Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 AM

52 posts, read 413,237 times

Advertisements

Thanks again, everyone. We just pulled all of our paperwork for the car so that we can go through where it was manufactured, etc. I also need to wrap my head around the HST. Grooooan. Unfortunately as well, in just going through our warranty and extended warranty paperwork, it appears as though the car's warranties are only effective in the United States. !? My husband thinks that's insane and can't possibly be right, but I think the contract is fairly clear! And if that's the case I can't imagine how it would be a good idea to bring it to Canada with us. We might as well try to sell and recoup at least some value here, especially since the warranty is transferable to the new purchaser.

This will likely end up being the most expensive car we've ever owned in terms of how much we lose on it in a short period of time. But oh well - we are moving for those nebulous "lifestyle" reasons and obviously aren't doing it for the money! It just sucks when you think you're being all responsible with money and in the end you lose a ton anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 AM

75 posts, read 575,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanUnit View Post
Thanks again, everyone. We just pulled all of our paperwork for the car so that we can go through where it was manufactured, etc. I also need to wrap my head around the HST. Grooooan. Unfortunately as well, in just going through our warranty and extended warranty paperwork, it appears as though the car's warranties are only effective in the United States. !? My husband thinks that's insane and can't possibly be right, but I think the contract is fairly clear! And if that's the case I can't imagine how it would be a good idea to bring it to Canada with us. We might as well try to sell and recoup at least some value here, especially since the warranty is transferable to the new purchaser.

This will likely end up being the most expensive car we've ever owned in terms of how much we lose on it in a short period of time. But oh well - we are moving for those nebulous "lifestyle" reasons and obviously aren't doing it for the money! It just sucks when you think you're being all responsible with money and in the end you lose a ton anyway!
Yeh I also tried selling mine in the US before returning to Canada but the dealerships and pretty much anyone you encounter will low ball you immensely. My KKB value for my Murano at the time was $29K but dealerships were offering me $21 to get it off my hands. I think a better option is to take it to a public auto auction and allow everyone to bid on it. That way you only loose a couple of grand. Goodluck!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,145,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanUnit View Post

Warranty stuff depends on manufacturer policy. I know a full list exists somewhere on the Web but I no longer have my bookmarks for that. For some companies, the US warranty is automatically still valid in Canada, for others you need to call Canadian HQ and they'll transfer the warranty, for some others it's void and you can't do anything about it. Not sure about Nissan's case, but you should call.

Quote:
When i emigrated to the USA some years ago (1985) i returned to Canada after 1 year and was told by customs at that time that i was allowed to bring back all personal possessions including my bought in the USA and Made in the USA car,.
Seems times may have changed a little in the amount of bureaucracy you may have to comply with but you are still allowed to bring back personal effects including cars, heres a site that may lead to some answers.. answers.Canadian Customs And Immigration - The Essential Information Resource.
Times have definitely changed, but for most cars there's no problem in bringing them from the US, sometimes with few modifications. However the following link clearly states that if the car you're bringing back is worth more than $10k, you'll need to pay duties and taxes: Moving Back to Canada.

btw, let me say that while we imported our car when we moved from Canada to the US, and brought two cars back, this has been the most stupidly bureaucratic part of the whole thing. Seems like people can move easily (legally) from one place to the other and back, and other goods as well, but cars, no, it has to be complicated.

Last edited by barneyg; 05-11-2010 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-11-2010, 12:35 PM

We called Nissan and figured out that the warranty does still apply! Yay! Happy news! And then found out that the car was, in fact, manufactured in Japan, and so duty also applies! Boooo! Crappy news.

Now to figure out what the duty would be, and try to wrap my head around the HST.... I don't think there is any emoticon in the world that could express how much I'm looking forward to this task.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times
Up here used 09 Muranos are going for $30k+ you may want to reconsider selling it for fear of paying taxes as you probably wont get a better deal than the one you already have, Check the auto trader for the area you are planning to relocate to for an idea of Canadian car prices.
I think the reason for the Canadian governments anal attitudes about cars being imported is the fact that cars in Canada are 20% more to buy than similar cars in the USA so the bureaucracy is to prevent Canadians en mass going stateside to buy their cars.

Last edited by jambo101; 05-11-2010 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,040,289 times
If I were your shoes, I'd trade my Murano in on a US made vehicle. Seems once you add the duty and pay to make the changes to meet Canadian standards, it may cost more than an equivalent Nissan in Canada. And supposedly a car with an odometer in miles (not kilometers) is less desirable for trade ins in Canada. I'd trade it in on a US made car that is great in snow -- such as a Subaru Outback, Tribeca or Legacy (all built in the USA)... and great in the Canadian snow!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM

From what I understand we really shouldn't have to pay anything to bring the car to Canadian standards. There's a link on the government site that says Muranos are fine, they have the daytime running lights and everything, and are otherwise fine. But there are some smallish fees in any event.

But gah, the duty and taxes will suck. I think we will have to pay HST, so that's 13%, and about 6% duty since the car was manufactured in Japan. This is all applied to the amount over $10k, so we're paying like 19% - 19%!!! - on $17,000. I figure that all in, we're paying close to $4k in fees. Just brutal! But, I am pretty sure that'd lose at least that in trying to sell here, if not more. Financially, it's probably smarter to bring the car with us, but there's that intangible "pain in the arse" factor in transporting it . This all in addition to the other paperwork and administrative stuff involved in moving ourselves and our pets and our personal effects.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,963,204 times
I may as well as here: my partner and I live in Columbus, and I'm Canadian (he's not). I'm a student here in the US, so a non-resident alien. Anyway, I wanted to take his car (Ohio registered) to visit some friends in London for the weekend, but am not sure what issues might arise from doing that. Anybody know?

Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,145,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I may as well as here: my partner and I live in Columbus, and I'm Canadian (he's not). I'm a student here in the US, so a non-resident alien. Anyway, I wanted to take his car (Ohio registered) to visit some friends in London for the weekend, but am not sure what issues might arise from doing that. Anybody know?
I don't see a problem other that it won't be your car -- if he's not going to be with you when you cross, the border guard may ask you "whose car is this", and may or may not make it an issue, but won't be able to if you have some kind of letter from your partner saying he lets you take the car into Canada.

It's definitely not illegal for a Canadian to bring a US car into Canada if the intent is clearly to bring it back to the US. I've done it many times with my own car when I was an F-1 student in the US, so the only potential issue here is with the owner of the car.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,244,447 times
You could try calling Pacific Customs Brokers Ltd., toll-free: 888.538.1566, local: 604.538.1566, my friend used them as she was moving to BC, but they know about all provinces.

I called them myself and here is what they told me:

If not made in North America (J serial number) 6.1% duty
$100 if the car has AC (what new car doesn't ?)
5% GST
8% PST (this was before HST)
$200 registration charge
Plus maybe more.

I think someone also gave you this site previously, but if not, here goes:
Registrar of imported vehicles website www.riv.ca

Good luck with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada