Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Listen, I exported the car so I don't know exactly what would happen if you didn't do that first. On the US side they stamped the car's title. It was actually tricky to do the export and I paid someone to do the background work (you need to set it up in advance and then schedule it with a specific border crossing). Definitely look into it before you show up as you can't just show up! All I will say is do some research and then decide what you want to do.

You will have more problems than insurance - for example, after 60 days (I think) you are supposed to have an Ontario license. Also, in order to register your car in Ontario you must have insurance. Can't get insurance unless it's registered in Ontario, and you'll need an Ontario driver license when you register it. See the circular problem???

IMO, just do it right or not at all. Sell and buy here. Kinda wish we had done that.
I did the export/import myself. You've just got to wrap your head around the list of what needs to be done -- and when and where -- and it's (fairly) straightforward. Don't forget, too, that you need a letter -- dated within X days of export/import -- from the car manufacturer, stating that there are no recalls. Part of the process is that paperwork needs to be sent to the border where you're crossing, and that too has to be within X days of your actual crossing. It's a bit of a complicated dance, so make sure that you have every step written down -- and when it needs to be done -- so that you don't have a misstep.

The Ontario reg/ins/lic isn't circular. You don't need the registration in order to get your insurance -- you just need your Ontario driver's license. (I just did it this past June.)

1. Get license (you need your Ontario license to get your Ontario insurance).
2. Get insurance (you need your Ontario insurance to get your Ontario registration).
3. Get car inspected (you need your safety inspection cert to get your Ontario registration).
4. Get registration.

Somewhere in those steps, you'll also have to do any other U.S./Canada work -- like for daytime running lights -- but I imported into Quebec, where I was living at the time, so I don't know what's involved for Ontario on that issue. I know, though, that you'll need an RIV inspection (and daytime running lights, if you don't already have those), but that's a separate inspection from the Ontario safety inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 AM

17,288 posts, read 15,491,542 times
Quote:
I don't understand - you're just going to drive your US-plated and registered car in Canada indefinitely? What will you do for insurance? I don't think an American insurance policy covers that. When you have to tell the insurance company that your new address is in Canada do you think they'll renew your policy?

We just did the export/import thing and it was a PAIN and EXPENSIVE. I don't recommend it unless you really really really like your car. Not worth it.

FYI the only reason to properly export from the US is in case you intend to re-import it to the US. Otherwise it really doesn't matter. We did it but honestly if you didn't and never returned the car to the US they would never know and it wouldn't make any difference.

The importing process was a pain but not difficult. Lots of forms to keep track of.

**Also take note - if your car has daytime running lights but they can be turned off your car will not pass. I had never read that anywhere, and of course my DRLs could be turned off. Even the Lexus dealership wasn't able to fix it, but Canadian Tire did a fix and signed off on the inspection.
I agree that unless you REALLY like the car, it simply isn't worth it.

A few years ago, my sister moved back to Montreal from FL, and tried to take her 2-year old Nissan up with her. There were ridiculous amounts of import taxes to be paid (as in over $5,000) for her to switch it over. She decided it was not worth the hassle. I bought the car from her and kept it here as a result.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:47 AM

34 posts, read 38,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree that unless you REALLY like the car, it simply isn't worth it.

A few years ago, my sister moved back to Montreal from FL, and tried to take her 2-year old Nissan up with her. There were ridiculous amounts of import taxes to be paid (as in over $5,000) for her to switch it over. She decided it was not worth the hassle. I bought the car from her and kept it here as a result.

My car is a 2015 Audi A3 so selling it is not an option... but I'll look into the import taxes because 5K is ridiculous...

I'm moving back to Québec so might be different than Ontario regs; from what I've read I can transfer my US driver's license to a Quebec one so that is one less headache in the process.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:12 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,137,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties66 View Post

My car is a 2015 Audi A3 so selling it is not an option... but I'll look into the import taxes because 5K is ridiculous...

I'm moving back to Québec so might be different than Ontario regs; from what I've read I can transfer my US driver's license to a Quebec one so that is one less headache in the process.
We sold a 2013 E350 4matic and a 2013 Pathfinder, just not worth it. With the exchange rate, taxes and factoring the cost of trying to import into Canada, by NOT importing we made out pretty good cash wise. Set up a spreadsheet, you'll be surprise how much you save by not importing.

Also US speced cars are difficult to unload in Canada, with hindsight I would have had to get rid of the E350 as I spend more time on back mountain roads then I realized (got a 4runner). Pathfinder was 2 wheel drive and would have had horrendous resale in Canada, was a non-starter in any event as spouse new to snow.

Note the luxury brands tend to get sticky about converting to Canada specs, apparently Mercedes would require a complete change out of the instrument panel before providing a letter. Check with Audi.

Licence transfer no issue to Alberta.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:20 PM

866 posts, read 2,488,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I did the export/import myself. You've just got to wrap your head around the list of what needs to be done -- and when and where -- and it's (fairly) straightforward. Don't forget, too, that you need a letter -- dated within X days of export/import -- from the car manufacturer, stating that there are no recalls. Part of the process is that paperwork needs to be sent to the border where you're crossing, and that too has to be within X days of your actual crossing. It's a bit of a complicated dance, so make sure that you have every step written down -- and when it needs to be done -- so that you don't have a misstep.

The Ontario reg/ins/lic isn't circular. You don't need the registration in order to get your insurance -- you just need your Ontario driver's license. (I just did it this past June.)

1. Get license (you need your Ontario license to get your Ontario insurance).
2. Get insurance (you need your Ontario insurance to get your Ontario registration).
3. Get car inspected (you need your safety inspection cert to get your Ontario registration).
4. Get registration.

Somewhere in those steps, you'll also have to do any other U.S./Canada work -- like for daytime running lights -- but I imported into Quebec, where I was living at the time, so I don't know what's involved for Ontario on that issue. I know, though, that you'll need an RIV inspection (and daytime running lights, if you don't already have those), but that's a separate inspection from the Ontario safety inspection.
Just did it last month, and this is technically true but be warned - while I did get a policy set up (because you have to show insurance to get the car registered), I had to provide the Ontario registration/plate # within 20 days or the policy would be cancelled.

It was a total PITA rushing to get it all worked out.

One final FYI - if your car is registered in more than one name (we put our cars in both our names, so both names are on the title) then FORGET IT! You both have to show up to do the transfer and if you both can't go at the same time don't bother. If I hadn't got a nice supervisor at Service Ontario (both times grrr) there is no way this would have happened.

Long story short - you have to REALLY REALLY want it, as it will take a lot of time, hassle, and money.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:27 PM

866 posts, read 2,488,254 times
Quote:

Our 2016 Lexus GX was over $4500 PLUS all the other fees (inspection, registration, DRL fix, etc.)

Check out your VIN - if it starts with a letter then you'll have to pay an import duty of 6.1% on the total cost after they add HST.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:51 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,283,369 times
It's very rarely worth it. It's also tricky the other way too. My '86 Buick Regal with the Chevy 305 couldn't be registered in the US as it didn't meet emissions standards (they used the Olds 307 engine in the US). Luckily I found a dealer who accepted it in trade.

Unless it is a collector's car I would keep it on the same side of the border as where it originated.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Our 2016 Lexus GX was over $4500 PLUS all the other fees (inspection, registration, DRL fix, etc.)

Check out your VIN - if it starts with a letter then you'll have to pay an import duty of 6.1% on the total cost after they add HST.
Thanks for the info. So the 6.1% is based on the price you paid, not on the current value?

Old 01-31-2018, 11:46 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,137,775 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. So the 6.1% is based on the price you paid, not on the current value?
The will use a book market value but I'm not sure which one.

Note - all outstanding debts on car must be paid off.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
The will use a book market value but I'm not sure which one.

Note - all outstanding debts on car must be paid off.
Thanks! I found this golden nugget on an article from The Globe And Mail:

The GST and duty will be based on the Canadian Red Book value of your car, says Viraf Baliwalla of the Automall Network, a Toronto-based car broker. If you've been a U.S. resident for a year or more – and you've owned the car for at least a year – you'll get a $10,000 exemption, Baliwalla says.

The tax and duty will be based on the remainder. So, if a car had a book value of, say, $29,000 CAD, you'd pay tax and duty on $19,000. That would be $950 for GST and $1159 for duty.

"The Red Book value is usually much higher than what we'd buy a vehicle for in Canada or the U.S.," Baliwalla says.

The Red Book value can be as much as 20 per cent higher than the black book values you can find on the Internet, says the Alberta Motor Association.

Last edited by smarties66; 01-31-2018 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada