Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,556 times

Advertisements

My cat is a female, and has always been an indoor cat. Just today, we noticed that she was foaming out the mouth and occasionaly she will kind of "spazz" out. She starts jumping and looking around like something is after her. She has never been outside, so nothing could have bitten her. Although we do have many plants in the house. We thought maybe she got into one. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,983,496 times
I can't even guess. Has she seen a vet about this?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,684,590 times
My male cat will do that, the females - not so much.

How old is your cat?
Do you have any cat nip in the house?
How long does the behavior last?
Have you googled poisonous plants for cats?

Just because your cat doesn't go outside, that doesn't mean the outside things can't come in, like spiders.

The Humane Society usually has lots of helpful hints about cat behavior and other resources but mentioning to your vet is really best as he knows your pet. Nobody on a public forum can do what your vet can regarding diagnosing medical problems.

Keep us updated and best of luck to both of you!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 PM

11,280 posts, read 19,628,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGrace View Post
My cat is a female, and has always been an indoor cat. Just today, we noticed that she was foaming out the mouth and occasionaly she will kind of "spazz" out. She starts jumping and looking around like something is after her. She has never been outside, so nothing could have bitten her. Although we do have many plants in the house. We thought maybe she got into one. Please help!
An indoor cat who has not been given any medication, foaming at the mouth has most likely eaten something poison. Please get her to the vet immediately.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,164 times
Our young cat came inside about a forty minutes ago moaning and groaning and foaming at the mouth. Naturally, we were concerned. But it didn't take long for him to snap out of it. He was just munching on some dry food, and appears to be fine.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,405,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura AGB View Post
Our young cat came inside about a forty minutes ago moaning and groaning and foaming at the mouth. Naturally, we were concerned. But it didn't take long for him to snap out of it. He was just munching on some dry food, and appears to be fine.
Don't it for granted that he's ok. I would take him to the vet and get him checked out as soon as you can. Keep a close eye on him until then. Also, is it possible he got into a fight with another cat? Cats will salivate & drool excessively for a while after a fight.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,722,379 times
Nimbus got a feather from a toy hung in his throat one time and was choking on it. Made him foam up something awful, and he had no intention of letting me get a hold of him and try to help. He'd run, hide, hack and foam...I finally cornered him and managed to get a hold of the wee bit of neon dyed feather that was sticking out and removed it. He was horrendously upset and avoided me until he'd thoroughly recovered his dignity and composure and washed all of his fur twice.

*sigh* It sucks how so many cat toys can be dangerous to cats, in one way or another.

I personally won't dash to the vet for some brief thing that appears to have resolved itself...I would monitor the cat closely, attempt to inspect for any detectable injury, keep it indoors, and if it doesn't repeat itself and all signs are normal (eating, pooping, peeing, sleeping, etc) then I'd assume it was some fleeting incident that the cat has now recovered from. I know the cat may be hiding discomfort, but that's how I would handle it. If it happened again for no reason I could determine, I'd definitely head to the vet though. Make sure you know where there is an emergency vet or somewhere you can go if the cat has an episode in the middle of the night, be on alert.

If you are really concerned about your cat's wellbeing however, it might be advisable not to let it roam outside without a harness/leash or enclosure...there are many dangers in the great outdoors. Your cat could have done anything from eating a nasty bug to something actually poisonous.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,524 times
I live in Salem Missouri. i have a 9week old kitten that got out early this morning . it came back, thank goodness, but its been foaming at the mouth for about 30minutes now and i can't even get it to eat sardines.(favorite food) how long should i wait to take him to the vet?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:25 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,776,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwoolum View Post
I live in Salem Missouri. i have a 9week old kitten that got out early this morning . it came back, thank goodness, but its been foaming at the mouth for about 30minutes now and i can't even get it to eat sardines.(favorite food) how long should i wait to take him to the vet?
Hopefully the kitten is better by now but if not take it to the vet today.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,367 times
I am so thankful for this thread. I know it's old but I just wanted to tell y'all that your information was VERY helpful. It's quite frightening to find your dear kitty foaming madly at the mouth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats