Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 AM

9 posts, read 23,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
That's right. I've heard German being spoken in stores for 6-9 months now.
There is a small German community in Chattanooga already, unrelated to VW. We've been speaking German in stores for years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 AM

7 posts, read 35,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudwalker4 View Post
Can anyone give me the city positives/negatives for Soddy Daisy? We are looking to relocate there within the next few months. My husband has gotten a job with Volkswagen. Moving from Mississippi. Middle and High schools are a priority for us, but we also don't want a huge drive either. Any newer subdivisions in the area? Thanks for any help you can give...
Hi Cloudwalker, Just wondering if you've already reloacted there, as I see your post was from June. My husband is being flown in next week for an interview at Volkswagon for which his recruiter feels he has a good chance of getting -- whicih is good since he's been out of work since march!

So if -- God willing -- this works out for us, we'll be moving south from metro Detroit (glad to get out of the cold) and will be in the same boat as far as house-hunting. Also, how does your hubby like it there, just curious?

** Prayers said, fingers crossed **
Janet14

Old 11-13-2009, 11:49 AM

65 posts, read 189,506 times
Hey Janet...I got your friend request and will accept it now.
Yes, Cloudwalker..has relocated the the area already. They closed on a house in Ooltewah about a month ago or so. She and I have yet to meet in person but are keeping in touch "electronically". I am not sure how much she gets on this site anymore!

Good luck to your husband. Let us know how the interview goes. My husband is enjoying working for VW. He is very busy. Like I said in an earlier post he has spent very little time in Chattanooga. He has spent most of his time in Germany and Detroit. He started the first week of July.

We haven't sold our house yet and I am losing hope. It's frustrating. I am tired of being away from him. In January, if his travel has slowed down, we will go ahead and bite the bullet and get an apartment until the house sells. His temporary housing allowance will run out sometime in January so he will have to do something at that time anyways.

What does your husband do? What job/department is he interviewing for? Randomly my husband works with Cloudwalker's husband so its been fun going through this journey together. I am just anxious to get settled.

Again, good luck to your husband. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Going to go accept your friend invite now...

Old 11-13-2009, 05:32 PM

13 posts, read 47,251 times
Hi janet. I just typed a long reply to u and somehow it went bye bye! Crazy. My email address is swalker13@comcast.net. We are getting situated in our new house in ooltewah. We like it here. My husband is a supervisor over the body dept and really liking his job. I just started working 2 weeks ago at Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Me and hawkeye have been talking since July and can't wait for her to b here! My hubby doesn't travel as much as hers. He did make about 5 trips to Germany bur now mostly goes back and forth to Detroit.

Things are good tho. Just keep the prayers going up. Wish u the best! Keep us posted. I don't get on here much anymore tho. Feel free to email me anytime tho.

Sharon

Old 11-22-2009, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,771 times
Just a quick question, not sure of you or anyone out there might have an answer for us, but at this point we are desperate. Long story short, my husband is a former employee of GM (a production supervisor with an excellent resume and comes highly recommended.
He has applied for a production supervisor position, and has gone through the DDI testing here in Detroit. (That was Nov 5). We have yet to hear anything from VW. Does it take a period of time to be invited for an interview? Or should we just let our hope go. We are overly excited about the thought of moving down to Tennessee, and thanks to General Motors generous (said with extreme sarcasm and disdain) 6 week severance packge that runs out this week,,,and the birth of our 2nd son last week, we are desperate for some normalcy in our lives. Please, if anyone can give us a contact at VW, it would be greatly appreciated. Or even some information about what to expect. HELP!!! I want out of Michigan!

Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 PM

323 posts, read 1,159,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNKaren View Post
Just a quick question, not sure of you or anyone out there might have an answer for us, but at this point we are desperate. Long story short, my husband is a former employee of GM (a production supervisor with an excellent resume and comes highly recommended.
He has applied for a production supervisor position, and has gone through the DDI testing here in Detroit. (That was Nov 5). We have yet to hear anything from VW. Does it take a period of time to be invited for an interview? Or should we just let our hope go. We are overly excited about the thought of moving down to Tennessee, and thanks to General Motors generous (said with extreme sarcasm and disdain) 6 week severance packge that runs out this week,,,and the birth of our 2nd son last week, we are desperate for some normalcy in our lives. Please, if anyone can give us a contact at VW, it would be greatly appreciated. Or even some information about what to expect. HELP!!! I want out of Michigan!
I was wondering what is DDI testing? Good luck!

Old 11-22-2009, 05:34 PM

Hey RNKaren-

I wish you and your husband much luck! Congrats on the birth of your little boy! How exciting...but it sounds like you have a lot of stress right now in your lives! Hang in there.

For us, things moved very quickly...but my husband was hired back in May/June. At that point they werent doing the DDI testing but started doing it shortly after he started his job so it's hard for to estimate how long the process is taking now, especially due to the fact that VW received 65,000 applications for the production jobs that were opened up a month or so ago. I am sure HR is a little "bogged down" right now. I think my husband's expderience as well as the other engineers hired early on moved faster than typically normal.

Did he have any contact with anyone from VW prior to the DDI testing?

I know that when my husband started his last job 6 years ago at another car manufacturer the process took FORVER, so I wouldn't be surprised if the process is taking longer at VW than it was earlier this year when they were first hiring people in.

I don't have any info for you. There probably isn't anything to be done to speed up the process. All you can do is have patience, probably. We have yet to sell our house in KY so I need some patience as well. We haven't been together as a family since June and it is really starting to get to me! Can't do it much longer!

Keep in touch!

I accpeted your friend request.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 21,691 times
Quote:
I was wondering what is DDI testing?
DDI is an international HR and recruiting company that works with many Fortune 500 companies performing training and initial candidate testing. If a person is "DDI approved" after testing, the company DDI is representing usually calls the person in for a face to face final interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye75 View Post
Hey RNKaren-

I wish you and your husband much luck! Congrats on the birth of your little boy! How exciting...but it sounds like you have a lot of stress right now in your lives! Hang in there.

For us, things moved very quickly...but my husband was hired back in May/June. At that point they werent doing the DDI testing but started doing it shortly after he started his job so it's hard for to estimate how long the process is taking now, especially due to the fact that VW received 65,000 applications for the production jobs that were opened up a month or so ago. I am sure HR is a little "bogged down" right now. I think my husband's expderience as well as the other engineers hired early on moved faster than typically normal.

Did he have any contact with anyone from VW prior to the DDI testing?

I know that when my husband started his last job 6 years ago at another car manufacturer the process took FORVER, so I wouldn't be surprised if the process is taking longer at VW than it was earlier this year when they were first hiring people in.

I don't have any info for you. There probably isn't anything to be done to speed up the process. All you can do is have patience, probably. We have yet to sell our house in KY so I need some patience as well. We haven't been together as a family since June and it is really starting to get to me! Can't do it much longer!

Hello Hawkeye -

I'm the infamous husband of RNKaren. She directed me to this site and told me of the conversation, so I thought I'd join in.

First off, congratulations to you and your husband on landing with VW! Always nice to see a glimmer of Hope in this economy.

To answer your question, I did not have any initial contacts within VW. I had not thought I going to cut from GM, and all my contacts were there. I had made it through four other rounds of cuts, and had been transferred to a "safe" position (nice, huh?) when it happened. It caught us totally off guard. Three weeks later, our second son was born. So it has been a very rough rollercoaster of happiness and extreme worry.

I initially filled out the online VW manager/supervisor application in the VW career site a couple of days after my layoff. Unexpectedly, I was soon contacted via DDI for an online assessment because my background was a solid match, and two weeks after that I was brought into a DDI office in Southfield, MI for the five hour last-step-before the phone call interview. Having been through the same process (and almost same interview) with DDI for GM years ago, I felt confident of my performance in the end, and they said I could expect to hear from VW (either way) pretty soon as they felt the company was moving quickly. Well, that was two and a half weeks ago, and no word for a face to face interview in Chattanooga. I've kind of lost that "warm fuzzy feeling" I had early on as DDI was so prompt in their communications with me. But, I understand that with 65,000 recent hourly applicants in the mix that HR could be very buried in bureaucracy at the moment. My wife and I are praying that is the case and that we might hear some good news soon. We have alot riding on it.

Again, congrats on the new career and soon-to-be new home. I can only imagine how badly you and our husband must miss having your family all together. It is a very real thought of mine as well in that wherever I land, be it in Tennessee or the Planet Mars, I'll be moving ahead of my wife and little boys, and that is not an easy pill to swallow at all, but it is a necessary one. God bless, you'll be all together again soon.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:33 PM

DantaAutoGuy-

I will be thinking of you and praying you hear something soon! Hopefully it won't be long now. I am sure at this point you just want to hear either way. I am sure you will hear soon. I hope!

Yes, I am thankful that he has this new job. He was actually "okay" where he was before but there was no opportunity for growth, no chance of bonuses, or raises for years to come. The company he was with hadn't been affected as much as the others but definitely felt the hit! He was expected to put in all the extra OT hours (all weekends, holidays, shut downs, etc) but he was no longer going to be compensated for that extra time. He started looking elsewhere trying to anticipate the future. I am glad he did but feel guilty for those that have been out of work and have yet to find something else.

It's been hard being apart. We have a 4 year old boy and an 11 month old little girl. We have been apart since June so he has missed A HUGE portion of our daughter's first year. He has missed all those firsts (crawling, first tooth, first steps, etc). She has changed so much. It is killing him!

Keep me posted on things!! I am sending some ringing telephone vibes your way!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM

6 posts, read 21,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye75 View Post
DantaAutoGuy-

I will be thinking of you and praying you hear something soon! Hopefully it won't be long now. I am sure at this point you just want to hear either way. I am sure you will hear soon. I hope!

Yes, I am thankful that he has this new job. He was actually "okay" where he was before but there was no opportunity for growth, no chance of bonuses, or raises for years to come. The company he was with hadn't been affected as much as the others but definitely felt the hit! He was expected to put in all the extra OT hours (all weekends, holidays, shut downs, etc) but he was no longer going to be compensated for that extra time. He started looking elsewhere trying to anticipate the future. I am glad he did but feel guilty for those that have been out of work and have yet to find something else.

It's been hard being apart. We have a 4 year old boy and an 11 month old little girl. We have been apart since June so he has missed A HUGE portion of our daughter's first year. He has missed all those firsts (crawling, first tooth, first steps, etc). She has changed so much. It is killing him!

Keep me posted on things!! I am sending some ringing telephone vibes your way!
I can only imagine how the move must be affecting your husband. That same thought hit me the day I realized if I could find work out of state, I would have to leave will Karen stayed back and finished her graduate program (which wont be until August of next year). We have a three year old and now our newborn, so we cannot wait that long for me to get back to being gainfully employed.

When our first was born, GM had me on a 7/12 schedule, including all holidays, for almost an entire year. So, I rarely saw our first little boy either during that time, and that was harder than I can explain. This will be tenfold if it comes through, but we are praying for it daily nonetheless as we are looking to the future instead of the present.

Were still both in shock really over the whole GM thing. We have a multi-generational GM family (Karen's father alone had over 40 years with the company), and to think that it is over and now everything is hanging in the balance is surreal to say the least.

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers. We'll most certainly keep you posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga