Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 AM

600 posts, read 2,260,155 times

Advertisements

I think it's only fair that VW hire from Chattanooga first. The city and county gave them a huge tax break to get them to build the plant here, so now it's their turn to return the favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM

65 posts, read 189,506 times
I agree it's great that VW plans to hire locally...but don't hate those of us that are moving to Chattanooga from out of state for VW! No Ohio or Michigan flags from us, though. We do represent the Big Ten though. U of Iowa! Go Hawkeyes!!

My husband has been busy with his job there...however he has spent VERY LITTLE time in Chattnooga so far. They have had him in Germany and Detroit most of the time.

We have yet to sell our house in KY. Kids and I are staying with family in Texas while we wait. Getting annoyed and anxious. Ready to get settled in Chattanooga! I didn't think it would take us this long. Oh well!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,785 times
I just posted this link in another thread, but it appears applicable here too. Here is a link to zoning maps for all of Hamilton County. Ooltewah is one of the better high schools in the area, especially now that the new East Hamilton HS is open and Ooltewah isn't so overcrowded. This zone is generally east and south-east of the plant. The plant itself is in Tyner, and most of the surrounding area south of the River is in the "Central" zone, neither of which are considered to be very good. If good public schools are your primary goal in a location, then stick to the Ooltewah/Collegedale/Apison area.

I'm not familiar with schools in neighboring Bradley county, which would be a relatively short drive east on Hwy 11.

Silverdale Baptist is a highly-rated K-12 parochial school located very near the plant. Most of the high-end "prep" high schools are located near or in downtown Chattanooga.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
... The plant itself is in Tyner, and most of the surrounding area south of the River is in the "Central" zone, neither of which are considered to be very good...
Oops... sorry about posting bad information. I was thinking of somewhere else. Tyner Academy of Math, Science, and Technology and Tyner Middle Academy of MST are actually two of the Lottery-based magnet schools that also have zoned students, and is a good school. See HCDE Magnet (http://www.hcde.org/site/schools/magnet_schools/default.aspx - broken link) for more information. Most of the Tyner HS zone is the same as the Bess T. Shepard Elementary.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye75 View Post
What and where are these "great areas in TN" that we should look at? That is what I am having problems finding. I need specifics! We are looking at houses around $200,000. Would like a flat yard as we have a dog and two young children. Good elementary school is a top priority! Specifics please...neighborhoods/subdivision names especially!!!! Thanks! I keep reading to that there are great areas in TN and to look in TN (because of taxes, etc) but I can't get any specifics! Thanks for any info you may have!
Perhaps you've found your new home, but just in case... I'd like to throw out some possibilites in East Brainerd:

150k to 225k --- Quail Run (off Standifer Gap Rd.) and Yorktown Estates also off Standifer. These are established neighborhoods with well-built, attractive homes. Also, there are several neighborhoods across Standifer Gap (Shenandoah, Hickory Ridge and Holly Hills). Standifer Gap divides the elem. school zones between Westview and Apison, both great (and new) schools. I believe Holly Hills residents are zoned for East Brainerd Elementary. Also, there is Hurricane Creek which has a wider range of home styles and prices.

225k to 350k --- Bellieu Woods and Brandermill and Hurricane Creek... also Georgetown and a little neighborhood which I find quite attractive called Ray Jo Estates. All the above are off Morris Hill Rd., and I believe all are zoned for Westview.

250k to 650k (and up) --- Emerald Valley, Mountain Shadows, Forest Shadows, Shadow Ridge, Windstone (partially in GA and TN... you'll have to consider GA income taxes). Thornberry, off Ooltewah-Ringgold Rd. in Collegedale is also a possibility. There's also Hidden Lakes and Mulberry.

There is also Council Fire, located off Julian Rd., which runs south from E. Brainerd Rd.. Part of Council Fire is in GA.

Plus, there are lots of small ("pocket") neighborhoods scattered about the area. One that you may find interesting is Stonehenge which has about 200 homes situated along a ridge overlooking Jenkins Rd. and Old Lee Highway near Exit 7 of I-75. I believe it is in the Chattanooga city limit, but don't know its school zone (e. Brainerd elem.???).

Anyway, I hope you find this helpful.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM

Shinestx-
Thank you for the info! No we haven't found our new home yet. Still waiting on the sell of our home in KY. Just did another price reduction so hoping that will do the trick. I will check out the areas you suggested here! Thanks again for the specifics!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 59,721 times
How do people get jobs from places that don't exist yet?

Is the person giving the interview also make believe?

Seriously, how do you do it?

VW says 2,000 jobs or so but we already have 20,000 with a job already...something is strange with this...

Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaSucks View Post
How do people get jobs from places that don't exist yet?
Is the person giving the interview also make believe?
Seriously, how do you do it?
VW says 2,000 jobs or so but we already have 20,000 with a job already...something is strange with this...
When large corporations open a new factory/office they usually fill transfer positions first. People who already work for the company apply internally for certain positions, usually long before the general public is able to apply. This ensures that a core group of employees are experienced in the company policies. When my wife's firm opened a field office in Chattanooga they transferred three employees from within the company, then hired a dozen or so locally. We knew about the job transfer and were researching houses and schools about 6 months before the office opened, 8 months before we actually moved, and about a year before they hired any locals. I assure you, the person interviewing my wife was not "make believe", nor did he live on a mountain.

I'd love to know where you get that 20,000 number...

Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 AM

VW has been filling the professional positions for several months now. The engineers, HR personel, administration, management etc. Those people have to be in place BEFORE the production staff is hired. There are not 20,000 people that are already working there. That's silly. There are engineers who have been working for the company since this summer getting the equipment designed, etc. That has to be done production can begin.

We aren't make believe, I promise My husband is a mechanical engineer and began working for VW in July He has spent very little time in Chattanooga (on the site or in the temp offices downtown). He has spent most of his time in Germany and Detroit meeting with designers, training, etc.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,319 times
That's right. I've heard German being spoken in stores for 6-9 months now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga