Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 07:06 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I am no fan of Kim Foxx at all ( i cannot believe she got re-elected after the Smollett fiasco), but Mr. I unable to come to a budget and costing us billions Rauner? Seriously? Pritzker, who has raised the bond rating in the state saving us $ can do a better job in his sleep. Rauner has to be the worst governor in some time, absent Blago, who was just a corrupt narcisist.
Rauner said no tax increases without reform and the Dems said no reforms leading to a big stand off. Not sure what else he was supposed to do.

Prtizker said sure lets raise taxes and fees. So yea the bond rating went up a bit but like a typical Democrat he made life worse for everyone in the state and exasperated the exodus. As a result, Illinois is now rated the least tax friendly state for the middle class. Well done. I can always count on Dems to make me worse off. Higher taxes, higher crime, less civil liberties (unless you are a criminal or want to abort a fetus).
https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/stat...-families-2021
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 07:49 PM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
This kind of crap drives me straight out of my mind:

16-time convicted felon gets probation for stealing purses from an elderly cancer patient and a nurse at Northwestern Hospital

Sure, let's give this guy probation like he's a first-time offender who's learned his lesson -- never mind he was on parole for his previous offense when he committed this one. In fact, let's not even make him finish serving out his last sentence after violating his parole!

Then the political class sits around scratching its collective head wondering how to get the burgeoning crime rate under control.

Why is someone with 16 prior convictions even on the streets at all? At what point does society get to say "you've demonstrated no capacity for rehabilitation so you get to spend the rest of your life in a cage"?

Old 12-24-2021, 08:57 PM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
And another one: 20-time convicted burglar is charged with burglarizing Lakeview business (Yes. He’s on parole for burglary.)

"State records show Gordon was paroled in September 2019 on nine concurrent 14-year sentences for burglary. According to Illinois Department of Corrections data, he spent less than seven years in custody before authorities released him.

"When he committed those nine burglaries, Gordon was on parole for two burglaries he committed in 2007 while he was on parole for a 2000 home invasion by force that he committed while on parole for a 1996 burglary that he committed while on parole for a 1992 burglary that he committed while on parole for 1990 burglary that he committed while on parole for five 1988 burglaries."
And what will it cost to bail him out of jail this time? Why, a whole $500.

How in God's name does this man keep getting paroled? Do they take no stock of the fact he violated his previous 317 paroles before paroling him again?

Old 12-25-2021, 12:26 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, my thing is, the “community-based, hands-off” approach where police take a hands off approach, you don’t go after criminals for theft under $1000, light sentences and a reform approach, have proven to be unsuccessful in cities all over the country. There is evidence all over the country that this isn’t working. We’ve seen more lawlessness in the last year and a half that I can ever remember. I can’t remember a time in this country where there has been so much lawlessness in downtowns and nice tourist areas. Criminals have become emboldened, and politicians have become brainwashed that cuddling criminals and not getting police involved is the right approach. Ask every major city in the country how that is working out.......
I just need to comment - I am in Minneapolis and I swear you are talking about this city. It must start much higher up - like at the White House.

Old 12-25-2021, 04:11 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I just need to comment - I am in Minneapolis and I swear you are talking about this city. It must start much higher up - like at the White House.
I wouldn't look for that to happen at all.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:37 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
And another one: 20-time convicted burglar is charged with burglarizing Lakeview business (Yes. He’s on parole for burglary.)

"State records show Gordon was paroled in September 2019 on nine concurrent 14-year sentences for burglary. According to Illinois Department of Corrections data, he spent less than seven years in custody before authorities released him.

"When he committed those nine burglaries, Gordon was on parole for two burglaries he committed in 2007 while he was on parole for a 2000 home invasion by force that he committed while on parole for a 1996 burglary that he committed while on parole for a 1992 burglary that he committed while on parole for 1990 burglary that he committed while on parole for five 1988 burglaries."
And what will it cost to bail him out of jail this time? Why, a whole $500.

How in God's name does this man keep getting paroled? Do they take no stock of the fact he violated his previous 317 paroles before paroling him again?
It is why this city year after year (week after week during many times of the year) makes national headlines for crime, and why this is unfortunately what this city is infamous for. Until there are repercussions, criminals will be back on the street committing crime. And Chicago’s global reputations for being “Chiraq” will continue in perpetuity.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:31 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

If I was living in Chicago and were capable of moving out (job and family wise), I would do it in a heartbeat. The safety of your family should be the #1 concern. The hell with things like entertainment venues.

The chance that New York City can turn their city around is greater than Chicago's. If you get rid of Betelgeuse she'll be replaced with someone like Chucky.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-26-2021 at 11:29 AM..

Old 12-26-2021, 09:11 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
This guy's concerns are going nowhere. Like in Minneapolis, Seattle, and Portland, the lunatics totally control the asylum.

If I was living in Chicago and were capable of moving out (job and family wise), I would do it in a heartbeat. The safety of your family should be the #1 concern. The hell with things like entertainment venues.

The chance that New York City can turn their city around is greater than Chicago's. If you get rid of Betelgeuse she'll be replaced with someone like Chucky.

We need your governor, only I hear she's running for the WH.
She has my vote.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times

Old 12-28-2021, 03:01 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
There's been a huge surge of crime downtown, on the north side and in the suburbs. The criminals on the south and west sides are far more adventurous these days. I'm just surprised it didn't happen sooner. It 's kind of amusing in a way. With Mayor Lightfoot and State's Attorney Kim Foxx at the helm, criminals are more confident than ever. Why shouldn't they be? They have Foxx and Lightfoot on their side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago