Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 05:15 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Chat GPT says "self-medicating" as a term can be traced back to "at least" the mid 20 century. As a concept it would have predated the written use. The WHO used the term since "at least" the 1970s. To sum up, the concept existed long before "woke."
I think the new variant might be using it to describe, say, shooting up heroin every couple of hours to get over an unhappy childhood, no?

It's doubtful that is what the original meaning was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 05:21 AM

Quote:
A Google search tells me it's an American term. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bipoc-m...om-2020-04-02/

Founders of "The BIPOC Project" use the term to "highlight the unique relationship to Whiteness that Indigenous and Black (African Americans) people have, which shapes the experiences of and relationship to white supremacy for all people of color within a U.S. context."
Yes it is a US term but is used by the Canadian government for all sorts of things. See their websites.

The idea that there is any type of commonality in real or allegedly negative life experiences in Canada of an Indigenous person from a reserve with no drinking water and an African student whose parents have servants back home is what some people are questioning.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Well, I didn't understand that to be the debate here - it was about the word "self-medicating." If someone is using drugs or alcohol to feel better, I can't think of a more appropriate word than "self-medicating."

I don't see how that makes them a victim - or not.

What do you suggest should be done about their behaviour and habits?
I think it is all about that because we are talking about how lenient society should be with them, ie letting them use drugs in close proximity to children for example. Where they sit on the innocent victim vs. dangerous criminal spectrum is a huge part of that determination.

It is not just about drug addicts because there is a whole school of thought that suggests more leniency towards even violent criminals like rapists and killers due to personal trauma or even historical group trauma.

It's easy to find cases of this by googling.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:48 AM

1,216 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Chat GPT says "self-medicating" as a term can be traced back to "at least" the mid 20 century. As a concept it would have predated the written use. The WHO used the term since "at least" the 1970s. To sum up, the concept existed long before "woke."
Sure the term existed before the woke, but it was not used the same way or as frequently until recently. It is a term currently being used by the woke as a poltically correct alternative to drug addict, which is now considered insensitive or potically incorrect. Find me a news clip from ten years ago or before that uses the term.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
A Google search tells me it's an American term. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bipoc-m...om-2020-04-02/

Founders of "The BIPOC Project" use the term to "highlight the unique relationship to Whiteness that Indigenous and Black (African Americans) people have, which shapes the experiences of and relationship to white supremacy for all people of color within a U.S. context."

Pretty much all the terms Canadian use come from the US. Specially woke ideas. The sentence you highlighted reeks of wokeism.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Pretty much all the terms Canadian use come from the US. Specially woke ideas. The sentenced you highlighted reeks of wokeism.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...d-members.html

https://oci-bec.gc.ca/en/topic/bipoc

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/NSERC-...ls_EDI_eng.asp

https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/blog/202...sm-within-cmhc

Old 04-10-2024, 10:57 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Well, I didn't understand that to be the debate here - it was about the word "self-medicating." If someone is using drugs or alcohol to feel better, I can't think of a more appropriate word than "self-medicating."
Drugs don't actually make anyone feel better. I have yet to meet a happy heroin, crack or meth addict.

Quote:
I don't see how that makes them a victim - or not.

What do you suggest should be done about their behaviour and habits?
They are a victim in two ways,first off they are victims of the people exploiting them, selling them poison. Secondly, of their own bad decisions. Heroin needles and crack pipes don't magically load themselves.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:59 AM

Yeah sadly I am not surprised.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:07 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think the new variant might be using it to describe, say, shooting up heroin every couple of hours to get over an unhappy childhood, no?

It's doubtful that is what the original meaning was.
That was the old variant as well.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
That was the old variant as well.
No self medicating originally meant, taking medicine withouth proper medical diagnosis from a Doctor. That is not how drug addiction should be viewed as heroin and crack are not medicine, they are poison. They don't actually cure anything and cannot be prescribed by any doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada