Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You have to return the plates and officially cancel your registration after you've plated and registered it in Canada. The title, if I remember correctly, is taken as part of the process when you cross the border. You can just let your driver's license expire but I think that if you cancel it, they'll reimburse you for the portion of it that's unused.

Thank you again! I think this covers everything we have to take care of before moving to Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:18 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Do you have to convert the speedometer from miles to KM for Canadian certification?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Do you have to convert the speedometer from miles to KM for Canadian certification?
Nope.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:24 AM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
WOW... This has to be the record for the longest running thread on CD. SEVEN YEARS. Since 2010.

xxx.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,939 times
[URL="http://www.malikjunkcarremoval.com"]junk car removal ontario Milton[/URL]

Old 10-03-2017, 10:53 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, yes -- you need a metric speedometer to pass RIV (federal) inspection, which is a requirement for importation. Most cars sold in the US have a speedometer with both large MPH and small KPH numbers, those would be fine. However if your car only shows MPH, you will fail RIV inspection unless they do a bad job and you would then need to get the modifications done at a dealership before you pass RIV inspection again.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:41 PM

34 posts, read 38,829 times
Stupid question. if I decide not to export my car bought in the US and not to import it in Canada as well, what's the worst that can happen? I'm a Canadian citizen returning to Canada after leaving in the US for 5 years and I'm still on a H1-B visa and I intend so say that I'm taking 10 days off in Canada when I'm at the border.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:47 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
I don't understand - you're just going to drive your US-plated and registered car in Canada indefinitely? What will you do for insurance? I don't think an American insurance policy covers that. When you have to tell the insurance company that your new address is in Canada do you think they'll renew your policy?

We just did the export/import thing and it was a PAIN and EXPENSIVE. I don't recommend it unless you really really really like your car. Not worth it.

FYI the only reason to properly export from the US is in case you intend to re-import it to the US. Otherwise it really doesn't matter. We did it but honestly if you didn't and never returned the car to the US they would never know and it wouldn't make any difference.

The importing process was a pain but not difficult. Lots of forms to keep track of.

**Also take note - if your car has daytime running lights but they can be turned off your car will not pass. I had never read that anywhere, and of course my DRLs could be turned off. Even the Lexus dealership wasn't able to fix it, but Canadian Tire did a fix and signed off on the inspection.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:54 AM

34 posts, read 38,829 times
Thanks streetsmart. So if I understand correctly, since I have no intention to go back to the US, I can just import the car? They will not ask me if I exported it first?

I heard that you can drive your US car up to 3 (or was it 6 months?). But I get it, insurance would be an issue.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 AM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
Listen, I exported the car so I don't know exactly what would happen if you didn't do that first. On the US side they stamped the car's title. It was actually tricky to do the export and I paid someone to do the background work (you need to set it up in advance and then schedule it with a specific border crossing). Definitely look into it before you show up as you can't just show up! All I will say is do some research and then decide what you want to do.

You will have more problems than insurance - for example, after 60 days (I think) you are supposed to have an Ontario license. Also, in order to register your car in Ontario you must have insurance. Can't get insurance unless it's registered in Ontario, and you'll need an Ontario driver license when you register it. See the circular problem???

IMO, just do it right or not at all. Sell and buy here. Kinda wish we had done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada