Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:55 AM

154 posts, read 431,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnwzrd View Post
MTNGIG if you want some birds to hit your feeders you should come down my way. (az) put my feeder up last month and have had to refill it 3 times already. Normally have 15 to 20 a day hitting it accourding to the wife. but glad to hear they will be in Springs when i move up there
I was so excited to see the first one showing up (4 weeks ago)... but that's it! Not many at all!! Last year, the birds were fighting over my feeder.. I hang up a 2nd one... but so far.. just a few birds... hmmmm.. is it the weather???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:17 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,190,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
Anyone interested in seeing a bunch of hummingbirds without setting up a feeder of your own, make a visit to the Cog Railway Train Station in Manitou. It's generally teeming with hummers.....dozens and dozens. Well worth the trip.
7 falls is another good spot for seeing Hummingbirds.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 PM

21 posts, read 163,308 times
Exclamation Birds, Birding, and Hummingbirds

Hello everyone,

I am looking to re-locate to Colorado Springs sometime next spring with my husband from Northern Michigan. I work in rehab right now at a nursing home and will be looking to do some travel work there and possibly permanently settle there. We are in our early twenties and are looking for something new and exciting (we've been in Michigan our whole life).

This might seem like a funny question but do you guys get a lot of different hummingbirds there? I am VERY into birding... I have lots of bird feeders and hummingbird feeders. I have been browsing different info and saw that there are like 8 different hummingbird species there... are they all pretty common? We only get the Ruby Throated here. We are very into wildlife and camping/biking/hiking and it sounds like there is lots of that there.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-04-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Hummingbirds are found here, how much depends on just where you are. Tons in certain mountain/foothill areas. On the plains, a little harder to come by, but still there. I don't know about prevalence of different species, but I believe the ruby throated is pretty common.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-04-2009 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times
I've seen very many hummingbirds this year, often humming right outside my office window. I can't say that I've seen many different varieties though, they all look similar and they move so fast. Also, you can expect to see a lot of hawks and falcons near the mountains and along the buttes.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-04-2009 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,165,344 times
Hummingbirds that are pretty common where I live (on the Palmer Divide) are the Broad Tailed Hummingbird and the Rufous Hummingbird. I am not sure what other ones you might find if you looked hard enough. There are plenty of other bird watching opportunities here. We have a small ornamental pond and we get to see all sorts of interesting birds that come to drink or bathe.

And you MUST go to Monte Vista in March to see the Sandhill Cranes - very cool!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,426 times
I LOVE birds too and hate to say I am disappointed with the opportunites of bird watching. What I do get at my birdfeeder is a lot of Pine Grosbeaks (red breasted finches) and Lesser Goldfiches (yellow breasted finches). I also get Robins and Black Crows. I would love to have more variety like Mountain Chickadee or some Titmouses. My hummingbird feeder has only brought Broad-billed hummingbirds.

When I go camping up by Terryall Lake and Lake George, I get so excited when I see a Blue Jay. Up in Winter Park, at the YMCA campground, I actually had to dodge hummingbirds because there were so many! I was so excited!!! Unfortunately I just don't see that much here in the city. I need to be in the country for more variety

Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
You just need to live in a more developed neighborhood - we live not far from you and get plenty of Jays - and we've started seeing Orioles too!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM

21 posts, read 163,308 times
What are some nice more country-like areas nearby Colorado Springs? I am looking to commute max of 30 minutes or so... but I really like it more rural. Right now I live on 3 wooded acres in michigan and I get quite a few different types of birds.. Red Breasted Grosbeak, American Goldfinch, Tufted Titmouse, Black Capped Chickadee, House Finch, Purple Finch.. etc. I only get Ruby Throated Hummingbirds though. I definitely want to live where there are more varieties of birds!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:25 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,426 times
Woodland Park...I think its CO's best kept secret. It is wooded, a romantic vision of what most think of when they think Colorado. Its still reasonably priced too. Commute is what you are looking for too.

Otowi, I am happy to hear you see the Jays, wish I did. But, I am excited to see new birds in VA. Lots of trees there! Would love to see and hear some woodpeckers. When I went a couple weeks ago to check it out, I saw lightening bugs. Yipee! But, I will miss our beautiful, friendly, community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs