Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 10:18 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

Funny AND NOT funny: I believe I was reading an article that there was to be a group of migrants brought to Wilmette.

And all I could think was: There were residents of Wilmette protesting to not have a McDONALD'S in their town; are they going to be more welcoming to have migrants in their town?!?

Am I off base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 12:13 PM

128 posts, read 66,762 times
I find that sickly amusing that a place such as a Wilmette would want such a thing. The entire debacle has me shaking my head in disbelief it could even happen in the first place. But the way this country is headed I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. People wlll soon learn the WILL get what they ask for and it won't be fun nor desirable.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:43 AM

Good morning. Hoping you all were able to do ok with the snow that hit our areas...

Well, according to Chicago's Very Own WGN-9 News: On Tuesday night, the Wilmette Village Board rejected a proposal by the fast-food giant to take over the now-vacant Bakers Square restaurant at 200 Skokie Blvd., near Old Orchard.

So, uhhhh, how 'bout them migrants, in Wilmette???

Old 01-10-2024, 12:24 PM

251 posts, read 197,539 times
I wonder if this guy still wants the supposed 9,000$ on Monday when it's going to be 0 degrees high

Old 01-11-2024, 09:44 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning,

Funny AND NOT funny: I believe I was reading an article that there was to be a group of migrants brought to Wilmette.

And all I could think was: There were residents of Wilmette protesting to not have a McDONALD'S in their town; are they going to be more welcoming to have migrants in their town?!?

Am I off base?
Master Jay! I hope you are well. I think the answer to this will be a resounding no. Winnetka just passed an ordinance essentially prohibiting the migrants for all intents and purposes. I think its neighbors will follow suit. I think they like their wealthy, isolated small town cozy feel as it is. They might take a few for virtue signaling purposes but once their numbers get to large (say over 50 or so), they will put a stop to it, as Oak Park recently did.

https://www.therecordnorthshore.org/...-bus-dropoffs/

Historically, Chicago has sent its problems to the suburbs, such as during the gentrification of the 1990s on forward. This will be harder to do in this case with all the eyes on it. I think they'll end up in powerless suburbs in southern Cook County if anywhere, but certainly not affluent northern and western suburbs.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:10 AM

BRU67, Happy New Year to you! I'm hoping all is well!

Thank you for sharing your comment, and the attachment.

I wonder if buses will start coming in droves of 10 so that it can get away with its intent, given the "10-person clause".

Wow, it will be interesting to see where this situation goes, in 2024!

Take great care!

Old 01-12-2024, 12:51 PM

128 posts, read 66,762 times
You guys sure do crack me up. I got news for ya. NOBODY really wants them. You can spout off all you want about your liberal intents. Our country is currently in enough of an upheaval and not prepared to deal with this additional burden, which it most certainly IS.....more now then ever. We are a seriously divided country at this time and this is only increasing the divide. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a near civil war erupt when the next election time comes around. Mod cut. And as long as good ole' Soros keeps writing those nice fat checks to keep his buddies including that last disastrous president prior to Trump we had influencing the sad direction this country is headed, we'll continue off the deep end. Chicago to me is but a faint memory of what was once a rather vibrant productive city. I feel sorry for those that will have to endure what lies ahead. As they say good luck with that.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-13-2024 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Advocating violence.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:21 PM

UniversalTraveler, for God's sake!!

I've shoveled 3 times already today.

Tell me something POSITIVE! If I have a bad day, I'm holding you responsible!!

Stay safe!

Old 01-12-2024, 04:04 PM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
UniversalTraveler, for God's sake!!

I've shoveled 3 times already today.

Tell me something POSITIVE! If I have a bad day, I'm holding you responsible!!

Stay safe!
He is shoveling something as well - but not snow.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:48 PM

52 posts, read 24,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
You guys sure do crack me up. I got news for ya. NOBODY really wants them. You can spout off all you want about your liberal intents. Our country is currently in enough of an upheaval and not prepared to deal with this additional burden, which it most certainly IS.....more now then ever. We are a seriously divided country at this time and this is only increasing the divide. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a near civil war erupt when the next election time comes around. [Snip.] And as long as good ole' Soros keeps writing those nice fat checks to keep his buddies including that last disastrous president prior to Trump we had influencing the sad direction this country is headed, we'll continue off the deep end. Chicago to me is but a faint memory of what was once a rather vibrant productive city. I feel sorry for those that will have to endure what lies ahead. As they say good luck with that.
Only people I hear threatening a civil war are the slack jawed Trumpies. If that's what they want then I have zero problems with giving them one. They lost the last one and they'll lose this one.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-13-2024 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago