

It's no mystery why. Researchers have long ago identified the driving factor - the emancipation of women. Give women the choice and freedom of education and they will not have as many children.

No one yet has discovered any event or government action that will make the TFR rise. They have tried in many countries, but nothing has been successful. It may wiggle a little bit, but TFR remains below 2.1, which is replacement level.

Canada and The US are expected to do well for many decades because of the immigrants they attract. Some countries are just outright doomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 08:03 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I was trying not to be the grump who says, "too many people."

I remember Botticelli wanting to fill in all the empty spaces with people.

Seriously, 40 million is not that bad but in terms of where I live, for my taste, it's getting too crowded. I dislike the quads, the snowmobiles, and the target shooting that has increased enormously over the past few years. A lot of city people have moved to my area and it seems they all want noisy things.
I guess it depends on which city the people come from, and which small community they go to.

I, as you know, live in Vancouver. Most in Vancouver appreciate nature, and treasure the access to peace and quiet which is nearby and in the city limits. It's rare that on the beaches you hear load music for instance. For recreation people walk, bike, sail, fish, play tennis, golf etc.

I just spent four days in a small southern Ontario town. Peace was easy to find, and I'm sure people do a lot of the things I listed above, but they also all seemed to have big toys, like noisy motorboats, off road ATV's, and lawnmowers you ride on. Things people in cities usually don't own. Sailboats are more common in Vancouver than speedboats.

Now that I'm back in Toronto for a few days, the contrast to Vancouver is stark, and can see that IMO at least for Torontonians, you statement about wanting noisy things, rings truer than someone from laid back Vancouver.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:06 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
We were 20 million in 1967. It was celebrated in the song written for Canada's centennial in 1967. We had to learn it at school that year:

CA-NA-DA
(One little two little three Canadians)
We love thee
(Now we are twenty million)
CA-NA-DA
(Four little five little six little Provinces)
Proud and free
(Now we are ten and the Territories sea to sea)

Emphasis added by me. More about the song, and a complete set of lyrics, at the Wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_(song)
I remember it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4LZB5oarA

Old 06-19-2023, 11:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
But the Total Fertility Rate has never done anything in history except go down. Everywhere. For about 100 years. Now we are approaching the inflection point of 2.1

It's no mystery why. Researchers have long ago identified the driving factor - the emancipation of women. Give women the choice and freedom of education and they will not have as many children.

No one yet has discovered any event or government action that will make the TFR rise. They have tried in many countries, but nothing has been successful. It may wiggle a little bit, but TFR remains below 2.1, which is replacement level.

Canada and The US are expected to do well for many decades because of the immigrants they attract. Some countries are just outright doomed!
Oh, happy, happy day! No countries are doomed. They are responding as they should be responding.

The above information that you posted is some of the best news possible for the good health of the planet and humanity.

Thank goodness for the emancipation and education of women. Thank goodness for intelligent women taking a stand. What a blessing it will be for the earth and for all of humanity when all women in all countries in the world have received good education and taken complete control of their bodies and destinies.

What a great gift to all of humanity when all women have ceased to be treated as though they're worth nothing more than to be held back as feather-brained but physically productive little brood mares put on earth to breed devolving offspring on for the pleasures of thoughtless men with no foresight.

What great news that the earth's total fertility rate has reached a point where it remains below replacement level. Hopefully it won't take too many years for the world's population to get back to the approximate level of 2 billion as it was only 100 years ago.

Hopefully it won't take the earth too much longer after that to regain its equilibrium while recovering from all its illnesses incurred during the near disastrous rampant human population explosion. Hopefully all women will forever more make sure that it never has the opportunity to explode again.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-19-2023 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-19-2023, 11:44 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
Hopefully Canada can continue to be a world leader for freedoms and multicultural peace as it’s population grows. I agree Zoisite it’s good news that people around the world are getting access to contraception and women’s rights are advancing. I think the fear is a lack of support for the elderly that might come from a sudden drop in population. We also need to keep in mind here in Canada that attracting the best and brightest from all over the world here leads to a brain drain in other parts of the world. The world community needs to integrate better I think in order to come up with solutions to this challenge ahead

Old 06-19-2023, 03:07 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
*snip*
What great news that the earth's total fertility rate has reached a point where it remains below replacement level. Hopefully it won't take too many years for the world's population to get back to the approximate level of 2 billion as it was only 100 years ago.
*snip*
Population in Africa is a different story and I think wars, droughts and poverty there will continue to result in mass migration. I’m not sure how much climate change will add to the problems.

Quote:
The current fertility rate for Africa in 2023 is 4.155 births per woman
https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...%20from%202021.

Quote:
Why are birth rates so high in five African countries?

The major factors driving population growth in these countries include low contraceptive use, high adolescent fertility rates and a prevalence of polygamous marriages. There's also the low education status of women, low to poor investment in children's education, and factors related to religion and ideas.

The use of modern contraceptives is generally low across sub-Saharan Africa. The overall prevalence is 22%. In the Democratic Republic of Congo, however, the uptake of short-acting contraceptives is at 8.1%. In Nigeria, it is at 10.5%. The uptake in Ethiopia is 25%, in Tanzania it's 27.1% and in Egypt 43%.
https://phys.org/news/2022-11-billio...us%20marriages.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:12 PM

33,528 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Construction everywhere here. Had to go to the drug store today, usually a 10 minute trip, took over a hour.

https://www.vancouvernewcondos.com/c...ondo-projects/

Old 06-20-2023, 05:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The way things are now I don't think the growth is too fast for the second largest country in the world by area. Canada still has lots of space and it can afford to grow as fast as suits it as long as it has the assurance of enough commensurate resources to support the growth and still have plenty of agricultural, industrial and wild space.

In all those other G7 countries where fertility rates are declining the countries are becoming smaller in livable area, the natural resources and wild space are declining and the people are getting smart and are deliberately, voluntarily decreasing their birth rates. Whatever growth that's currently happening in any of them now is due mainly to new immigrant and refugee families coming to them from over-burdened countries that people are rightly desperate to get away from.

StatsCan's hopeful projections of 50 to 56 million population by 2050 in Canada - I don't think that's going to happen if climate change has any say in the matter with its consequent droughts, floods, wildfires, extreme temperature changes back and forth every year.

I think we need to focus our resources and energies on taking care of our housing affordability crisis. Everyday people are really really struggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It’s really out of control in the East Coast right now with retired people from Ontario buying all the real estate and jacking up the prices way out of local incomes, plus putting additional pressure on an already strained healthcare system. Southern Ontario too, the problem isn’t just Toronto. Everywhere between Windsor and Ottawa there’s basically nothing for sale under 500k and even to afford that on the low end you’d need to earn north of 100k a year to get approved for the mortgage. Young people and new immigrants (unless they have bags full of cash) are getting screwed. I think the issue is the need to build like crazy, but that’s of course unpopular among existing homeowners.
This is why I was saying this is a national problem requiring national solutions. We aren't behaving like this and yes, I feel mostly bad for young people native and newcomer alike. Housing becomes way out of reach for people in one region will impact another as you stated. That said, I think for Windsor you can get decent for under 500K. If you are ok with an older home - even 250 to 350 K

Last edited by fusion2; 06-20-2023 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-20-2023, 05:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

I'm not sure this is bad. The world is what 8 billion people now. There's mooore than enough of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada