Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I cannot give you any more reps and you do posts good information. I never heard that phrase before. It fits into my frugal lifestyle and I am going to use it and post it on my wall.

Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do or do without

It also apply to our body as as we age, we use it up and eventually wear it out. We make it do as long as possible, then we are forced to do without life itself, because there is no renew.

I got to think about that

Thanks,

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
Maybe you could help with the laundry to ensure that the clothing is clean. I imagine at some point, if a person is frail enough, they may not feel that doing laundry as often as they used to is as worth the effort any longer. If items are torn but salvageable perhaps you could bring them to a tailor for mending? Perhaps take them shopping to choose some things for themselves. In the end, maybe you'll have to compromise. As long as they are safe, healthy and not harming themselves, their choices should be their own.
This person is very old and very stubborn and very controlling and mean . . . and that's just the half of it (or not even that). The person will not allow any "help" - that would be the obvious, easy fix . . .If I could, I would wash everything and throw anything not good out, but the person is controlling and difficult . . .

Was asking for ideas from anyone who might have run up against this issue.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
I spent a bundle on clothes for my mother, put names tags in every bit of them, and tyhen went to the home to see someone else wearing them

Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This person is very old and very stubborn and very controlling and mean . . . and that's just the half of it (or not even that). The person will not allow any "help" - that would be the obvious, easy fix . . .If I could, I would wash everything and throw anything not good out, but the person is controlling and difficult . . .

Let it go. If the senior is not incompetent, it's not your problem.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:10 PM

570 posts, read 1,339,830 times
Quote:

Actually, I have run up against the issue. My grandmother wore the same (out of style) clothes for decades. We bought her new clothes and tried to insist she wear them (she never would). Eventually we did do her laundry for her and took her shopping (which helped a little). But the bottom line is she was a competent adult who had every right to make her own choices, and I didn't give a rodent's posterior what someone at the grocery store thought of her outfit because she was happy with it. So we realized we were being foolish and let it go. Though I do have to say my grandmother was not a mean or controlling person, as you have described your family member to be. Good luck to you, I know it isn't easy.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
I think the key here is HAS THIS PERSON'S DRESSING HABIT CHANGED?

Throughout her life, my mother never cared much for stylish clothes, but she was always well-dressed and clean. In her early dementia/Alzheimer's days, she stopped bathing and wore the same housedress 24/7. It got very dirty but she refused to let anyone wash it, as doing so would have meant that she had to remove it and wear something else temporarily. She also became reluctant to have her hair cut (and, eventually, even to have it washed).

If your relative has always been reluctant to wear new or different clothes, then my suggestion would be that you leave her alone. But, if this represents a decided change in her behavior, you should be concerned about her mental health.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Went through this with my mom. She had closets full of nice clothes she was saving 'for good'. And she would wear ratty clothes every day and even out to the store etc. Her underwear was awful. I took a couple of the worst offenders and threw them away every time I did laundry and replaced them with freshly laundered new ones. She told me I was wasteful but she wore them because she had no choice.

And most of those clothes she was saving 'for good' ended up being donated after she died.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 PM

133 posts, read 175,343 times
Quote:

Ok, this is a diferent issue all together. Call your state department on aging. They have social workers that can provide assistance, be it financially, medically or regarding housing.

My father got to the point of threatening people with a gun who tried to help him so I know about mean. I think alot of it involves loss of control.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Thanks for the ideas to those who have contributed such . . . I am mulling over what I am going to do.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Went through this with my mom. She had closets full of nice clothes she was saving 'for good'. And she would wear ratty clothes every day and even out to the store etc. Her underwear was awful. I took a couple of the worst offenders and threw them away every time I did laundry and replaced them with freshly laundered new ones. She told me I was wasteful but she wore them because she had no choice.

And most of those clothes she was saving 'for good' ended up being donated after she died.
My suggestion was going to be a variation of this ^^^. My DH is 67 and completely coherent, but hates change of any sort. I quietly throw away holey socks and underwear etc a peice or two at a time and silently add new stuff to his drawer. He knows what I'm doing, but since he doesn't "catch me" in the act and the old stuff is gone..he just grumps about the new stuff, but eventually wears it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving