Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 AM

778 posts, read 794,879 times

Advertisements

I have my own recognition for improving the West Side; refer to it as it was originally know: Elk City

There is a lot of stigma attached to the name West Side and the name suggests everything from North Charleston to the Elk River - well beyond the scope of CURA's plans.

Elk City would focus on a dozen or so blocks and provide a distinct identity from West Side, even though it is still on the West Side. We see this in the reputation of Edgewood and Cato Park - also on the West Side, but not generally thought of us in the same way.

I also strongly support the elimination of one way streets in the focus area. Many people and I many people hit the bars downtown and when they close they 'race' down Washington, over Elk River and through the West Side. Rush hour traffic does the same thing.

There was a time when Charleston needed high flow arteries when the city had more than 80,000 people living in it and double that worked downtown. Today's demands are half that if not less.

I often thought this part of town has too many streets. I have always thought a proper shopping center was needed on the West Side and I think a good location is obvious there.

There are seven blocks that have little on them. This block is bound by Pennsylvania Ave, Tennessee Ave, Lee Street and Randolph Street. If all of the streets inside those boundaries were eliminated and that entire footprint unified a large shopping center could be placed there. There are some active business inside this footprint but only the two gas stations and Wesbanco have any real property development. Most of it is rundown or abandoned housing.

If all of this razed. The two service stations could be retained since they are on opposing corners and even Wes Banco might stay in its location. The rest would be bulldozed. The key would be to get some retail anchors in there. One of the main problems in the CBD that works against downtown residential demand is a proper grocer. The current Kroger on Delaware is small and sits in the middle of a crime ridden area. A new, larger Kroger sitting on Pennsylvania avenue might be more appealing to downtown shoppers. But Kroger alone would not be enough and the shopping center can't compete with the efforts on Washington Street as simply moving the pieces around does not expand the area.

If Kroger Co. balks at building a new location, let them know you will talk to Walmart in that case. A Walmart downtown would kill Kroger. If you can get a Walmart you can get a Lowes. Then you have people wanting to be there and the problem solves itself.

Once this took place, the population dynamic of the area here would begin to change. I think this is a batter path forward than prettying up buildings and laying down new sidewalks. Of course real change is hard but the effort is always rewarded. Lipstick on a pig is the current plan and it is doomed to failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:30 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Great article about the up and coming Elk City Business District on the West Side. We have seen some amazing improvement to that part of town as several new businesses have opened in recent days and several buildings are being converted into mixed use.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Businesses, revitalization coming to Elk City district

Old 03-20-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Great article about the up and coming Elk City Business District on the West Side. We have seen some amazing improvement to that part of town as several new businesses have opened in recent days and several buildings are being converted into mixed use.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Businesses, revitalization coming to Elk City district

One section of that article is rather scary. The plan is to convert the 3rd and 4th floor of Staats Hospital into apartments - yikes! I sure would not live there. This is like building a camp site in the middle of a Civil War cemetery! Staats is a very old hospital and one can only guess how many men, women and children died on the property - especially those floors. Thanks but no thanks, way too haunted for me to think twice about it. I was in this building two years ago when the work started on it and the atmosphere was beyond creepy then. The air was still, heavy and suffocating up there. You expected to turn around and find someone standing next to you. I can't imagine living there.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
One section of that article is rather scary. The plan is to convert the 3rd and 4th floor of Staats Hospital into apartments - yikes! I sure would not live there. This is like building a camp site in the middle of a Civil War cemetery! Staats is a very old hospital and one can only guess how many men, women and children died on the property - especially those floors. Thanks but no thanks, way too haunted for me to think twice about it. I was in this building two years ago when the work started on it and the atmosphere was beyond creepy then. The air was still, heavy and suffocating up there. You expected to turn around and find someone standing next to you. I can't imagine living there.
didn't think about that, now you have me freaked out! haha

Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 AM

Work is about to get started on rebuilding and upgrading the walkway between Capitol St and the Bus Terminal. "Slack Plaza" and "The Brawley Walkway" are being transformed into a central connector for the CBD. The upgrades that will be made will be far more inviting to pedestrians than the current (sketchy) configuration that is there now. This is one part of a 2 phase project that will redevelop the section between the Bus Terminal and the Town Center Mall as well. When complete, This section will be a major improvement in the ongoing effort to bring shops and ding back to this part of the city. The connection between Capitol St., the Mall, and ultimately the Civic Center will create a corridor of pedestrian activity, showcases of urban art, a true downtown green space, a modern and eco-friendly bus terminal, and hopefully new restaurants and stores. Currently under renovation is the B&B Loans building right beside this project. They haven't announced any tenants yet, but rumors are out thee that at least one retail/restaurant is going on the bottom floor, and offices on the top floors.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Charleston moves forward on project to link mall to Capitol Street

Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Work is about to get started on rebuilding and upgrading the walkway between Capitol St and the Bus Terminal. "Slack Plaza" and "The Brawley Walkway" are being transformed into a central connector for the CBD. The upgrades that will be made will be far more inviting to pedestrians than the current (sketchy) configuration that is there now. This is one part of a 2 phase project that will redevelop the section between the Bus Terminal and the Town Center Mall as well. When complete, This section will be a major improvement in the ongoing effort to bring shops and ding back to this part of the city. The connection between Capitol St., the Mall, and ultimately the Civic Center will create a corridor of pedestrian activity, showcases of urban art, a true downtown green space, a modern and eco-friendly bus terminal, and hopefully new restaurants and stores. Currently under renovation is the B&B Loans building right beside this project. They haven't announced any tenants yet, but rumors are out thee that at least one retail/restaurant is going on the bottom floor, and offices on the top floors.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Charleston moves forward on project to link mall to Capitol Street

Chris,

What do you think of this path forward for this area? I have mixed ideas about where this is going and I am not convinced that the current plan is the best plan. As a valued voice on this forum, what would you do if the power was yours to decide?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Chris,

What do you think of this path forward for this area? I have mixed ideas about where this is going and I am not convinced that the current plan is the best plan. As a valued voice on this forum, what would you do if the power was yours to decide?
Valued Voice? Thanks, that is a better compliment than my mother would have given LOL

Personally I like the effort, but I would take it a step further. I love that we are utilizing some of the buildings now along that corridor including the B&B Loans Building, but I can think of two structures I'd like to see leveled and new buildings built in their place. One being the one story "strip mall" that runs along the stretch between the mall and transit mall. It currently features a Mexican Restaurant, Sushi place, travel agency, and maybe one more business. If I had the means to do something with it, I'd tear it down and build one of the following:

A) Build a 5-8 floor mixed use building with commercial tenants/residential or office space on the top floors.

B) Move Park Place Cinemas to a new facility in this spot, along with a lazier-tag/bowling/arcade/simulators/etc...

I think that would help bring people back to this part of town and would ultimately generate more people wanting to live downtown again.

The second building I'd replace is the "People's Building" that sits at the corner of Summers and Lee. The taller one that is right beside Slack Plaza. I'd either remove this building and encourage a new high rise office building (which is likely not to happen) or have this building expanded to the SW and remodel the whole exterior of this building.

These are just my thoughts.

I certainly want to see this project take off, but I want to see it done right. A key also is having a police presence there 24/7 and moving the bus station down the street so that people don't have to walk right through it. This will all be for nothing if it's not an inviting place.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Valued Voice? Thanks, that is a better compliment than my mother would have given LOL

Personally I like the effort, but I would take it a step further. I love that we are utilizing some of the buildings now along that corridor including the B&B Loans Building, but I can think of two structures I'd like to see leveled and new buildings built in their place. One being the one story "strip mall" that runs along the stretch between the mall and transit mall. It currently features a Mexican Restaurant, Sushi place, travel agency, and maybe one more business. If I had the means to do something with it, I'd tear it down and build one of the following:

A) Build a 5-8 floor mixed use building with commercial tenants/residential or office space on the top floors.

B) Move Park Place Cinemas to a new facility in this spot, along with a lazier-tag/bowling/arcade/simulators/etc...

I think that would help bring people back to this part of town and would ultimately generate more people wanting to live downtown again.

The second building I'd replace is the "People's Building" that sits at the corner of Summers and Lee. The taller one that is right beside Slack Plaza. I'd either remove this building and encourage a new high rise office building (which is likely not to happen) or have this building expanded to the SW and remodel the whole exterior of this building.

These are just my thoughts.

I certainly want to see this project take off, but I want to see it done right. A key also is having a police presence there 24/7 and moving the bus station down the street so that people don't have to walk right through it. This will all be for nothing if it's not an inviting place.
At one time, in the very beginning, that strip between the mall and the transit center, there was a proposal for a mixed use condo-retail 12-story tower called Promenade Place. I think what killed it was the projected unit price for even a small condo. But, this was way back when the idea of executive suites was not known. Now, the many companies such as the law firms in Laidley Tower would welcome such a facility.

As for the People's Building...

I proposed to a few well-placed friends in the business about ten years ago that the best use for that building as a mixed use condo. If you use google maps and take the sat view you can follow along with my proposal:

The main tower is eight floors, with an attached 9 floor service tower that permits roof access.

There is a 2 floor wing that fronts on Lee Street.

The main tower fronts on Summers street with a fairly nice lobby area in the middle. To either side are 4 small retail/commercial suites that are one floor in height. The Lee Street wing is a single unit at this time. Behind the main tower are two connected parking lots. The one immediately behind the main tower has room for 30 cars and the other one has room for 24 cars. The Stop-N-Rob Mart that is slated to be a police station is in the furthest corner.

There is a small two floor extension off of the main tower that extends into the parking lot along the back edge.

Now for the new usages:

The main tower ground floor on Summers Street is already subdivided well and the existing tenants seem stable. But even those rotate out for new ones, the set up is fine for them.

The second floor of the main tower is already set up as office space but it is Class C I believe and could be updated to Class B.

Floors 3 through 8 would be a combination of 1, 2 and 2+ units. If for example the 3rd floor was all 2 units, it has a foot print that can accommodate 4 such units per side of the building for a total of 8 on that floor. More than likely, there would be 2 units on the ends and singles in the middle of the building and that would bring the total units per floor to 10. On the top floor you might do something a bit different and make 2 2+ units on either end and then fill in the middle with more single units. This building could build out to 66 units:

Floors 3 - 7 would host 4 double units and 6 singles
Floor 8 would host just 2 of the double plus units that would spread from side-to-side on each end. Next to these would be 4 single units and this would leave a large section in the middle that could be condo gathering space that also flows from side-to-side.

The Lee Street wing would be comprised of a boutique grocer. I do not see someone like Kroger coming in, but you might find interest in FasChek, Smith Value or even GoMart. GoMart has tried to buy their way into the CBD for years and this might be the chance for them to do so. I know it does not sound all that grand but this is not about being grand; it is about being practical and servicing the needs of the condo residents as well as the work-hour folks downtown.

The second floor of the Lee Street wing would have the option of being set up as additional Class B office space if there was demand and if not, condo services like flex-offices, meeting spaces for the Class B offices or even a small gym facility for resident and commercial use. The back edge of the main tower has a second floor and it is there that I would locate the condo management.

Parking is a bit trickier.

All of the existing open-air parking spaces would be incorporated into a 3 floor garage. It would be set back from the building with a ten foot or so clearance between the garage and the main structure except along the back edge of the main tower, where it would merge. On the roof top of the garage would be a green space with perhaps a small pool and or Jacuzzi area.

The new police station could use part of the garage for their needs as well. The grocer would have covered parking and delivery. The only general parking though would be on the ground floor. Resident parking would be exclusively on the 3rd and the second floor would be for the commercial use to support the Class B offices and main floor suite tenants.

Is there a market for this building? I would say so after seeing what has taken place in the old Kyle Furniture building behind the ball park. I have no idea what the price point would be, but it would be north of 1,000 per month for the small units since that is the going price for the Lowenstein Building on Capitol Street. But the tower would be comprised of rental and purchase units. Some of the prices listed in the property by the ball park are quit high to me, ~350,000. But, perhaps there are those that think nothing of that price point. With roughly 66 units, large areas of retail and the city spending a couple of million dollars to pretty up Slack Plaza right next door, it might be worth it for some.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:32 AM

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20...t-improvements

Old 04-15-2016, 05:20 PM

Complete waste of money but hey, they are trying something. Charleston has no idea how urban development is supposed to evolve even if they do pay a lot of money to "expert" research organizations who make it their business to know these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston