Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 04:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,580,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh crap, I thought I was on P&OC! LMAO.
We're the same age.

I walked into my local pub the. other day for my weekly pub day with friends. Apparently I was staring right a their table as I was looking for a table that would hold our group. When they finally waved and shouted I woke up and saw them.

I then asked why everyone was there early. " We're not early, you're late ". Ya, I even got the time wrong..even though it's the same every week!!

So thinking one is one forum, and not the other, is nothing!!

Enjoy your trip back to Canadaland!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 05:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,341,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
When you used the word “malicious” it implied that being speculated as gay was something evil and harmful. I’m not Canadian, I don’t follow Trudeau’s personal life but something about his seemingly open and relaxed demeanor tells me he’s probably someone very comfortable with his sexuality and fairly open-minded. He may very well be straight, but people who are very secure with themselves and their sexuality would not be offended nor see themselves as “victim” if the question about their sexual orientation was raised. Only those who are either in the closet, see LGBTQ as something disgraceful and negative, and extremely bigoted people would freak out over such “speculation”.

I agree people shouldn’t gossip and a public figure’s private life is no one’s business, but he’s a fairly attractive young man with a lot of power, charisma and high profile, people are going to pay attention/be curious and form their opinions, regardless how high our moral sense and self discipline are.

I’m part French, I remember when Francois Mitterrand died his love child with his mistress suddenly appeared in the public along with Mitterand’s wife and sons at his funeral. The French public mostly shrugged: “et alors?”
Meanwhile the Americans went nuts over Clinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky, spending so much of taxpayers’ $ on the investigations and such.-just an example why I failed to see why the “malicious” nor “victim” remarks.
I am the one who first used the term "schadenfreude," a German word which has made it's way into English as well, because it describes the malicious joy some people take in the misfortunes of others. I personally, did not read that "tone" in your post, but i think you missed the tone in the other thread in which the poster you were replying to certainly had that tone.

I havve no problem with people making jokes rooted in humour but a broken family is a sad story. And it is hard to be talked about and have to keep your mouth shut because of your position, or because there would be no end ever to other questions if you ever answered anyone truthfully.

What's sad about it is when schadenfreude people make political hay from a broken family. I object strongly to that.

It's not about whether Trudeau is gay or not gay. Canadians really don't care.

As for Mitterand, he had a nickname in France relating to his ever available member. I can't remember exactly what the term was.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:01 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,540,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
*snip*
He just took his son to see Barbie. Looks like a good dad who loves his son. In this twisted world, we live in now though, some will take it as some sort of signaling nonsense instead of for what it is - a Dad spending quality time with his son.

https://people.com/justin-trudeau-so...-movie-7570346

This to me is a far better role model and person of character then someone who is charged how many felonies.
‘So glad I’m not Canadian,’ Piers Morgan mocks Justin Trudeau after PM shares photo with his son at the ‘Barbie’ movie

Quote:
English broadcaster and political gadfly Piers Morgan is feeling the wrath of Canadians after he took a shot at Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.
Quote:
Many Canadians and others quickly came to the prime minister’s defense, including politicians from various parties.
Quote:
“How DARE a father want to share a happy moment with his child on the first weekend since he just got separated from his wife,” one X user quipped. “Imagine being so utterly insecure in your masculinity that you are threatened by a colour,” another wrote.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:12 PM

^^Just wow.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 578,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I am the one who first used the term "schadenfreude," a German word which has made it's way into English as well, because it describes the malicious joy some people take in the misfortunes of others. I personally, did not read that "tone" in your post, but i think you missed the tone in the other thread in which the poster you were replying to certainly had that tone.

I havve no problem with people making jokes rooted in humour but a broken family is a sad story. And it is hard to be talked about and have to keep your mouth shut because of your position, or because there would be no end ever to other questions if you ever answered anyone truthfully.

What's sad about it is when schadenfreude people make political hay from a broken family. I object strongly to that.

It's not about whether Trudeau is gay or not gay. Canadians really don't care.

As for Mitterand, he had a nickname in France relating to his ever available member. I can't remember exactly what the term was.
A few things to clarify:

1: I was responding to the poster above me with a Z name (apologize for not catching her name.) whose post read to me a bit overtly serious with the expression “malicious rumors”.-this is the only reason I quoted the “malicious” comment.

2: I didn’t catch your post, my comment wasn’t referring your post.

3: I would NEVER make fun of someone, celebrity or not, with their sexual orientation nor their marriage status. Appreciate you noticed I wasn’t elated from mocking or implying Trudeau’s private life.

4: I’m not aware of any of the rumors nor the gossip about Trudeau’s personal life (I don’t read many online commentaries and I don’t watch much talk shows.) apparently I didn’t follow him closely. I also never posted in the so-called “P & OC” thread.

5: lastly, please see bolded, what thread? This is my very first time in Canadian sub-forum and the first time I participated in Trudeau discussion. Did you mean page 1 in this thread? Did I miss something? I could be very dense with internet secret handshake and the dynamics between long time posters.

Kudos for the Canadians for not caring about Trudeau’s orientation.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
A few things to clarify:

1: I was responding to the poster above me with a Z name (apologize for not catching her name.) whose post read to me a bit overtly serious with the expression “malicious rumors”.-this is the only reason I quoted the “malicious” comment.

2: I didn’t catch your post, my comment wasn’t referring your post.

3: I would NEVER make fun of someone, celebrity or not, with their sexual orientation nor their marriage status. Appreciate you noticed I wasn’t elated from mocking or implying Trudeau’s private life.

4: I’m not aware of any of the rumors nor the gossip about Trudeau’s personal life (I don’t read many online commentaries and I don’t watch much talk shows.) apparently I didn’t follow him closely. I also never posted in the so-called “P & OC” thread.

5: lastly, please see bolded, what thread? This is my very first time in Canadian sub-forum and the first time I participated in Trudeau discussion. Did you mean page 1 in this thread? Did I miss something? I could be very dense with internet secret handshake and the dynamics between long time posters.

Kudos for the Canadians for not caring about Trudeau’s orientation.
Sorry, it was this thread by Marigodqu (sp?). I didn't read his post as sympathetic? not sure what the right word is. I figured he was going to go there, a la Piers Morganesque. Most of the posts against Trudeau seem to do that.

I had used "schadenfreude" in Elina's thread, Trudeau separating from wife, or something like that, which this thread followed on the heels of. There were really dumb comments there, which is why, no doubt, I thought Marigodque (sp?) was following along the same lines.

I know you weren't referring to my post but I don't recall Zoisite referring specifically to you either so my intent was to clarify her use of "malicious." I seem instead to have confused everything further.

My apologies.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Sorry, it was this thread by Marigodqu (sp?). I didn't read his post as sympathetic? not sure what the right word is. I figured he was going to go there, a la Piers Morganesque. Most of the posts against Trudeau seem to do that.

I had used "schadenfreude" in Elina's thread, Trudeau separating from wife, or something like that, which this thread followed on the heels of. There were really dumb comments there, which is why, no doubt, I thought Marigodque (sp?) was following along the same lines.

I know you weren't referring to my post but I don't recall Zoisite referring specifically to you either so my intent was to clarify her use of "malicious." I seem instead to have confused everything further.

My apologies.
Completely understood now that you mentioned the previous thread.-I never read it. I never came to Canada subforum until today.

Now it made more sense, to me, with the “malicious rumors” comment. I was kind of ??????.

I generally like Justin Trudeau.

Appreciate your apologies and clarification.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,901,654 times
Quote:
When you used the word “malicious” it implied that being speculated as gay was something evil and harmful. I’m not Canadian, I don’t follow Trudeau’s personal life but something about his seemingly open and relaxed demeanor tells me he’s probably someone very comfortable with his sexuality and fairly open-minded. He may very well be straight, but people who are very secure with themselves and their sexuality would not be offended nor see themselves as “victim” if the question about their sexual orientation was raised. Only those who are either in the closet, see LGBTQ as something disgraceful and negative, and extremely bigoted people would freak out over such “speculation”.

I agree people shouldn’t gossip and a public figure’s private life is no one’s business, but he’s a fairly attractive young man with a lot of power, charisma and high profile, people are going to pay attention/be curious and form their opinions, regardless how high our moral sense and self discipline are.

I’m part French, I remember when Francois Mitterrand died his love child with his mistress suddenly appeared in the public along with Mitterand’s wife and sons at his funeral. The French public mostly shrugged: “et alors?”
Meanwhile the Americans went nuts over Clinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky, spending so much of taxpayers’ $ on the investigations and such.-just an example why I failed to see why the “malicious” nor “victim” remarks.
I am gay male and have never found the appeal of wondering if a guy who for all we know of as being straight, may be secretly gay and then swirl speculation and gossip around about it. Not you specifically but I can see why straight people would find this behaviour peculiar coming from gay men wondering aloud about this. I know it is to some harmless speculation and something hot to think about, but I think Zoisite does raise a good point in that we do have individuals who would not take this harmlessly. Now sure, you could say they are fools themselves but this is really the world we are living in. It is not just in North America either, increasing this is occurring in Europe.

I mean, I consider Trudeau an ally of the LGBTQ community. He is a very strong advocate for it but he is for many other groups in the country - it does not mean he is LGBTQ. I just dont think we should be careless about things like this in light of what is going on around us. It is not productive and the man is going through a lot so maybe just give him and his family space. He did state in his insta post that he would appreciate the privacy for himself and family.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

I consider Trudeau an ally of the LGBTQ community. He is a very strong advocate for it but he is for many other groups in the country - .
Agree.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:30 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
It’s not even in the same universe. I read a thread started there a few days ago that claimed that the record breaking temperatures in Europe were a media hoax. Poster after poster swallowed that and bashed the media. It obviously never even occurred to the twits that Europeans are allowed to own thermometers and don’t need to depend on the media to find out what the temperature is.
I sometimes wonder if that forum is some kind of experiment.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada