Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,577,173 times

Advertisements

Long story short. Married wife almost 6 years ago. About three years ago her dad was moved in with us do to his declining health related to his age (now 86 years old). We live in a tiny 14 feet by 48 feet two bedroom one bath mobile home. He's on home oxygen, blood thinners, and has the shakes.

Today was the worst. He'd just finished eating when he got up and hurried (his shuffling speed for hurrying) towards the hall. We heard a noise and saw he had the runs and was now tracking it all the way down our carpeted hallway to the bathroom. My wife has multiple spinal problems and is in constant pain. She got him into the shower to wash him and put his clothes to wash. I picked up as much as I could then used the Resolve carpet cleaner and scrubbed on my hands and knees the length of the hall. Though much better, I could tell there was no way to get all of it up with what we have at home. To make it worse, I leave for work soon for my 3pm to 11pm shift at the hospital leaving her alone here. My wife refuses to consider putting him in a home but if her physical condition gets much worse she may not have a choice. What is most frustrating is she has a brother and sister who each live in a large home with a spare bedroom and neither will take him in to care for him. I love my wife and respect my father-in-law (we both served in the Navy, him in Pearl Harbor as a hospital corpsman receiving the dead and wounded of WW2 and myself as a machinist mate working the engine room of a steam driven ship in Desert Storm). But I feel as if I'm getting close to the limit of what I can take. Any advice? Oh, my wife and I are 43.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times
It's time for adult diapers, depends. It sounds like this was his first accident, hardly a reason to toss him into a nursing home.

This is your wife's father. She wants him there. You don't get to overrule.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
I'm not sure how you can get your wife to get over her guilt and change her mind. Nursing homes are not evil. Sometimes they are the best solution. Can you hire someone to come into your home and help? Would your wife's siblings help with that?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,681,797 times
If he's the one who has to support and take care of him then by all means he should have the right to over rule.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,909,566 times
That sounds like a tough situation, sailordave. Have you and your wife considered having a p/t in-home aide for while you are at work to help out? Or are there any resources available through the local VA?

Also, though it doesn't solve the problem, there are some decent carpet steamers that aren't too expensive that can help in pulling up accident residue from carpets (I have pets and am potty training, so I use my spot bot plenty!). Thanks to both you and your FIL for your service. I hope you, your wife and FIL can find a workable solution.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 PM

He lives there too. He helps with the care. He sees his wife's health deteriorating. He should get a say.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
If he's the one who has to support and take care of him then by all means he should have the right to over rule.
Not overrule. Marriage is a partnership.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
He lives there too. He helps with the care. He sees his wife's health deteriorating. He should get a say.
Of course he has a say. They are partners.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,681,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not overrule. Marriage is a partnership.

Overrule may have been the wrong word. But he should have MORE say than his wife because it sounds like he may be stuck with most of the work. ON TOP of having to go to work each day. Plus the wife doesnt sound like shes not in her best health which in a few years (god forbid) she may need to be taken care of too. Should he have to take care of both?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Overrule may have been the wrong word. But he should have MORE say than his wife because it sounds like he may be stuck with most of the work. ON TOP of having to go to work each day. Plus the wife doesnt sound like shes not in her best health which in a few years (god forbid) she may need to be taken care of too. Should he have to take care of both?
I didn't get that from his post at all. He only mentioned this one incident. We don't know who does what work every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving