Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 05:47 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times

Advertisements

Has anybody seen any indication that the Beni Kedem Shriners are willing to sell their property? If so, where are they going to go? In the past, they have turned down every offer that have been made for their property.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:05 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Has anybody seen any indication that the Beni Kedem Shriners are willing to sell their property? If so, where are they going to go? In the past, they have turned down every offer that have been made for their property.
According to the piece by WCHS (which is the only thing I've seen), "sources" say the Shriners are looking at possible ways to develop their property. It also mentions Mayor Jones has met with developers and realtors about the property, but couldn't give any details. Beyond that, crickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 07:28 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,114,480 times
That fact that the Shriners have even considered developing their land is a huge step because they have been the thorn in Charleston's flesh for years in regards to selling that property! I want something there so bad, but would be the first person to criticize a poor choice of development, such as a small hotel. If the rumors of 160 employees is true, then we should expect something larger than what we currently have which would be amazing!!!

I don't expect Sears to go anywhere, but if they did we simply can't let the space sit empty. Even if it is dividing it up into multiple things. If Sears does stay and commits long term, I think they should consider an exterior makeover.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:27 PM

778 posts, read 796,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
That fact that the Shriners have even considered developing their land is a huge step because they have been the thorn in Charleston's flesh for years in regards to selling that property! I want something there so bad, but would be the first person to criticize a poor choice of development, such as a small hotel. If the rumors of 160 employees is true, then we should expect something larger than what we currently have which would be amazing!!!

I don't expect Sears to go anywhere, but if they did we simply can't let the space sit empty. Even if it is dividing it up into multiple things. If Sears does stay and commits long term, I think they should consider an exterior makeover.
The problem for Sears has been a soft vs. hard issue. Washing machines, lawn mowers, tools etc., have always sold well while their clothes, shoes, accessories and the like have been seen as "we also have these while you are looking for your new grill," items. Lowes has been biting into the Sears niche on home mechanicals and frankly, Lowes does a better job of it because it packages its washing machines with the tile that goes on the floor and the paint that goes on the wall and not the dress or the suit being worn as the laundry is done.

A year ago when Chris brought this up and caused me to do some digging I was not on the Sears is dying step but I am now. Sears bought Kmart to stave off a loss in market share but it was a sleight of hand and I think it has hurt them more in the long run. I have asked myself, if there was no Sears would my life be impacted? No. If there were no Sears would the lives of my family be impacted? No. I have not shopped at Sears for anything since the mid-1990's - twenty years!

For those in this thread, when was the last time you bought something at the Sears store and not from Sears.com?

Old 02-29-2016, 02:21 PM

All three these projects are a huge need and will help generate economic activity for the city!

Old 02-29-2016, 02:34 PM

778 posts, read 796,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
All three these projects are a huge need and will help generate economic activity for the city!
I never understand how UC stays solvent. It has an accounting ledger that runs crimson annually. After 2 or 3 years some anonymous donor steps and forks over a couple of million to balance the books and they are good for another 2 or 3 years. While I am not privileged to their inner workings, those that are, also wonder how this university stays afloat. The few times I have been involved with an event there, those of the university come across like this whole affair is some sort of social climbing mechanism.

I would never recommend UC as a choice to go to school because of their instructor/student parameters. UC charges a very high tuition but does not teach. You enroll in a course, pay an almost stupid fee even for instate and then you get your book for the course. On day 1, the instructors says these are the test dates and due assignments - good luck. The student then teaches themselves, there is almost no class room interaction related to the course - any course.

I took some extra classes at Bridge Valley - then KVCTC - to further my masters and my instructor was a grad from UC in Sociology. She was as dumb as a box of rocks. Whenever I think of UC I think of that fashion university Elle Woods goes to in Legally Blond - all style, no substance.

Best thing that could happen to UC would be if it finally went under and WVU bought it.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:22 PM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Tamarack artists headed for former Staats Hospital

Old 03-10-2016, 06:02 AM

82 posts, read 120,497 times
Construction began this week on Pioneer Credit Union's new headquarters on the Boulevard at the old Marvin Mid-Town Motel site. Fences are up, "future home" banners are up, equipment is in, and they've begun digging. No link, just my own observations.

Also, the city is looking at allowing projecting signs for storefronts in the downtown core area, with some limitations. Projecting signs have been banned wholesale for a long time -- Firestone had to get a special waiver to re-mount its historic neon signs after they were refurbished a few years ago. Allowing these types of signs again should give the area a more character and make it more pedestrian-friendly.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Blade signs may return to downtown Charleston

Old 03-10-2016, 06:27 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,662 times
Along with the blade signs, CURA is looking to update their comprehensive renewal plans for the West Side and Downtown:

Charleston Gazette-Mail | CURA to update downtown, West Side revival plans for first time since 1985
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston