Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 12:35 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times

Advertisements

I’m still hoping Trudeau resigns next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 05:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It’s possible I have a room temperature IQ since it’s never been tested. Although I’m more an NDP guy, I’ll vote for a Liberal candidate in the next federal election if the polls are favouring the conservatives. Don’t want to see Pollievre get in. He’ll be less hated in Alberta and rural Southern Ontario than Trudeau but policy wise I just can’t support someone who wants to get rid of the carbon tax.
This is one of the issues with our core right and left parties moving further away from the centre from one another, it becomes more difficult to vote. I was actually considering P.P because of integrity issues with Trudeau - yet the more I see of P.P - the more i'm becoming repelled, particularly when it comes to matters of social policy.

I also know that a vote for NDP will likely just increase the chances of a Conservative minority or even possibly a majority. A Con minority wouldn't be horrible, but an emboldened P.P majority makes me very nervous. I almost think at this point the NDP and Liberals should just unite. I mean what is the real distinction between them.

Ontario is a big example of the potential danger to those of us who swing more to the left than to the right - in that the last two elections, even though the left of centre parties had the majority - we are actually in a Conservative majority because of NDP/Liberal schisms. Now it should not be shocking to anyone that Doug Ford is using cronyism to the max and lining his friends pockets, for pretty much everything he is doing. - and i'm sure the is no kickbacks to such a man of integrity as Doug Ford

Federally - the Conservatives would have a very uphill battle against a combine NDP/Liberal force. Essentially they are operating as one now. I'm under no delusion that Singh loves Trudeau - but It would be a snowy day in July before Singh would probably bring down a Liberal minority at this point with PP in the background of that being the big smiling winner.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:03 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is one of the issues with our core right and left parties moving further away from the centre from one another, it becomes more difficult to vote.
Well, not difficult here in southern Alberta, which has been Conservative since forever. Of course, I have a choice of candidates--usually between five or six of them--when I get in the voting booth, but I have said before that in a federal election, southern Albertans would vote for the tumbleweed rolling down Third Avenue before they would vote Liberal or NDP or anything but Conservative.

Quote:
Federally - the Conservatives would have a very uphill battle against a combine NDP/Liberal force. Essentially they are operating as one now. I'm under no delusion that Singh loves Trudeau - but It would be a snowy day in July before Singh would probably bring down a Liberal minority at this point with PP in the background of that being the big smiling winner.
On this, we certainly agree. I'm sure that both Singh and Trudeau, and many Canadians, are a little worried about what is waiting in the wings if the Liberals and NDP parted ways. I don't know enough about PP and his policies to comment, but if they include an American-style conservative "Let's return to the 1950s" platform, then no thank you.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, not difficult here in southern Alberta, which has been Conservative since forever. Of course, I have a choice of candidates--usually between five or six of them--when I get in the voting booth, but I have said before that in a federal election, southern Albertans would vote for the tumbleweed rolling down Third Avenue before they would vote Liberal or NDP or anything but Conservative.
Fair enough Chevy and I did qualify it with Ontario. That said, there are probably some ridings in and around Calgary and Edmonton where this would apply on the Alberta front!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
On this, we certainly agree. I'm sure that both Singh and Trudeau, and many Canadians, are a little worried about what is waiting in the wings if the Liberals and NDP parted ways. I don't know enough about PP and his policies to comment, but if they include an American-style conservative "Let's return to the 1950s" platform, then no thank you.
Not in your face Desantis style but just little signals. He took a picture with his wife and guy with a shirt at Stampede that was pretty offensive and condescending to a minority group. He backtracked saying he didn't approve of the message, but its like c'mon you didn't see that before the pic - it was like right in front of you. I reserve final judgement.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:05 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Fair enough Chevy and I did qualify it with Ontario. That said, there are probably some ridings in and around Calgary and Edmonton where this would apply on the Alberta front!?
Hard to say. I've lived in both Calgary and Edmonton, and while Edmonton does skew a little more liberal (not the party; rather, the philosophy) than Calgary, it's not by much. Not as much as is made of it, anyway.

What you (generic "you," not you personally, Fusion) need to look at are the smaller communities: Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Grande Prairie, and similar. What way do they lean, and just as importantly, why? Rhetorical question, I don't expect that anybody could answer that one.

Regardless, there are many Albertans who are disgruntled with the fact that time is passing; and in some cases, passing them by. Privately-run liquor stores that can be open until midnight seven days a week? Pride celebrations and parades and rainbow crosswalks? Abortion on demand? Declining attendance at mainstream Christian churches? Horrors! Bring out the fainting couch. Meh. Those of us who did not originally come from Alberta know that "change" is a single word that means "time is passing."

Quote:
Not in your face Desantis style but just little signals. He took a picture with his wife and guy with a shirt at Stampede that was pretty offensive and condescending to a minority group. He backtracked saying he didn't approve of the message, but its like c'mon you didn't see that before the pic - it was like right in front of you. I reserve final judgement.
And that's fair; you can certainly do that. Again, I don't know enough to comment, not having seen the photo in question; or if I have, not remembering it.

At any rate, I'd suggest that most (not all) Albertans have little patience or support for intolerance towards minorities. It surprises many that we have plenty of visible and not-so-visible minorities present here, and everybody gets along. We're not the mishmash that Toronto is, to be sure, but the idea that Alberta is some kind of 1950s white bread Christian WASP wonderland is just not true.

Fun Fact: Raymond, Alberta, is about 95% Mormon. It is also the home of a Buddhist temple.

Old 08-11-2023, 06:35 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Is all this still about Trudeau personal life?

Old 08-11-2023, 09:54 AM

Good point - the discussion veered...

Well now people are giving Trudeau a hard time because he took his daughter to see Oppenheimer. Pretty lame if you ask me!

Old 08-11-2023, 10:11 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:

Well now people are giving Trudeau a hard time because he took his daughter to see Oppenheimer. Pretty lame if you ask me!
Heck, any excuse will do. Here’s an old P&OC thread criticizing Trudeau because of his eyebrows:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...trudeau-2.html

Old 08-11-2023, 11:05 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:

Haven’t seen it yet, but the lead actor who I forget is name is an excellent actor in the things I’ve seen him in and Christopher Nolan is one of the best directors of the 2000s for sure. How old is Trudeau’s daughter that people are passing judgement? I figure it would be fairly tame content although not necessarily the most exciting movie for a younger kid

Old 08-11-2023, 11:32 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I don’t care about his sexuality one bit.
I do care about his policies though.
I didn’t much appreciate the way he blames Americans for the thoughts and beliefs of their Muslim population.

This guy is a tyrant and that’s ok if that’s what Canadians want.

A good portion of our family lives in Canada.
The wife and I have financial holdings there.
As a person who sympathized with the truckers I could have easily had my holdings frozen and not been allowed to visit family.

Once again,
He is not a good leader when it comes to unifying, but hey if that is the kind of leadership you want who am I to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada