Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 09:38 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times

Advertisements

I am having trouble fully conceptualizing success for this project. At first I was relatively optimistic, but the more I think about it the less likely I see it coming to fruition. In the last year we have seen another hotel proposal loose momentum (Holly Hotel site) and it was in a much better location IMO. I see where they are seeing potential, but I can't image this going forward. Especially with two hotels just an ear shot away struggling. And they are just as close to the hospital/ballpark and closer to downtown and the Clay Center. Not to forget they are literally right off the interstate.

Maybe my mind will change when I hear some more details.

We also can't forget about rumors of a new Civic Center hotel pooping up. Charleston is a great city, but there is no way on earth downtown can support anymore higher-end hotels at this time if that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:04 PM

778 posts, read 797,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I am having trouble fully conceptualizing success for this project. At first I was relatively optimistic, but the more I think about it the less likely I see it coming to fruition. In the last year we have seen another hotel proposal loose momentum (Holly Hotel site) and it was in a much better location IMO. I see where they are seeing potential, but I can't image this going forward. Especially with two hotels just an ear shot away struggling. And they are just as close to the hospital/ballpark and closer to downtown and the Clay Center. Not to forget they are literally right off the interstate.

Maybe my mind will change when I hear some more details.

We also can't forget about rumors of a new Civic Center hotel pooping up. Charleston is a great city, but there is no way on earth downtown can support anymore higher-end hotels at this time if that happens.

Chris we are on the same page with this. If the Best Western and the Fairfield Inn can't make it work in a better location than how can what can only be described as a rent-a-bed make it happen. it sounds like they want a property that only caters to sport visitors but honestly do any over night baseball fans come to see the game? I don't think anyone stays all night for baseball games.

I think the project study is very flawed or we are not getting the total word. As I said earlier, I used to own property down here and trust me when I saw this place is like the Walking Dead after sundown. You see pale, lifeless figures shambling in the shadows down there all night. When a game lets out it seems ok because there is safety in numbers but 30 minutes once the last group has walked out of the park, the place gets creepy. Same goes for CAMC, you park on a video garage with 24 hour security and you pull out of that garage and practically onto the on ramp for the interstate or onto Washington St.

I think the solution is obvious, the Best Western is making a small profit, leave it alone but the state should purchase the Fairfield Inn property, which is in bankruptcy and convert it into much needed office spaces. One hotel could then blossom there.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Chris we are on the same page with this. If the Best Western and the Fairfield Inn can't make it work in a better location than how can what can only be described as a rent-a-bed make it happen. it sounds like they want a property that only caters to sport visitors but honestly do any over night baseball fans come to see the game? I don't think anyone stays all night for baseball games.

I think the project study is very flawed or we are not getting the total word. As I said earlier, I used to own property down here and trust me when I saw this place is like the Walking Dead after sundown. You see pale, lifeless figures shambling in the shadows down there all night. When a game lets out it seems ok because there is safety in numbers but 30 minutes once the last group has walked out of the park, the place gets creepy. Same goes for CAMC, you park on a video garage with 24 hour security and you pull out of that garage and practically onto the on ramp for the interstate or onto Washington St.

I think the solution is obvious, the Best Western is making a small profit, leave it alone but the state should purchase the Fairfield Inn property, which is in bankruptcy and convert it into much needed office spaces. One hotel could then blossom there.
I think major work needs to be done to the Best Western/Fairfield property in order to make it an attractive hotel/conference center. Exterior renovation for starters would boost the property tremendously. The storefronts along Washington Street look straight out of 1960 and that terrible paint job is making a bad first impression for people getting off the highway and visiting the city. I like your idea of consolidating the property into one hotel and maybe mixed use with apartments and office space. But again, nobody is going to be interested in doing anything with it as long as it looks like a relic.

On another note, if a lot of attention is being given to the Smith/Morris Street area for redevelopment, then why not go ahead and develop the old Kroger lot as well. With the current parking layout, there is enough room there for a 20,000sq ft. building. That would make a great ALDI. Then, the city needs to pressure Pugh Furniture into cleaning up their lot and building (it truly is a mess). There is also potential for another "something" beside of my proposed ALDI in the adjacent lot/parking area. Of course then the city would need to do some sidewalk upgrades and encourage the development of the Charmco Building. I see potential for that area, but the city and business owners are going to have to get serious.

Also, I wounder if with the recent success of the WV Power will continue.?. If it keeps up for 3-4 more years maybe the Power could receive an upgrade in class to AA. Success will brig fans out, and more fans will grab attention to the Pirates organization. Just some thoughts.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:44 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,154,088 times
It would be nice to see some developments close to the ballpark since we've all been waiting years for the area around the ballpark to transform. However, I do agree with previous posts that the Charleston market might not be able to support another hotel.

In regards to the State buying the Fairfield Inn property, the State doesn't have the money to do that right now. The budget deficit is very large and there is a severe lack of faith in the idiots currently occupying the legislative seats being able to fix it. More than likely the State is in for some very lean years to come. Then again the citizens voted for this mess so they have no one else to blame at the moment.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
It would be nice to see some developments close to the ballpark since we've all been waiting years for the area around the ballpark to transform. However, I do agree with previous posts that the Charleston market might not be able to support another hotel.

In regards to the State buying the Fairfield Inn property, the State doesn't have the money to do that right now. The budget deficit is very large and there is a severe lack of faith in the idiots currently occupying the legislative seats being able to fix it. More than likely the State is in for some very lean years to come. Then again the citizens voted for this mess so they have no one else to blame at the moment.
Well, to be fair the budget deficit is from the significant fall of revenues from the coal and gas industries. Which of course can be attributed to federal regulation and abundance of natural gas. The problem has been that the state's economy has been one dimensional setting up a catastrophic scenario when the war on coal started (which was inevitable even without the liberal epa). But you are extremely right in that the state gov. will have to shrink tremendously in order to meet a budget, and state-sponsored economic projects will halt as a result. And private initiative is always better than the state putting their dirty hands into development anyways.

As for the Fairfield property, it is going to take a developer with serious ambitions to revive that building(s). I will personally cheer lead for mixed use development everyday of the week! I am a fan of the concept and feel that Charleston's future depends on it. Bringing young people into the city, attracting new business, and creating a modern living atmosphere will keep the city ticking. The generation of "Charleston-Past" is dying off and the city will be left with nobody unless we do a better job of making the transition into a 21st century city. Looking at the model other cities have taken in bringing housing downtown, Charleston developers and planners can start to create the framework for a healthy downtown economy.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:48 PM

146 posts, read 166,898 times
why hasn't anybody mentioned converting the Charmco Building into a Boutique Hotel? The Kimpton Hotel chain just converted an old rundown records storage warehouse in downtown Pittsburgh into a Kimpton and now that whole section of town that was previously deserted has blossomed. It is now considered one of the hippest hotels in town. It has a rooftop beer garden overlooking the city.....the same could be done with the Charmco Building. I can't believe this Pittsburgh developer hasn't latched onto that idea.

The former Heart O Town hotels should concentrate on CAMC and Clay center business. Remodel and convert one to condos and the other to a more upscale presence. Even incorporate the name of the Clay Center into the hotel's name. Many hotels next to hospitals and performing arts centers do this.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:05 PM

778 posts, read 797,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Well, to be fair the budget deficit is from the significant fall of revenues from the coal and gas industries. Which of course can be attributed to federal regulation and abundance of natural gas. The problem has been that the state's economy has been one dimensional setting up a catastrophic scenario when the war on coal started (which was inevitable even without the liberal epa). But you are extremely right in that the state gov. will have to shrink tremendously in order to meet a budget, and state-sponsored economic projects will halt as a result. And private initiative is always better than the state putting their dirty hands into development anyways.

As for the Fairfield property, it is going to take a developer with serious ambitions to revive that building(s). I will personally cheer lead for mixed use development everyday of the week! I am a fan of the concept and feel that Charleston's future depends on it. Bringing young people into the city, attracting new business, and creating a modern living atmosphere will keep the city ticking. The generation of "Charleston-Past" is dying off and the city will be left with nobody unless we do a better job of making the transition into a 21st century city. Looking at the model other cities have taken in bringing housing downtown, Charleston developers and planners can start to create the framework for a healthy downtown economy.

I bow to your vision Chris. A mixed use of the Fairfield building might be worthy of exploration. The problem with a re-do on the exterior is that both properties had one just 7 years ago. A lack of vision or a lack of money has to be the cause of such a bland make over.

Sitting here mulling the idea of a mixed use there. Hmmm...

I think if you really wanted to make a mixed use property here, you have to go back to the past.

I would reconnect the two properties into one by re-installing some of the flying bridges - say only on levels 1 through 3. This would force the suppression of the alley way between them.

The Best Western is actually laid out better to be condo development than is the Fairfield building because balconies can be added to the Best Western building and those a must in downtown living.

The ground floor of the Best Western is pretty much a window-less slab of concrete all around. This is good for a sense of security and privacy not so much for a hotel lobby that usually hosts a café on the ground floor.

The existing side of the Best Western where the pool is located could be fully built out eliminating the asphalt area to create a fitness center on the ground floor and a reconstruction or modernization of the existing pool - perhaps with a flexible seasonal canopy.

The open air parking lots have to go. Neither hotel guests nor residents see any value in having to clear snow or slog across a rainy parking lot at the end of the day. The area behind the Best Western would serve as the template. A 3-level garage there is going to hold 140-150 cars and would join directly to backside of the hotel and fitness expansion. This would also provide a covered transit way off of Shrewsberry St and into the guest drop off behind the Fairfield Inn. Carrying this garage straight across to Lewis St would add another 160 - 180 car spaces but the second floor abutment that backs on the Best Western would end just after it meets with the Fairfield Inn, so that a climate controlled gallery is formed from the garage to the hotel's second floor.

The remain area behind the garage that extends back to the east-west portion of Lewis St, could be sold off. That property has some serious market value and might help to offset re-development costs.

The ground floor fitness center in the Best Western side could be leased to one of the major fitness chains like Anytime Fitness that runs 24 hour centers. Residents and hotel Guests would get a free pass to the facility, but with the attached garage and pool, city residents living downtown might decide to use this location.

The main floor lobby of the Fairfield Inn would certainly have a café of some sort and I would try to lure First Watch off of Summers St to this location. It is a national chain and they close at 2-3 pm which would not interfere with room service orders or an on-site eatery that the hotel might wish to operate.

While this would be a serious redevelopment of the two sites, I don't think there is a lot of construction here or money involved. The parking garage would be the big expense and construction need and they are far cheaper to add than say a wing to a hotel. The rooms in Best Western would need to be reconfigured as 1 and 2 bedroom units but that is not a huge issue for these types of buildings where the interior walls are not load bearing.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 AM

82 posts, read 120,582 times
Speak of the devil. Some more news on the Best Western/Capitol Hotels came down in today's paper. Both hotels have been sold again (not really surprising, since the interim owner was just the foreclosing bank). The Capitol/Fairfield side will be completely renovated and branded as a Wyndham Garden, including event space and a restaurant/bar. The article mentions that improvements will be made to the Best Western also, but didn't specify.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Charleston Capitol, Best Western hotels get new owners, again

Old 05-19-2016, 08:22 AM

You beat me to it

This is positive news, but I hope that they make significant enough changes to make a difference. With the Clay Center being right there, you have potential for attracting events that could utilize both the Clay Center's facilities as well as the hotel's. Also maybe one day we will see a new library and that space can be utilized as well.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 AM

82 posts, read 120,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
why hasn't anybody mentioned converting the Charmco Building into a Boutique Hotel? The Kimpton Hotel chain just converted an old rundown records storage warehouse in downtown Pittsburgh into a Kimpton and now that whole section of town that was previously deserted has blossomed. It is now considered one of the hippest hotels in town. It has a rooftop beer garden overlooking the city.....the same could be done with the Charmco Building. I can't believe this Pittsburgh developer hasn't latched onto that idea.
This is a grand idea. The interior of the CharmCo building is odd, though, in that it has absolutely massive support columns every 8-10 feet or so. Maybe that could be worked around/incorporated though, with an enterprising enough architect. I can confirm that the view from the front windows and the roof (over the ballpark and toward downtown) are phenomenal. There is apparently an interested potential buyer (the owner of Spa Bliss) so who knows what plans are afoot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston