Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCode View Post
But I don't really know what to believe. Should I wait a couple weeks to see if he can calm down and adjust to my schedule, and if he still seems to cling to me so much because of how much I'm gone, perhaps give him back to go to a home that can better take care of his needs?
I read through this post and have a thought. Do you have a friend or relative who might be willing to stop by your place when you're at work, to play with him? It would do so much for his energy levels and socialization.

Something to consider if you're leaning toward keeping him. He sounds like a wonderful cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 AM

638 posts, read 993,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I read through this post and have a thought. Do you have a friend or relative who might be willing to stop by your place when you're at work, to play with him? It would do so much for his energy levels and socialization.

Something to consider if you're leaning toward keeping him. He sounds like a wonderful cat.
Good idea! Another thing I thought of.......Since you said he bothers you mostly in the kitchen,are you sure you're feeding him enough?

Old 04-22-2014, 12:06 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
He might adjust to being alone but he's a cat and you know how long it takes them to adjust. My Joe has lived with the dog for 10 years and it took him about 5 years to decide the dog was tolerable. I didn't think he'd ever be calm around the dog, he's a high strung guy, and maybe it's just that he's older I don't know.

They're all different and maybe the kitten would adjust to being alone if he had enough attention when the OP was home but if the OP felt guilty and the kitty was crazed it might be better for all concerned to return him. Very kind and compassionate of the OP to consider the kitty's well being and not his own wants and needs.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:10 AM

55 posts, read 160,851 times
Unfortunately I don't think anyone would be willing to stop by and give him some attention every day... At first, I thought maybe he was out of food too, but I keep the bowl out all day filled so he can graze whenever. I have to fill it up in the morning and before I go to bed. He likes to eat. LOL So, I'm trying to distract him with toys when he gets noisy and clingy in the kitchen and then praise him when he's playing with them.

I don't really think it's getting much better. He is the picture of a calm, collected, sweet feline when I'm able to be home all day. But those days when I'm gone more than 9.5 hours a day, he'll just cling to me so hard. Breaks my heart to think he's probably clinging to me because I'm gone so long and he has no one else around to talk to or be with. Then I have to close him out of my room at night because otherwise he'd be all over my face all night. I wish I didn't have to keep the door shut. So on the days when I'm gone 14 hours (which are about to be more often), he'll only see me for 2.5/24 hours. That's a lot of time to be alone... Poor guy even sleeps outside my door so he can greet me as soon as I wake up. I know I'd hate to spend that long in solitude. I can't imagine that being very healthy for a kitten especially.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think anyone would be willing to stop by and give him some attention every day... At first, I thought maybe he was out of food too, but I keep the bowl out all day filled so he can graze whenever. I have to fill it up in the morning and before I go to bed. He likes to eat. LOL So, I'm trying to distract him with toys when he gets noisy and clingy in the kitchen and then praise him when he's playing with them.

I don't really think it's getting much better. He is the picture of a calm, collected, sweet feline when I'm able to be home all day. But those days when I'm gone more than 9.5 hours a day, he'll just cling to me so hard. Breaks my heart to think he's probably clinging to me because I'm gone so long and he has no one else around to talk to or be with. Then I have to close him out of my room at night because otherwise he'd be all over my face all night. I wish I didn't have to keep the door shut. So on the days when I'm gone 14 hours (which are about to be more often), he'll only see me for 2.5/24 hours. That's a lot of time to be alone... Poor guy even sleeps outside my door so he can greet me as soon as I wake up. I know I'd hate to spend that long in solitude. I can't imagine that being very healthy for a kitten especially.

It's not. Trust your instincts on this, let him go back to the rescue and find a home where he will not be alone so much. Perhaps there will come a time later in your life when you can devote more time to a pet. The kitten is lucky you understand this and want what's best for him.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM

11 posts, read 26,587 times
I'm not an authority on cats but, I've had cats all my life and I am now in my sixties. For the last 30 years, I've had at least four or five cats at a time and I do understand the nature of our feline friends very well.

Your little kitty is suffering from 'anxiety and loneliness' because he is on his own for an unreasonably long time, which, is really quite cruel to him, although, not intentional on your part. I'd love to say to you give it time but, I'm sorry to say that it would be a kindness on your part to return him to the rescue shelter for re-homing. Someone out there would be the perfect companion for your fur baby. Please do the right thing by him and give him the best chance of being matched up with someone else and not wait until he is a bit older. Kittens do re-home quickly! Older cats take longer and elderly cats have very little, and often no chance of finding a home.

Let your conscience be your guide and remember, 'Love is letting go.' God Bless You.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 PM

55 posts, read 160,851 times
Thanks again everyone for all your helpful insight. I now think it's best that I take him back to the rescue. I made sure to call them to verify that they were a no-kill shelter, and they said they never euthanize. And like everyone has said, I'm sure he would find a new home very quickly because he is so friendly and still a kitten (a big kitten though, but a kitten). He's so friendly he'll even let you pet his tummy. It's sad for me since he has grown on me, but I'd rather he be in a home that can give him all the attention he needs so that he grows up to be a healthy and happy kitty. Perhaps a home with more people in the house, children, or other pets. I think he would sure enjoy that.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Thanks again everyone for all your helpful insight. I now think it's best that I take him back to the rescue. I made sure to call them to verify that they were a no-kill shelter, and they said they never euthanize. And like everyone has said, I'm sure he would find a new home very quickly because he is so friendly and still a kitten (a big kitten though, but a kitten). He's so friendly he'll even let you pet his tummy. It's sad for me since he has grown on me, but I'd rather he be in a home that can give him all the attention he needs so that he grows up to be a healthy and happy kitty. Perhaps a home with more people in the house, children, or other pets. I think he would sure enjoy that.
You have a good heart to be so concerned about your cats quality of life.... a lot of people wouldn't. I know it's hard for you to let go, but you're doing the right thing. Perhaps at some point in the future you'll be in a better position to have a pet. I hope so, as I think you would be a great pet guardian.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:09 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,102 times
You are going to be a great cat dad OP when you have time to devote to a kitty. It's sad you have to give up this little guy I just wish there were more people like you. Thanks for sharing your story, I hope some day you return to tell us you are home more and found another kitty that's just as loving because you deserve to have such a loving companion.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:

This kitten is begging for your attention and some bonding. By shutting doors and keeping him away from you is cruel, no matter how much "attention" you think you are giving this poor thing. It is definitely not healthy for the kitty. This is a loving animal that only wants some cuddling and talking to. Why not open your doors to him, let him on the bed, no big deal. He'll settle down into a routine, but now you're not allowing that. You are literally shutting him out.

Please, find him a loving nurturing home soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats