Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:20 PM

755 posts, read 2,492,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Sounds like the Charlotte of today will be the Columbus of tomorrow...
Well, I will say that Easton Town Center would be BELOVED in Charlotte - all those chain stores and it's so shiny and new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Well, I will say that Easton Town Center would be BELOVED in Charlotte - all those chain stores and it's so shiny and new.
Ha! Well, if Steiner+Associates have their way, I'm sure Charlotte will get their very own glitzy disneyland-retail-center in due time...

Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 PM

52 posts, read 328,520 times
Hi,
I'm new to OH. Had never been here except in March when we came to buy a house.
I've lived in Chicago, South Carolina and Texas.
Here's my 2 cents--
Columbus ROCKS!
I feel that I have the friendliness I had in Chicago (St Charles), a reasonable cost of living (TX property taxes were insane!) and color! People say its gray here-other than today in the 6 months we've been here I have felt nothing but warmth and color in this town!
We've experienced so much--so many wonderful neighbors (we live in Dublin) and are enjoying ourselves tremendously.
I feel very comfortable saying what another ex Chicagoian said "this city is a hidden gem!"

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:07 PM

98 posts, read 314,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I just moved from Charlotte to Columbus and I will just add that if you love your car and love to sit in traffic, then move to Charlotte. Here in Columbus they seem to build roads which they really don't like to do in Charlotte.

Also, property taxes are lower there, but the county raises property taxes every other year and you pay property tax on your cars in NC, but not in OH.

I have heard Charlotte described as "a city without a soul" or "McCity" because there's nothing there that you can't find anywhere else in the country. So, if you love chain restaurants and big box stores, then Charlotte's the place to be!
I completely disagree with you on this. I too moved to Columbus or Cowlumbus as it should be appropriately called via a transfer, from Charlotte and find Columbus distasteful. Columbus has more chain restaurants and big box stores than Charlotte, this city lives on food and it shows.

Charlotte has excellent high paying jobs, beautiful homes, it's within driving distance to "real" beaches, does not have 6-8 months of winter, it's much cleaner than Columbus, a beautiful ever changing skyline, a great performing arts base, good healthcare system, and Charlotte actually has class.

Yes Charlotte has traffic problems, but it's growing, Columbus isn't growing nearly as fast. Whatever people do please don't compare the two cities as being the same, what an insult to Charlotte! Yes Ohio does not have a car tax or inspections, but have you seen what people in Ohio drive???? They need inspections here to keep 1/2 of the states cars off the road, they are a hazard. I'm moving back down south in 3 years and can't wait, this place is depressing.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times
Quote:
Yes Charlotte has traffic problems, but it's growing, Columbus isn't growing nearly as fast. Whatever people do please don't compare the two cities as being the same, what an insult to Charlotte! Yes Ohio does not have a car tax or inspections, but have you seen what people in Ohio drive???? They need inspections here to keep 1/2 of the states cars off the road, they are a hazard. I'm moving back down south in 3 years and can't wait, this place is depressing.
I am guessing you do not get Columbus style. Where in the city do you live? From the sounds of it your stuck in the sprawl around the outerbelt. Maybe for your last few years here you should try to live around downtown, or in the central city in a place like Clintonville Grandview (if you have a family) or the Short North or German Village. They are much more cosmopolitan and can show you the side of columbus that is hip, classy, artsy, and more culturally unique.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:13 AM

150 posts, read 980,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
I completely disagree with you on this. I too moved to Columbus or Cowlumbus as it should be appropriately called via a transfer, from Charlotte and find Columbus distasteful. Columbus has more chain restaurants and big box stores than Charlotte, this city lives on food and it shows.

Charlotte has excellent high paying jobs, beautiful homes, it's within driving distance to "real" beaches, does not have 6-8 months of winter, it's much cleaner than Columbus, a beautiful ever changing skyline, a great performing arts base, good healthcare system, and Charlotte actually has class.

No one said you have to like Columbus. It's unfortunate you find it distasteful and can't leave immediately. However, if being "within driving distance to real beaches" was an important factor, perhaps you should have examined a map prior to transferring to Ohio. Did you know Ohio isn't bordered by oceans? That's like moving to Charlotte and complaining about lack of Rocky Mountain quality skiing.

Perhaps it's your attitude that's depressing? Oh, and if Charlotte has all the excellent high-paying jobs, why stay here for three more years?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
if being "within driving distance to real beaches" was an important factor, perhaps you should have examined a map prior to transferring to Ohio. Did you know Ohio isn't bordered by oceans?
LOL! That's riot

In response to what west5548 said: It really surprises me that you find such drastic differences between the two, Columbus and Charlotte.

Does Columbus really have that many more big box stores & other sprawly, generic suburban crap? What about the dizzying pace of growth outside 485? What about all that ticky-tack haphazard sprawl now pushing into Gaston, Union, and even Iredell(!) Counties?

My friends who live down there say Charlotte traffic is horrendous, and makes Columbus look like a Sunday drive in the country (they each moved there from here). I complain about Columbus traffic constantly, but they just laugh at me...

As for having "excellent high paying jobs, beautiful homes," etc. I don't doubt you. I'm sure Charlotte has those things in abundance. And especially for the jobs, maybe that's an option I should even consider!

They just better be prepared to offer me $2-3K extra in annual salary if I'm gonna get slapped with a friggin' CAR tax!!! That whole outrageous concept still baffles me...

Anyway, as a Southerner at heart (and by ancestry) I love the South and would be happy to move there someday.

But I gotta say Charlotte would not be my first choice of places to be. It's almost too "Northern" for my tastes—McMansions, urban congestion, and uptight yuppie attitudes...just like here!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:46 PM

98 posts, read 314,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
No one said you have to like Columbus. It's unfortunate you find it distasteful and can't leave immediately. However, if being "within driving distance to real beaches" was an important factor, perhaps you should have examined a map prior to transferring to Ohio. Did you know Ohio isn't bordered by oceans? That's like moving to Charlotte and complaining about lack of Rocky Mountain quality skiing.

Perhaps it's your attitude that's depressing? Oh, and if Charlotte has all the excellent high-paying jobs, why stay here for three more years?

Can't be my attitude, must be the state. Afterall Ohio did rank as one of the top most depressing states in the country. Must be the endless winters and lack of sunlight that makes everyone so happy here. You see a lot of license plates from Ohio down south and I have no idea why.....

Last edited by west5548; 12-17-2007 at 08:58 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 41,438 times
Default Forget Columbus and go for Charlotte.

I have been to both places and I would definately move to NC over Columbus. Columbus sucks real bad, it has some good people but the city government is ungodly.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post

Wow, Charlotte better than Columbus?!?! Charlotte doesn't even have the cultural ammenities that Columbus has. Columbus isn't growing fast? That is news to me. They are growing at a very good rate. Charlotte is growing out of control and facing many problems that it didn't face the year before. This goes on every year for Charlotte. Charlotte has a terrible infrastructure, a decaying public transit. Charlotte is facing this because of the population growth. North Carolina is so overrated. I to wanted to leave Ohio, but as soon as I got to college I saw what Ohio had to offer. Give it 5-10 years and North Carolina will be another Florida. Too expensive to live in, crime rates out the roof, and over population and suburban sprawl.

We are already seeing Floridians move to Ohio, give it a decade and you will see North Carolinans move to Ohio. You don't even know the problems NC is facing now, wait until 5 years from now. North Carolina is depressing. The grass isn't greener on the other side people. Going through college, wanting to be an urban planner, I have visited many city councils and worked along side with them for training. Charlotte's was a joke. They don't even know how to handle the growth. Charlotte and NC are overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus