Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2022, 06:27 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
^ that's why the fine should be much larger, like millions. No need to waste taxpayer money on putting this dolt in prison. He is a danger only to himself.
Sorry, I completely disagree with you here. For someone like him with money, a “fine” (even a large one- his family is full of actors who can easily cover ‘millions’) is akin to “paying his way out” of punishment.

For someone like Jussie, 150 days in jail will be a daunting task for survival, and he will learn the hard way for what he did. Not that I wish any harm to him, but he is not getting the easy way out. Assuming (and hoping) he makes it out of jail ok, he will never want to set foot back in there.

The reason that criminals keep committing crimes in Chicago and the rest of this country is because of the soft punishments. I will gladly donate my tax dollars so that criminals face real punishments that will make them think twice about committing crimes again. It is money well spent imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 04:32 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Sorry, I completely disagree with you here. For someone like him with money, a “fine” (even a large one- his family is full of actors who can easily cover ‘millions’) is akin to “paying his way out” of punishment.

For someone like Jussie, 150 days in jail will be a daunting task for survival, and he will learn the hard way for what he did. Not that I wish any harm to him, but he is not getting the easy way out. Assuming (and hoping) he makes it out of jail ok, he will never want to set foot back in there.

The reason that criminals keep committing crimes in Chicago and the rest of this country is because of the soft punishments. I will gladly donate my tax dollars so that criminals face real punishments that will make them think twice about committing crimes again. It is money well spent imo.
No problem. I can handle disagreement. But don't mistake what I'm saying. Violent criminals need to be locked up in prison for a long time.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
No problem. I can handle disagreement. But don't mistake what I'm saying. Violent criminals need to be locked up in prison for a long time.
I wasn’t implying that thought differently about violent criminals. I was just pointing out that I believe criminals in general (whether violent or not) need to be punished in a way that will deter crime.

Even though Jussie’s crime was not violent, it was still a crime that wasted tons of time, money, and police resources. Because of his financial status, he (and his wealthy family) would easily be able to pay an expensive fine, so that punishment would be like a slap on the wrist. He can’t pay his way out of jail, so not only will he likely never think about pulling this hoax again after his experience in jail, but he serves as an example for others who may potentially think about committing a crime like that.

There’s a reason people don’t shoplift (a non violent crime) in China. It’s because they can receive up to 10 years in jail, like the UCLA basketball kids almost did.

The larger point I was making is that if we want crime in general to decrease, whether violent or not, the punishments need to be more severe, to deter it.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:30 PM

44 posts, read 34,218 times
Default In 2022, what are realistically the most and least dangerous neighborhoods?

I know that there is a lot of fearmongering about Chicago and how its a "warzone", but realistically, which neighborhoods actually experience the most crime/the least?

Old 05-23-2022, 09:14 AM

82 posts, read 95,661 times
We need to start treating these people who randomly and/or indiscriminately enact violence on their fellow citizens as domestic terrorists. The mayor's office and CPD need to say as much, out loud.

This not a RW-wing position; this concept has been well-documented and discussed previously in mainstream media outlets.

CPD needs to create a special operations task force that tracks down these murderous criminals and would-be criminals, similar to what ARSOF did in Baghdad.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/column...29-column.html

https://www.cnn.com/2013/04/24/opini...ror/index.html

I'm tired of reading community leaders saying that there is not enough resources or safe spaces. Chicago parks and after school youth programs have never been better-funded. If Douglas Park is not safe enough, does that mean Millennium Park should not be safe either?

While noting that Chicago Park District has "general experiences" like day camp, this Professor Pinkard at Northwestern has the audacity to claim that their are not enough "diverse" camps, like a weeklong ceramics camps?! Are you serious. This type of blameless social policy thinking permeates throughout City Hall.

It's time to bring back the spec-ops units and roving patrols.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...n4y-story.html

Old 05-23-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEddy View Post
We need to start treating these people who randomly and/or indiscriminately enact violence on their fellow citizens as domestic terrorists. The mayor's office and CPD need to say as much, out loud.

This not a RW-wing position; this concept has been well-documented and discussed previously in mainstream media outlets.

CPD needs to create a special operations task force that tracks down these murderous criminals and would-be criminals, similar to what ARSOF did in Baghdad.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/column...29-column.html

https://www.cnn.com/2013/04/24/opini...ror/index.html

I'm tired of reading community leaders saying that there is not enough resources or safe spaces. Chicago parks and after school youth programs have never been better-funded. If Douglas Park is not safe enough, does that mean Millennium Park should not be safe either?

While noting that Chicago Park District has "general experiences" like day camp, this Professor Pinkard at Northwestern has the audacity to claim that their are not enough "diverse" camps, like a weeklong ceramics camps?! Are you serious. This type of blameless social policy thinking permeates throughout City Hall.

It's time to bring back the spec-ops units and roving patrols.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...n4y-story.html
I agree with you, but unfortunately we know that, that's not going to happen. The reason that crime has gotten so out of hand in Chicago and has continued to increase for decades on end is because the city (and even state) is weak on crime. Criminals are sometimes released back on the street a few hours after being arrested. They have been "politically correct" in treating crime for decades opting for "community resources" and "community policing," which has obviously done no good.

As beneficial as tough policing (e.g. creating special ops task forces to proactively go after crime) would be, it would not be "politically correct," and the people in charge in the city would never adopt it. This is despite decades of evidence that the other way is not working....

Old 05-23-2022, 07:39 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,231 times
Chicago chooses to shut down businesses instead of fight crime.
McDonalds at Chicago and State shut for "electrical issues" after mass shooting. Guarantee there are none.
Citgo at Chicago and Hamlin forced to close for weeks with long list of rules after murder there. None of that is biz fault.
Check out the CBC Chicago video below...crazy to see what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBh5rPMTfrw

Old 05-23-2022, 07:46 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
The McDonalds was a complete nuisance...should have been closed years ago.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
The McDonalds was a complete nuisance...should have been closed years ago.
Not at all. I frequented there, was always busy and mostly fine. Except for one demographic causing all the problems.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:02 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
dtcbnd03, was the demographic causing all the problems that you refer to: "McDonald lovers between the ages of 18 and 34"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago