Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 10:46 AM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
[][/b]QUOTE]

What's new with Fentanyl is that it is being cut with all kinds of other stuff. 82% of deaths are due to non-pharmaceutical fentanyl. https://health-infobase.canada.ca/su...ds-stimulants/

Of all accidental apparent opioid toxicity deaths so far in 2023 (January – September), 82% involved fentanyl. This percentage has increased by 44% since 2016 when national surveillance began but appears to have stabilized in recent years.
Of all accidental apparent opioid toxicity deaths so far in 2023 (January – September), 82% involved opioids that were only non-pharmaceuticalFootnote7Footnote
No that is not new. Drugs have always been cut with other things. Infact cocaine and heroin were being cut with fentanyl which is what lead to a massive spike in overdoses across the country. Fentanyl itself is very deadly. I think your misunderstanding what you're reading there. That article backs up what I was saying.

Quote:
I'm getting the impression that you are interpreting "self-medicating" in a derogatory way. But I am not meaning it as a positive or a negative - many people who have mental health problems use alcohol and drugs to cover their symptoms. That's why it's called self-medicating. It's not meant as an excuse unless you believe mental health problems aren't real. Nor does it mean that everyone using alcohol/drugs has mental health problems.
Yes it is a bad word in my view it is another one of the woke buzz words. It attempts to take away responsibilty from the addict. Of course I believe mental health problems exist, as I said in my previous comment, (may be you missed it) we all have stresses and traumas in life. I think it's a little too easy to dismiss every addiction as a result of poor mental health. Many people do infact make poor choices and drugs are usually taken in a social setting. I recognize though, There are some people that are born with things like FASD, and that makes it really hard for them to make good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 10:53 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
No that is not new. Drugs have always been cut with other things. Infact cocaine and heroin were being cut with fentanyl which is what lead to a massive spike in overdoses across the country. Fentanyl itself is very deadly. I think your misunderstanding what you're reading there. That article backs up what I was saying.

Yes it is a bad word in my view it is another one of the woke buzz words. It attempts to take away responsibilty from the addict. Of course I believe mental health problems exist, as I said in my previous comment, (may be you missed it) we all have stresses and traumas in life. I think it's a little too easy to dismiss every addiction as a result of poor mental health. Many people do infact make poor choices and drugs are usually taken in a social setting. I recognize though, There are some people that are born with things like FASD, and that makes it really hard for them to make good choices.
It has nothing to do with wokeness or pity or any of those things. It's a word that describes what some people who have mental health or even physical problems, do. It's a word.

I didn't say I was dismissing personal responsibility nor does self-medicating mean that. I just wrote a long post (in response to Acajack addressing all these things) and then my browser crashed and right now I'm not up to recapitulaing it.

Old 04-09-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleae1 View Post
The DSM5 describes more "problems" than DSM4, Progress, no?
Okay, gotcha. You believe mental health is not a real thing.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with wokeness or pity or any of those things. It's a word that describes what some people who have mental health or even physical problems, do. It's a word.
It absolutely does have to do with wokeness. It's not meant to decribe "some people", it is the woke word to describe ALL drug addicts. It is a term that is used by the same people that use terms like "unhoused", "bipoc" , identify their pronouns etc etc...I have had people "correct me" and say drug addicts is no longer apropriate, the politically correct term is " self medicating".

Old 04-09-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It absolutely does have to do with wokeness. It's not meant to decribe "some people", it is the woke word to describe ALL drug addicts. It is a term that is used by the same people that use terms like "unhoused", "bipoc" , identify their pronouns etc etc...I have had people "correct me" and say drug addicts is no longer apropriate, the politically correct term is " self medicating".
Okay, I did not know that. I know "self-medicating" has been around for a very long time. If I have time I'll see if I can research when the term was first used.

I have no idea what "bipoc" is. I've never heard of it.

I have taxes to do and documents to hunt down as it appears the government thinks I might not be a widow so I'm a little busy, but quickly, by the time a person doing drugs is an addict, they have a problem and it isn't necessarily a mental problem. So they DO self-medicate because they get all kinds of withdrawal symptoms if they don't. That doesn't mean they were mentally ill when they started drinking or doing drugs, it means that while originally it might have been fun, they now have a monkey on their backs.

But SOME people begin to use drugs and alcohol for existing mental problems.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:32 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I don't think anyone would dispute that drug addicts have serious problems, regardless of whether they became addicted due to something else going on with them, or not.

The real debate is what society's tolerance levels for their behaviour and habits should be, all of which is majorly influenced by whether we view them as "victims" or not.

Last edited by Acajack; 04-09-2024 at 12:50 PM..

Old 04-09-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what "bipoc" is. I've never heard of it.
bipoc = Black, Indigneous, People of color....

It is one of the most ridiculous categorizations I have heard come out of the woke movement.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think anyone would dispute that drug addicts have serious problems, regardless of whether they became addicted due to something else going on with them, or not.

The real debate is what society's tolerance levels for their behaviour and habits should be, all of which is majorly influenced by whether we view them as "victims" or not.
Well, I didn't understand that to be the debate here - it was about the word "self-medicating." If someone is using drugs or alcohol to feel better, I can't think of a more appropriate word than "self-medicating."

I don't see how that makes them a victim - or not.

What do you suggest should be done about their behaviour and habits?

Old 04-09-2024, 09:35 PM

Quote:
bipoc = Black, Indigneous, People of color....

It is one of the most ridiculous categorizations I have heard come out of the woke movement.
A Google search tells me it's an American term. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bipoc-m...om-2020-04-02/

Founders of "The BIPOC Project" use the term to "highlight the unique relationship to Whiteness that Indigenous and Black (African Americans) people have, which shapes the experiences of and relationship to white supremacy for all people of color within a U.S. context."

Old 04-09-2024, 11:56 PM

Chat GPT says "self-medicating" as a term can be traced back to "at least" the mid 20 century. As a concept it would have predated the written use. The WHO used the term since "at least" the 1970s. To sum up, the concept existed long before "woke."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada