Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 05:43 PM

728 posts, read 463,804 times

Advertisements

To be fair to the OP, it was her brother who brought the heirloom to the memory care unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 06:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggi468 View Post
My parents are on a memory care unit and I brought my grandmother’s quilt on a display rack and now it’s missing. I complained to them it needs to be found because that’s a family heirloom. They asked me when did it go missing and I said it doesn’t matter and I don’t have time for odd questions and that they need to find it.
I would be patient with the staff. As others have pointed out, one of a kind or valuable items do not belong in memory care. Unfortunately, there are so many ways items can get lost or damaged. The item could have gotten soiled, then gotten lost in the laundry. Another resident could have wandered into their room and taken it. One of your parents could have taken the quilt with them and left their room, leaving it behind somewhere, and if it wasn't clearly labeled with their name and room number in Sharpie, which I wouldn't have done to an heirloom quilt, might mean it's now lost or in another person's room.

I would send pictures of the item to the staff and be kind and non-threatening, saying you're sure it was just a mix-up, and hope it turns back up, but going forward, I would avoid leaving valuables in their room.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:44 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
My mother was in a nursing home. She was in their regular unit, not the memory care unit. Years earlier, I gave her a silver bracelet with three grandma charms. She wore it everyday. It disappeared on the day she died.

It's not a secure environment. Sorry about your heirloom. It must be heartbreaking.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:49 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I am sorry that you lost your heirloom. While I understand your frustration, I too agree that one should NEVER take anything valuable or meaningful to even an assisted living. Others have already pointed out the reasons but I will go one step further and caution people who are traveling never to pack valuable or meaningful things. If you can't carry it with you or on you - leave it home.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:11 AM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
My parents are on a memory care unit and I brought my grandmother’s quilt on a display rack and now it’s missing. I complained to them it needs to be found because that’s a family heirloom. They asked me when did it go missing and I said it doesn’t matter and I don’t have time for odd questions and that they need to find it.
Anybody dealt with incompetent staff?

Probably not any worse than dealing with ignorant clients with no sense of appropriate behavior.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:25 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
They asked me when did it go missing and I said it doesn’t matter and I don’t have time for odd questions and that they need to find it.
Well you aren't going to get far with that attitude.

It does matter because they can check with the folks who were working that day, or review camera footage.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:34 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
When my grandfather went into memory care, we hung a framed painting of our mother (his daughter) that my grandparents commissioned when my mother was 10. It was about 24x18 and wouldn't be worth any money to anyone else. It, too, went missing. Lesson learned for us.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
I am sorry you lost something that had special memories for you but not a good decision IMO

Someone —maybe a resident, maybe not— took it—maybe someone stole it to sell on EBay or Etsy
Maybe it is in someone’s room—did you have photos to show what it looked like?

I would NEVER take anything that couldn’t be replaced to any sort of hospital/nursing home
Basically the same as leaving something in an unlocked car
I don’t care how nice the people who work there might be—plenty of others come through like family or friends of other residents…you and your family member have no way to protect personal items—-or even someone’s person as there are many stories about abuse of residents themselves by staff or others…

Old 04-25-2022, 02:04 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
It is sad that today stealing from elderly is acceptable in care units.
The workers really need to be well screened before allowing them to work with the elderly both for safety and security reasons.

I have read stories that when workers come to a person's home some of them will fake an accident to collect worker's comp. so you must vigilant both in a facility and at home.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:20 PM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
Who do you think you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving