Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 07:26 PM

55 posts, read 160,702 times

Advertisements

First, I know this will rub some people the wrong way, and I really adore animals. I grew up with always two dogs in the house that I always loved and loved to take care of. I had a very independent (not so people friendly) cat about 6 months while living with my parents before moving away for college (it's my parent's cat). This case is just something that I need some guidance and advice on. Please no hate bashing. This is an incredibly difficult decision for me.

I adopted a cat about 2 weeks ago. He's about 6 months old. I decided to adopt a cat because I have an incredible busy schedule. I am gone anywhere from 8-14 hours a day. When I first got him, he was extremely clingy and followed me everywhere and meowed constantly. I still can't let him in my room at night because all he will want to do is rub on my face and lay on my head. Obviously not great when trying to sleep. He does meow A LOT still. It's mostly whenever I'm in the kitchen or whenever I'm in a room with the door closed. He will even follow me into the bathroom and rub on my legs in there. His clinginess is better on my days off work and I'm able to be home most of the day, and on those days he's still always right by my side sleeping. When he's calm and I can come to him to be petted, I love that. He is probably the most affectionate cat I've ever seen, and I really enjoy petting him and having him around. He's part Maine Coon.

However, in the mornings or when I get home from work he is DEMANDING attention and extremely vocal and clingy. Basically just like he was the first day I brought him to my apartment.

I'm really worried that he might not be the right fit for me. He has a lot of energy and I think the only way he can use that energy is by being super clingy when I get home. I think he might be better with a family that has multiple cats or more people in the household. I can't afford to get another cat, as I'm on an extremely tight budget as is. I'm afraid he gets bored. He has lots of toys, but they don't seem to help. I can't take the extreme clinginess. I did adopt him from a rescue; they said I could bring him back. They won't euthanize him. Should I keep him? He is super affectionate and loves to stick by my side and sleep, so I can pet him at my leisure, but when he's clingy, he's a lot to handle. Should I take him back and look into adopting an older cat? Should I keep him? Or am I gone too much during the day to get even a more laid back independent cat?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
My first thought is that at 6 months old he's still a kitten. The length of time you are gone during the day is a long time for a cat that age, with no other cats/humans around to play with. There's a good chance he will grow out of the clingy behavior, but it might take several months. You would have to decide if you could handle that or not. I would hate to see you return him to the rescue, but if adopting a playmate for him isn't an option, then you may have to. It won't do either of you any good if you're unhappy with the situation. Perhaps others here will have better advice, but please consider giving him more time.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Your instincts are correct. A pet is not a good idea for you at this time.

Animals are living beings that require attention and care. Cats are social animals. 8-14 hours alone every day is not a good life for any cat, including a kitten. Then you shut him out at night too. It's a horrible life for a cat.

Toys don't mean anything when there is no one to play with.

Quote:
I decided to adopt a cat because I have an incredible busy schedule. I am gone anywhere from 8-14 hours a day.
This is not a reason to get a cat, as opposed to some other pet. Cats need just as much care as any other animal. It is a fallacy that they are "standoffish" or "independent" or "low maintenance".

You mention financial issues too. Animals take money. Proper food, vet care, emergencies.

Bring him back. Perhaps in a few years, when you are home more and are more stable financially, you can adopt a bonded pair.

Last edited by catsmom21; 04-18-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 08:35 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I'm not going to beat up on you, I think you outlined the situation in a sensible, understandable way. Not every pet owner and pet are a good match for each other.

But part of your kitties problem is his young age and he probably is suffering from anxiety from being removed from his family.......he is making you the center of his life.

A few months makes a huge difference in how a cat behaves. We have had Daisy for a year now and when we first got her she was a holy terror, constantly wanting to wrestle with the older two cats we have. But now she is very much a different, more calm cat and I seldom see her wanting to tussle with them. She has turned out to be a very nice, gentle cat.

It is also sometimes best to adopt an adult cat right off the bat. They are out of that crazy kitten stage and are content to lay around and they do not need constant attention most times. But only you can make this call. Good luck.

Don

Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
The thing is, a kitten raised in such isolation is not going to be able to learn how to be a nice cat. He's not going to outgrow the "neediness" of wanting human contact. He is not going to learn anything.He will not develop social skills or learn how to be a cozy friendly cat. He is much more likely to develop intolerable behavior problems, which will make him unadoptable when he is older.

My "kitten" is almost four years old. She still requires several daily interactive games with me. All my cats expect to be played with and shown affection every day, for more than a minute or two.

Cats are social, intelligent, active animals. They are not solitary. "Laying around" all day is not healthy for them any more than it is healthy for anyone else.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 PM

55 posts, read 160,702 times
I'm able to play with him for 10-15 minutes twice a day (when I wake up and before going to bed). Problem is that he's not one to run around and chase stuff. He's kind of a lazy player. I'll use the feather on a stick toy and he'll just lie there and try to catch it. Same with a laser pointer. I have found he loves batting balls around the apartment (ones with little bells inside or fuzzy ones), so I'll throw those around and he chases them. I do think he spends most of his day sleeping though when I'm gone.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:17 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCode View Post
First, I know this will rub some people the wrong way, and I really adore animals. I grew up with always two dogs in the house that I always loved and loved to take care of. I had a very independent (not so people friendly) cat about 6 months while living with my parents before moving away for college (it's my parent's cat). This case is just something that I need some guidance and advice on. Please no hate bashing. This is an incredibly difficult decision for me.

I adopted a cat about 2 weeks ago. He's about 6 months old. I decided to adopt a cat because I have an incredible busy schedule. I am gone anywhere from 8-14 hours a day. When I first got him, he was extremely clingy and followed me everywhere and meowed constantly. I still can't let him in my room at night because all he will want to do is rub on my face and lay on my head. Obviously not great when trying to sleep. He does meow A LOT still. It's mostly whenever I'm in the kitchen or whenever I'm in a room with the door closed. He will even follow me into the bathroom and rub on my legs in there. His clinginess is better on my days off work and I'm able to be home most of the day, and on those days he's still always right by my side sleeping. When he's calm and I can come to him to be petted, I love that. He is probably the most affectionate cat I've ever seen, and I really enjoy petting him and having him around. He's part Maine Coon.

However, in the mornings or when I get home from work he is DEMANDING attention and extremely vocal and clingy. Basically just like he was the first day I brought him to my apartment.

I'm really worried that he might not be the right fit for me. He has a lot of energy and I think the only way he can use that energy is by being super clingy when I get home. I think he might be better with a family that has multiple cats or more people in the household. I can't afford to get another cat, as I'm on an extremely tight budget as is. I'm afraid he gets bored. He has lots of toys, but they don't seem to help. I can't take the extreme clinginess. I did adopt him from a rescue; they said I could bring him back. They won't euthanize him. Should I keep him? He is super affectionate and loves to stick by my side and sleep, so I can pet him at my leisure, but when he's clingy, he's a lot to handle. Should I take him back and look into adopting an older cat? Should I keep him? Or am I gone too much during the day to get even a more laid back independent cat?
In your boat I'd probably take him back to the shelter. It sounds like you've got way too much going on to be able to give the cat the attention he craves, although I am sure you'd like to, and I'd bet you'll both end up frustrated. Taking him back to the shelter will give another person, or family who does have more time to spend with him a chance to give him a great home, and the attention he wants. I'm sure with the way you describe his personality, he'll have no trouble at all finding a new home.

Just my own opinion, but again, in your boat, I'd probably wait till I was finished with school, and/or didn't have such a busy schedule before I brought another pet into my life. I don't think there are too many pets out there, no matter what the species, or how independent they are,( well, I'm not so sure about fish, LOL) that don't crave some attention from their owners, and you'd hate to bring any animal, dog, cat, bird, you name it, into your life only to let him spend most of his time bored and lonely.

There will come a time when it's the right time to bring another cat, or dog into your life. But maybe not just now. .

Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I agree that a pet is a huge, lifetime commitment and they take a lot of time on our part to really have the kind of relationship both parties deserve. I see it all the time where a young person gets their first apartment and suddenly has to have a pet to go with it because they had one at home. Then the person wants to do other things and the pet starts getting pushed into a corner. We get them sometimes here where the person moves out and simply puts the cat out to fend for himself. That is how we found Daisy, we suspect.

Better to take the kitty back while he is young enough to be a desirable adoption and let someone with more time and commitment give him a new home.

Don

Old 04-19-2014, 05:28 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Yes, return him, while he's still young. Waiting won't make it easier.

Wondering if you described your lifestyle to the rescue people? IF you decide to get a cat, I'd recommend an older one; definitely not a kitten.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:09 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCode View Post
I'm able to play with him for 10-15 minutes twice a day (when I wake up and before going to bed). Problem is that he's not one to run around and chase stuff. He's kind of a lazy player. I'll use the feather on a stick toy and he'll just lie there and try to catch it. Same with a laser pointer. I have found he loves batting balls around the apartment (ones with little bells inside or fuzzy ones), so I'll throw those around and he chases them. I do think he spends most of his day sleeping though when I'm gone.
Yeah, that's really not enough. I have two kittens (siblings) who are about 8 months old (I've had them since they were 3 months old). I also have two adult cats. The kittens play a lot. I would say their active periods are from 4 a.m. to 9 or 10 a.m. They do sleep a lot in late morning/early afternoon but then they're up again by late afternoon into evening. Even my older guys, who sleep more, don't sleep continuously - that's why they call it a "cat nap"! All of them love attention. I agree with the other posters. You should return your kitten to the rescue (I hope it's a no-kill shelter) while he is still young enough to be appealing to potential adopters.

It's good that you are caring enough to be concerned with your kitty's well-being. It sounds like you are a conscientious person but now is not the right time for you to own a pet (a fish maybe, but not a cat or a dog).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats